DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Icon
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, now that it looks like OTA is coming, I have a dlimemna. I am not the handiest type to start drilling holes through my ceiling and running cable through my attic and figure out where to run the cables too, and all that. So, I'm thinking I have two options:

1) See if I can get the D* installer to install an OTA antenna when he installs my new dish for HD (as he'll have to replace my old one to get HD)

2) Use an indoor antenna

Now, if I go with option 1, firstly, will I be able to get the D* installer to install an antenna (and will I have to purchase one prior to him arriving), and secondly, what do you think he would charge if he'll do it?

If I go with option 2, anntennaweb.org pretty much says I need a high gain outdoor antenna to get a good protion of the digital channels (mostly in the red, blue and purple). As I am about 30 miles outside of NY and with the NYC congestion in the airwaves, with a simple set of rabbit ears or a butterfly UHF antenna, I cannot get much of anything, is there a good indoor antenna that would be worth trying despite what the website says or will I just be spinning my wheels?

Of course there is a third option which is just go with the HD that I get with D* and I can watch the others via basic cable, but I'd have to record them SD on D*

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
Steveknj said:
OK, now that it looks like OTA is coming, I have a dlimemna. I am not the handiest type to start drilling holes through my ceiling and running cable through my attic and figure out where to run the cables too, and all that. So, I'm thinking I have two options:

1) See if I can get the D* installer to install an OTA antenna when he installs my new dish for HD (as he'll have to replace my old one to get HD)

2) Use an indoor antenna

Now, if I go with option 1, firstly, will I be able to get the D* installer to install an antenna (and will I have to purchase one prior to him arriving), and secondly, what do you think he would charge if he'll do it?

If I go with option 2, anntennaweb.org pretty much says I need a high gain outdoor antenna to get a good protion of the digital channels (mostly in the red, blue and purple). As I am about 30 miles outside of NY and with the NYC congestion in the airwaves, with a simple set of rabbit ears or a butterfly UHF antenna, I cannot get much of anything, is there a good indoor antenna that would be worth trying despite what the website says or will I just be spinning my wheels?

Of course there is a third option which is just go with the HD that I get with D* and I can watch the others via basic cable, but I'd have to record them SD on D*
Forget the indoor antenna, unless you put it up in the attic and it is a typical high gain uhf antenna. Look at the Radio Shack U-75 or the next UHF model up. At 30 miles the U-75 should work very well if you get it outside or well up in the air a bit . It only costs about 25 bucks, so it's not an expensive experiment.

If the D* guy will install your antenna, I think I'd have a U-75 and enough cable laying around so he could put it up for you. I don't know if he has the mounting hardware or not...in which case you need a way to mount a short mast to the peak of the roof (at the end of the house, typically)..and the short mast itself. All available at Radio Shack.

30 miles is no big deal for a very moderate (Like the U-75) UHF antenna. It is 40 inches long and has a corner reflector. good luck

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
Meklos said:
Are there any VHF stations you're looking for, or just UHF exclusively?
Darn, new I forgot something. In my post I was assuming that all your HD OTA was on UHF (typically), but it may not be the case for you in particular.

·
Icon
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Meklos said:
Are there any VHF stations you're looking for, or just UHF exclusively?
Well, I don't know what stations would be UHF and what would be VHF. Essentially I'd be looking for all the subchannels for ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox. Both the HD primary and subchannels for CW, My and PBS. (ALL are on VHF in SD in my area). There's also a couple of other PBS channels that are more local to me that is on UHF. There's also the Philadelphia demo that I'll bet a good outdoor antenna would pick up, but they aren't that necessary. Philly is about 60 miles from me and with a bad set of rabbit ears I could pick up those channels with lots of static

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.