DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Hall Of Fame
8,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it looks like Best Buy has confirmed February 24th launch of the 10.1" Motorola XOOM Android tablet from Verizon Wireless, alongside a $799.99 heavy price-tag.

I will be one to line up for this for sure!!! :D

·
DaBears
6,085 Posts
I don't think it will be an i-pad launch at all but I think it will be more popular than people think. Remember people who have spent money on android apps are more apt to get this than an i-pad. There is a wi-fi only version as well. This is offered through Verizon but I've never seen where you have to have service to use wi-fi.

·
Registered
32,456 Posts
dennisj00 said:
I'm not sure there will be a line. . .
I suspect it will be a short line at that price. ;)

There are some rumors that they will either lower the price right about the release date, soon thereafter, and/or have another model $200 less. All rumors...but alot of competitive jockeying going on prior to iPad II.

·
Large Member
4,867 Posts
$799! So much for an "iPad killer." :lol:

When the iPad 2 cames out they will probably drop the original to $399 then watch all Androids drop like rocks in price. Anxiously awaiting the iPad 2 so I can get a decent Android tablet cheap.

·
Hall Of Fame
8,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
dpeters11 said:
It is possible that price is just a placeholder.
Well, the Link I put in my Post stated $799 so I would think that would probably be the Price as anything higher than that probably wouldn't sell very good especially if you have to couple that with a Data Plan for WiFi or 3G internet Access.

·
Hall Of Fame
16,344 Posts
richierich said:
Well, the Link I put in my Post stated $799 so I would think that would probably be the Price as anything higher than that probably wouldn't sell very good especially if you have to couple that with a Data Plan for WiFi or 3G internet Access.
I'm not convinced it will sell that well at $799 either. But I've been surprised before.

·
Hall Of Fame
8,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
dpeters11 said:
I'm not convinced it will sell that well at $799 either. But I've been surprised before.
Especially if the IPAD 2 comes out a month later at a $600 Price Tag. They will have to drop their price at that point and that is when I will be ready to consider the XOOM!!!

·
Hall Of Fame
8,969 Posts
I will buy a Xoom (or something very, very like it), but I will wait for a WiFi-only model. My phone is already a perfectly-good hotspot when I'm away from WiFi.

·
Hall Of Fame
8,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
BattleZone said:
I will buy a Xoom (or something very, very like it), but I will wait for a WiFi-only model. My phone is already a perfectly-good hotspot when I'm away from WiFi.
I'm thinking that may be a long way down the road as they are Locking WiFi if you don't have a Data Plan so it appears they are trying to force everyone initially to sign up for the data plan to generate as much revenue as possible while interest is high and then later on as sales drop they may roll out the WiFi Version that doesn't require a data plan.

And hopefully prices will drop by then.

·
Hall Of Fame
8,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, the Bestbuy Link has been removed from the Bestbuy.com Website so I guess they are getting ready to put up the real one with a $699 Price Tag with Activation of a Data Plan.

Not many people will spring for the Verizon Xoom at that price.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.