DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Icon
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been monitoring Best Buy's stock on the HR20 via the website and since Black Friday there has been vitually no stock available in 4 markets that I would have access to buying it in a store, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Greenville SC and Orlando.

I have been checking other states randomly and not too many stores have them. At the most, 1 or 2 stores randomly over the last two weeks.

In checking Orlando this morning I noticed 3 stores in that area that now have stock. I am trying to decide if I should have my daughter pick me one up or wait until I can get a deal direct through Directv when supplies are more available. Decisions, decisions!!:lol:

Just for the heck of it I'll mention that a while ago(Oct?) I posted on here I think about the fact I tried to get a Charter Cable HD DVR installed(yes, right now I have cable too), but they were supposedly backordered until January. Well, I am having one installed tomorrow. No minimum commitment so I thought I'd check it out and see about their premium HD package PQ as compared to Directv, and the functionality of the DVR($14.99/month). I'll let you all know if anyone is interested.

·
Icon
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oakdale Minnesota now has stock. I could have my brother pick me one up. He needs one two as he is still feeding his HDTV with a little d10? He needs the d5 LNB dish though too.

·
Banned
1,614 Posts
MikeR7 said:
Oakdale Minnesota now has stock. I could have my brother pick me one up. He needs one two as he is still feeding his HDTV with a little d10? He needs the d5 LNB dish though too.
Don't count on it. I walked in the same store one day and said - I would like to buy an HR20. Without even blinking the guy says- We don't have any right now. I said - Did you check the computer ? , the bestbuy website says you have some in stock here right now. He says - I know we don't have any right now, we had a few but they sell out fast. I was being nice about it and he was kind of a jerk about it. I went to circuitcity the next day and bought one.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,777 Posts
A couple Circuit Citys in my area have them in stock - at least according to their website. It also looks like you can have it shipped from the CC website.

·
DBSTalk Club Member
460 Posts
Now here's one I haven't heard before. I managed to find a lone HR20 at a Best Buy about 40 miles from my house -- I drove down, picked it up, drove back, opened the box only to discover that it is missing the remote, the power cable, the manual and whatever else is supposed to be in there. The only thing in the box was the HR20 itself, and the (sealed) access card!

The box had a legit looking, unbroken DirecTV seal on it, so I am guessing the factory left out the bag with all the accessories. D'oh! Hopefully they will accept a return at any location, as there is one a lot closer than 40 miles ...

·
Icon
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK, they are starting to pop up in Wisconsin. The website says Green Bay has some, and La Crosse and Janesville too, as well as Menomonee Falls for a couple days now. Not in Wausau or Stevens Point which are closest to me.

G

·
None of the Best Buys here in Atlanta have them, but I was able to order it from their website. It's on its way.

·
DBSTalk Club Member
460 Posts
Hey that's cool! I returned mine to Best Buy because it was missing all the accessories. The store didn't have any more, so they said they would ship one to me. Supposed to be here by Monday.

·
2 Posts
I ordered two HR-20 700's from Bestbuy's website on December 8, and with ground shipping, recieved them yesterday, December 11.

Great picture, but terrible features, highlighted by the no duel buffer gripe and the lousy guide. Also, I have an antenna plugged into the antenna port but the box won't recognize it, is this the OTA issue I've been hearing about, or is the box defective?

·
Hall Of Fame
1,020 Posts
poz235 said:
I ordered two HR-20 700's from Bestbuy's website on December 8, and with ground shipping, recieved them yesterday, December 11.

Great picture, but terrible features, highlighted by the no duel buffer gripe and the lousy guide. Also, I have an antenna plugged into the antenna port but the box won't recognize it, is this the OTA issue I've been hearing about, or is the box defective?
What version of software do you have?

If you do not have version OX104 or OX108 then OTA has not been activated on your box yet and will not be until you get the newer software.

·
Icon
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It is truly amazing how fast these things fly off the shelves once they are in stock at BB. I've gotten on the waiting list from D* cause I figure I might send in one of the h20's I have for $99 off if they notify me(got one of them free).

For a piece of equipment that has been getting so many knocks here, it sure seems like a lot of people want them anyway!:)

·
RBR Hitit tillit bricksit
266 Posts
MikeR7 said:
For a piece of equipment that has been getting so many knocks here, it sure seems like a lot of people want them anyway!:)
Most are unaware of the problems listed here. They assume the sales and marketing stuff is true.

·
5 Posts
poz235 said:

Ordered mine from the BestBuy website day after Thanksgiving, it was backordered and got it on 5 Dec!

G

·
Got mine yesterday. Ordered it from the BB website and got it without any delay. Paid $22 for 2nd-day shipping.

·
Cool Member
28 Posts
Ordered mine off Best Buy webste on 12/13, its scheduled to be delivered on 12/18 and have installer coming in on 12/20. Paying for the shipping & taxes which makes it about $30+$299. D* is giving me the $299 credit so $30 to be able to use HD & DVR for the bowl games is well worth it. Hopefully everything works. I'm pumped up!

·
Icon
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I still have been watching the stock in the stores via their website. For a short period a number of stores in Wisconsin have had some. As of today, only the Racine store has them in stock and none of the Minnesota stores have them. For an item that people love to hate, they are still flying off the shelves. I didn't get the best buy gift cards(I got Target and Amazon.com gift cert) I thought I was going to get so I am still holding off on ordering. I think I will now wait until the black ones are available.

·
Icon
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Wow, amazing! Just since I posted this yesterday the HR20's showed up in at least 10 Wisconsin Best Buy locations. Coincidence that that many stores got shipments today, or did someone from Best Buy read my post yesterday and send out a message to the stores to update their inventories on the website?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.