DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Legend
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Besides locals in HD. What are people's best guesses as to what new stations Direct will add within the next year? I assume more HD channels (HGTV HD,etc).

·
Banned
231 Posts
zipbags said:
Besides locals in HD. What are people's best guesses as to what new stations Direct will add within the next year? I assume more HD channels (HGTV HD,etc).
NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC HD

MTV HD

BBC HD

The burden will become finding quality sources, instead of being able to provide.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,020 Posts
Starz HD and National Geographic HD

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
Honestly..

Once the new SATs go up...
Pretty much all HD Networks that are not under exclusive contract with other carriers.... or are "priced" in such a way that DBS can afford to carry them (INHD for example).

·
Hall Of Fame
1,020 Posts
Earl,

Once the new birds are up and running do you thing their is a chance that D* will carry any of the Voom channels or are those under an exclusive contract with E*

I know that if you go to the Voom site on their contact page it has a link for a carrier to contact them if they are interested in carrying voom.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
Mavrick said:
Earl,

Once the new birds are up and running do you thing their is a chance that D* will carry any of the Voom channels or are those under an exclusive contract with E*

I know that if you go to the Voom site on their contact page it has a link for a carrier to contact them if they are interested in carrying voom.
I don't know the specifics... but I know recently there was talk that FOX is considering creating their on HD networks similar to that of VOOM..

I would hazard to guess that they are an E* exclusive at least in the DBS market.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,020 Posts
crockett said:
A few more religious channels and foreign language channels, a nice mixture of SD and HD.
I would rather see the Paint Drying HD channel or the Grass Growing HD channel! :D

Although QVC HD would be a good addition! :D

·
Cool Member
19 Posts
If they start broadcasting HGTV and Food network in HD I'm not so sure I'll ever get the 'd?mn' TV back from the wife.

Although, I wouldn't mind seeing Giada in a little higher resolution if you know what I mean... :eek2:

·
Godfather
306 Posts
I'd like to see the other couple HBOs (Comedy and Zone), Starz HD, Cinemax HD, and ESPN Deportes (if its still around).

It would be nice to have all of the movie channels in HD, along with all of the games on the sports subscriptions (NFLST, EI, NBA, etc) in HD.

That's what I would like, but I will predict that there will be very few significant additions in the next year.

·
Hall Of Fame
12,971 Posts
It is hard to predict. Because once there is a major distributor out there with the ability to deliver 150 HD channels, the sources will start popping up.

Right now, if you start a new HD channel, you cannot get on D*, you have to fight for any bandwidth on cable systems (and probably won't get it unless you are a heavyweight) and would have to fight for whatever E* has left (which ain't much).

There is little chance of a startup happening now. But when D* can deliver, the doors open up. You have at least one viable way of getting your signal to the customer. You hold plans off until that happens.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,422 Posts
Elistan98 said:
Im hoping for an anime based channel like anime network or funimation. Of course if they do get more hd channels ill seriously look into getting a hd receiver finally.
Is there any HD (or even widescreen) content currently available in that genre? They can't play Steam Boy episodes 24/7.

Having seen some of the content on Voom's Animania, you don't want to go there.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,422 Posts
ocomik said:
If they start broadcasting HGTV and Food network in HD I'm not so sure I'll ever get the 'd?mn' TV back from the wife.
E* currently carries both channels in their HD package.

·
Hall Of Fame
4,873 Posts
Doesn't Fox own National Geographic HD? That'll be one.

And I predict Fox will start a HD-package similar to Voom. That is probably one thing Murdoch had in mind when he made his (exaggerated) comment.

·
Cool Member
24 Posts
What about all the regional FSNs? I mean some people can get their own FSN in HD, but what about a "HD SportsPak" that includes ALL the FSNs in HD?

I would love to be able to get Arizona Wildcat basketball games in HD here in Charlotte. I have to suffer another year in SD only. :)

Also, History Channel HD should be out in 2007. Modern Marvels in HD!

·
Legend
208 Posts
shopping channels and anime in hd? what a waste of bandwidth that would be. the regional sports nets should be priorities and all the major broadcast networks too. shopping and anime. incredible!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.