DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Cool Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pardon the HD newbie question - I searched but did not find! :grin:

I've been holding off getting HD equipment because we mostly watch the big 5 networks, I can't get OTA anything up in the mountains where we live, and, with 4 TiVos, I'm a confirmed DVR-only watcher! :lol:

Today's research now shows me that both D* and E* have Denver HD locals for ABC/NBC/CBS/FOX. That covers pretty much everything for us except CW (Smallville and Gilmore Girls). So maybe I'm now ready to add on HD to my system.

But I have no idea which HDTV to get, and I'd like to know which are good matches with the 622 E* DVR. Or, at least I'd like to know which ones to avoid!

Price wise I'm probably leaning to a LED flat panel or DLP rear projection, but I might be interested in plasma if I can get one that works at 9300 feet altitude. I've heard they make a loud buzz over 7000 feet!

Do I need to make sure it has all inputs (HDMI, DVI, component), etc?

What resolution? (1080, 720, yada yada it has me all confused! :( )

· Godfather/Supporter
1,437 Posts
Forget Plasma above 5000 ft. Trust me.

Go with LCD 1080P if you have the extra cash. Samsung is looking extremely well these days.

Get as many HDMI ports as you can. At least 2. DVI is dead so don't bother looking for it.

· Hall Of Fame
1,086 Posts
ibglowin said:
Forget Plasma above 5000 ft. Trust me.

Go with LCD 1080P if you have the extra cash. Samsung is looking extremely well these days.

Get as many HDMI ports as you can. At least 2. DVI is dead so don't bother looking for it.
Why should 1 forget a Plasma above 500ft? What diff does altitude have to do w/ the function of a Plasma display?

· Hall Of Fame
2,294 Posts
I run a westinghouse LCD 32" and I'm typing on it right now as my computer display too. I'd want at least HDMI and Component inputs as well as S-Video and a Tuner and VGA 15 pin in case you wanted to connect the computer easily. The more inputs the more flexible it will be when you want to hook up other things to it.

I'm running 622 HDMI in
DVD recorder component in
DVD player component in.
Computer VGA in
Older Dish 721, older DVD changer and VHS in via a HT in a box sound system for audio and video switching.
and basic cable to the tuner just in case I want to watch something while the 622 and 721 are busy. So far never but just in case.

· Hall Of Fame
4,010 Posts
whatchel1 said:
Why should 1 forget a Plasma above 500ft? What diff does altitude have to do w/ the function of a Plasma display?
The construction of the plasma matrix is susceptible to premature failure and/or degradation of brightness at high altitude. The two flat plates of glass flex outward more under low atmospheric pressure. Note the altitude mentioned was 5,000 ft.

· RichardParker II
939 Posts
I would suppose that if a person could find a plasma display manufactured at 5000 or 9000 feet, it would work fine there but probably not at sea level. I doubt there would be much call for such a display though as compared to those of us that live a lot closer to sea level.
In any case, my next TV will most likely be an LCD display. They run cooler and use a lot less power. For now, I luv my Samsung DLP.

· Legend
152 Posts
I, too, have nothing but good experience and great viewing from my Samsung DLP. Big seller for me was that the major wear component is a bulb that, when the need arises, I will be able to replace myself with a screwdriver. Have also heard that there are major issues with plasma at higher altitudes -- I have heard there is an irritating buzz whenever the set is on. Also heard that Zenith made a set specifically for higher altitudes but find that hard to believe. Finally, whichever set you get -- don't get a screen too big for your viewing distance. I have been invited to watch football at more neighbors' houses with screens too big for the room than you can imagine -- it really does make for a poor viewing experience.

· Icon
625 Posts
Back in April we bought the Sony that's in my sig. The only TV that I thought had a better picture was the Sony 40" LCD Flat Pannel. I'm glad we went to the 50" but that 40" Bravia (sp?) was a GREAT picture.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.