DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Legend
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started this thread to find out if anyone has found reasonable recovery from the recent rash of DVR freezing following Pause (or other trick play).

I have "only" had 2 freezes. Both times after pausing recording. Both times HR20-700 became unresponsive until RBR. RBR takes about 20 minutes, which I don't think is a reasonable recovery.

Based on many posts on this site, the freezes started about 2 weeks ago and usually occurs after pausing a recording, but it has also been reported following other trick-plays (e.g. FF) and also following trick-play on live TV. It has occurred with both 0x235 and 0x251 firmware versions and on most HR2x models (I have HR20-700 running 0x235).

After my two freezes, I went into my normal zombie mode, and after a zillion key punches, the DVR was past any hope of recovery and required RBR.

I have seen a few posts that indicate that if you wait about 5 minutes, the DVR will unfreeze on its own. This is better response than RBR, but requires an exercise in patience (not one of my strengths).

One poster (on page 4 of HR20-700 0x235 Issues thread) has been able to recovery from freeze following pause of recording by hitting EXIT followed by PREV. I have not been able to force a freeze to try this out.

Has anyone else been able to recover from freeze without RBR?

· Premium Member
41,526 Posts
I have seen this too. Sometimes it seems like only a "slight derailing" and a key press or two [or waiting] will return it to functioning, while other times, all I've seemed to do is drive it further into a crash.
I think everybody is waiting for the next national release which we all hope will come soon and fix this.

· Registered
31,115 Posts
veryoldschool said:
I have seen this too. Sometimes it seems like only a "slight derailing" and a key press or two [or waiting] will return it to functioning, while other times, all I've seemed to do is drive it further into a crash.
I think everybody is waiting for the next national release which we all hope will come soon and fix this.
...and these symptoms are showing up on multiple device models as well...

The DirecTV folks' goal is to get a new National Release out ASAP to fix the issues.

· Hall Of Fame
3,433 Posts
Yup. All HR20's here as well. It appears to span 0x235-0x251's NR as well as 0x250-0x254 CE's, a global issue with these receivers. Wonder who did what? I'll try the EXIT > PREVIOUS next time I see this, but for now I'm avoiding the PAUSE button like the plague. No freezes since I started doing that.

· Hall Of Fame
2,287 Posts
cartrivision said:
Does anyone know if scheduled recordings continue if in progress at the time of this specific freeze or get started if the start time occurs during the freeze?
I have one data point that says "yes", but the record light remains lit past the scheduled stop time. It appears that the recording itself, however, ended on time. Not sure if a recording would start.

But, as I said, that's just one data point.

· Cool Member
10 Posts
I read over at DirecTV forum on their site that it might be an HDMI issue again. I removed my HDMI cable and reattachedd via the component and have not had a freeze since. This was on a brand new box with a forced update to latest software.

· Hall Of Fame
4,922 Posts
I'm not sure that it was the same type of freeze but I've had recordings continue sucessfully (recording already started) while the box appeared frozen. The show recorded during the freeze played back fine.

· RIP
6,203 Posts
Recoding did continue for me and stopped properly, but even after six hours...I got busy and just left it locked up the box didn't come back.

We have experienced the lockup on HR20-700s and an HR21-200.

I tried disconnecting the sat feeds on one to see if going to 0 signal would trigger the alert and free the machine...no luck.

I tried shutting down my media server to see if that alert would do the same thing...again no luck.

5 Posts
kpurcell said:
I read over at DirecTV forum on their site that it might be an HDMI issue again. I removed my HDMI cable and reattachedd via the component and have not had a freeze since. This was on a brand new box with a forced update to latest software.
I don't think it's a HDMI issue. I've already had 3 lockups in the past week and I have it connected with a component cable. I never used an HDMI cable with this box. I thought my HR20-700 was starting to fail, but it seems like there are lots of people with the same issues.

· Hall Of Fame
3,433 Posts
kpurcell said:
I read over at DirecTV forum on their site that it might be an HDMI issue again........
I think I'll stick with DBSTalk......:nono2:

· Cool Member
28 Posts
I started seeing this about 4 days ago, for the first time ever. I have an HR20-100 and have had it since they first started shipping. It has worked flawlessly, even while everyone was reporting all the issues early on.

Live TV works fine, however I've had issues with watching random recorded shows. Basically, it locks up. The first time it was after a pause, then last night while watching deadliest catch it would lock on its own. I was able to FF a few minutes then resume play. Very annoying. Later I watched another recorded program with no issues at all.

I can't believe this is an HDMI issue, everything has been fine until recently. Was there a recent software update?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.