DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What generally is the best setting for watching sd material? I previously had everything set to 1080i for ease, but now have a new tv and we don't really watch the hd channels much. I just want the best sd quality and I'll switch resolutions for the hd. I keep switching between resolutions and 480p looks the best to me. What are most people using and what looks best?

· Godfather
299 Posts
mstone26 said:
What generally is the best setting for watching sd material? I previously had everything set to 1080i for ease, but now have a new tv and we don't really watch the hd channels much. I just want the best sd quality and I'll switch resolutions for the hd. I keep switching between resolutions and 480p looks the best to me. What are most people using and what looks best?
There's really no such thing as "best" except on any individual piece of equipment. If 480p looks better for you, that means that your TV does a better job of upscaling than the dish unit (shocker! :) )

I personally stay at 1080i because I watch a lot of network HD material and I can't be bothered to change things constantly. However, after tweaking my TV settings the SD output at 1080i looks pretty good... I've got no complaints.

3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So what do most people have their boxes set to? It seems to me that watching sd programming in 1080i is a bit too much upconversion. My plasma set is 1024x768, so regular channels would be upconverted to 1080i, then scaled to fit my native resolution. It just seems better to me to not go through all of this conversion and watch sd channels in 480p. I don't think the 811 box has a very good scaler either.

· Hall Of Fame
3,055 Posts
I too have a plasma like yours, and I've found that 1080i is the best middle ground for HD and SD, however for HD I find 720p looks better. Typically I leave it in 720p unless a SD show looks really bad then I change to 1080i.

· Mentor
34 Posts
I keep it set at 1080i because almost everything I watch is HD. I have found that on some SD channels, the output from my old 501 with a s-video cable looks better than the same SD channel on the 622.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.