DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· AllStar
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
So we have two boxes, on 622 and one 211. Currently we are using the TV2 out of the 622 to route the signal back to our non-HD tv in a bedroom. But as we are replacing the non-HD tv with an HD one soon, we would like to get another HD box.

I do not think we have a contract (commitment) with Dish, and would like to stay this way. What would be the best/cheapest way to get another 711 or 222 box for the TV and what are the expected costs?

Thanks!

· Hall Of Fame
8,968 Posts
If you don't want a commitment, your only option is to buy (not lease) a receiver from a Dish retailer. Expect to pay:

ViP211 - $240
ViP222 - $300
ViP612 - $350
ViP722 - $450

You will also need to buy any necessary dish/LNB/switch hardware to get a signal to the receiver, as well as handle installation.

The other alternative is the Dish'n It Up program, which is a lease upgrade and requires a 2 year commitment. You will be limited to a ViP211 or ViP612 due to the lease limit of 4 TVs. Upfront costs will be much lower, and installation is included.

· Hall Of Fame
5,581 Posts
pred02 said:
Hi,
So we have two boxes, on 622 and one 211. Currently we are using the TV2 out of the 622 to route the signal back to our non-HD tv in a bedroom. But as we are replacing the non-HD tv with an HD one soon, we would like to get another HD box.

I do not think we have a contract (commitment) with Dish, and would like to stay this way. What would be the best/cheapest way to get another 711 or 222 box for the TV and what are the expected costs?

Thanks!
No contract meansBUY IT CASH MONEY a lease will require a contract. A 211 will probably be the cheapest HDTV MPEG4 receiver. With 2 receivers you will also need a switch probably a DPP44. Have fun shopping I would guess you will start at about $300 to avoid a contract between switch and receiver.

· Hall Of Fame
5,581 Posts
IIP said:
A DPP44 switch is close to $200 by itself.
I found 2 listings on Ebay for $49.99 buy it now with $19.99 shipping brand new. I am also watching 2 211s that are still under $100 I expect these will sell in the $150-175 range so just under $300 it should be possible.:)

· Hall Of Fame
8,968 Posts
boba said:
I found 2 listings on Ebay for $49.99 buy it now with $19.99 shipping brand new.
Good luck. Unfortunately, eBay means no warranty. At least 1 out of 20 of the new switches I buy directly from Dish is bad, and sometimes it's more like 1 in 10.

Lots of stuff that "fell off the back of a truck" on eBay. ;)

· Hall Of Fame
1,286 Posts
Good luck. Unfortunately, eBay means no warranty. At least 1 out of 20 of the new switches I buy directly from Dish is bad, and sometimes it's more like 1 in 10.
dhpp would cover it as long as it was not bad due to obvious abuse.

· AllStar
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
boba said:
I found 2 listings on Ebay for $49.99 buy it now with $19.99 shipping brand new. I am also watching 2 211s that are still under $100 I expect these will sell in the $150-175 range so just under $300 it should be possible.:)
I have the DPP44 as well, bought it about a year ago but never got to install it (was renovating the attic then so I though it would be a good time to install it to no avail).

· Hall Of Fame
8,968 Posts
bradneal said:
Peano,
On the 722, will you have to pay the subscription fee to use the DVR? Or does it just work once you hook it up?
You *always* pay a programming fee (and a DVR fee in this case), whether you own or lease the receiver. There is no (useful) free programming.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.