DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Cool Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't if anyone is aware of this or not but don't do a power button or power cord restart. It could cause you to lose all you dvr recordings. Let me explain. In my guide I lost my analog local channels and my program guide information for my ota hd channels. After running diagnostics and not finding a problem I powered down both of my 622's and restarted them. Upon restart, I received a message on screen that the hard drive had been corrupted on both 622's and that all my recordings were lost. I called Dish and was told that because I had placed an order for the new Pittsburgh HD channels the previous day that my analog channels and program information was stopped until a new dish is installed for Pittsburgh HD local channels on the 30th of December. Of course, it would have been nice if, yesterday, the service rep told me that he was shutting off my local channels and information for ota hd until a new dish was installed. The service rep explained that with the 622 receivers when you do a power cord or front panel reboot that most of the time your dvr programs will be lost. Another words, even if you have a minor power outage your programs may be lost. With the older models, (921, 942, 501) this was not a problem. I find this hard to believe. Has anyone run into this problem? According to the service rep, never do a reboot unless there is a problem that can't be resolved in any other way or you may lose all saved programming. I can't wait to hear the replies on this one.

· Mentor
35 Posts
jackson3 said:
I don't if anyone is aware of this or not but don't do a power button or power cord restart. It could cause you to lose all you dvr recordings. Let me explain. In my guide I lost my analog local channels and my program guide information for my ota hd channels. After running diagnostics and not finding a problem I powered down both of my 622's and restarted them. Upon restart, I received a message on screen that the hard drive had been corrupted on both 622's and that all my recordings were lost. I called Dish and was told that because I had placed an order for the new Pittsburgh HD channels the previous day that my analog channels and program information was stopped until a new dish is installed for Pittsburgh HD local channels on the 30th of December. Of course, it would have been nice if, yesterday, the service rep told me that he was shutting off my local channels and information for ota hd until a new dish was installed. The service rep explained that with the 622 receivers when you do a power cord or front panel reboot that most of the time your dvr programs will be lost. Another words, even if you have a minor power outage your programs may be lost. With the older models, (921, 942, 501) this was not a problem. I find this hard to believe. Has anyone run into this problem? According to the service rep, never do a reboot unless there is a problem that can't be resolved in any other way or you may lose all saved programming. I can't wait to hear the replies on this one.
I have done many restarts, and NEVER had a problem.

· Godfather/Supporter
773 Posts
jackson3 said:
It's hard to believe because it's not true. I have done many front panel and power cord reboots and never experienced what you describe.
As far as what the CSR told you, I have no clue how that works or if that may have something to do with what happened to you. I don't know why Dish would need to, or make any programming changes before the new equipment is actually installed. Seems funny to me. Not to bash Dish but I have found that in some cases you can take what the CSR's tell you with a grain of salt.

· Mentor
35 Posts
jackson3 said:
Sounds like you get the bogus 'Hard drive Corrupt" message that has a seperate thread in this forum.

· Icon
599 Posts
jackson3 said:
The service rep explained that with the 622 receivers when you do a power cord or front panel reboot that most of the time your dvr programs will be lost.
That service rep is wrong. You're the 1st person I've read of who has this "problem" too and I'll bet you're not the 1st one who's ever turned their 622 off....

· 622 Tips & Trick Keeper
9,883 Posts
As others have said. Simple not true. Under normal reset (Both soft and hard) you will not loose you recordings.

As for the corrupt.. Are you saying that you actually did lose recordings or did you just loose timers? There have been a couple reports of lost recordings, but those are very few and far between.

Other members have gotten a bogus corrupt message and after a reboot everything is fine.. From reports this seems to be tied to the Dish On Demand feature of the 622.

· Cool Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I didn't hit the select button but waited until, today, to try another power reboot and both of my 622s started back up with no problem and no loss of programming. I think you guys are right about the csr not being very knowledgeable. Now, I just have to wait until the 30th to get my local program guide back. On a side note, I just checked on my rebate and I am no longer a customer. I guess another call to Dish about this one. Thanks for all your replies.

· Legend
108 Posts
I have gone through four (4) 622s for various reasons. I must have done power reboots and pulling the plug reboot cumulatively about 250 times, and never lost a recorded program or a timer, the best that I can recall. The original poster talks about a "service rep." If he meant a CSR (Customer Service Rep), I would again make my plea that nobody should ever ask for technical advice, or accept technical advice from a CSR. That is what Tech Support is for, and heaven knows they have enough trouble being on the same page. The Voice menu gives you choices that clearly state which number to press for technical help. On my last replacement, I discovered a separate number to punch just for replacement help. That lady knew her business and made sure I had done all the right things and had all the right readings before she let me say goodbye.

It may actually be different internally at E*, but in my opinion, CSRs should be restricted to taking orders, changing packages, initializing additional receivers, and the like. In a long letter I am writing to Charlie (with copies to all senior managers), one of the major points I make is the inconsistent and contradictory information provided by CSRs and Techs. Even some of my contacts within E* are urging me to write the letter.

I was a marketing director in a $9 billion company and also oversaw tech support. I once had a company that wrote, edited, and published software and hardware manuals. I have been fiddling with audio/video since high school (1950s) when my dad was an RCA sound distributor and had a custom electronics shop. Join me in writing well-reasoned and constructive letters to E* management. Phone calls and e-mails have a way of getting lost or ignored.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.