DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Cool Member
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have 7 TVs. I am trying to set up 2 new 4K TVs and 5 1080P TVs. I am eligible for a DirecTv upgrade. Currently we have 2 HR22-100, H23-600, and 4 H25-500 devices. It would be nice to have a wireless connection but not required. We have the current devices wired via coax. Is there extra cost for the video bridge other than maybe an initial cost? Is it possible to have 2 4K TVs?

Looking for advice on the best devices to set up from DirecTv.

· This Space for Sale
7,436 Posts
bobneedshelp said:
We have 7 TVs. I am trying to set up 2 new 4K TVs and 5 1080P TVs. I am eligible for a DirecTv upgrade. Currently we have 2 HR22-100, H23-600, and 4 H25-500 devices. It would be nice to have a wireless connection but not required. We have the current devices wired via coax. Is there extra cost for the video bridge other than maybe an initial cost? Is it possible to have 2 4K TVs?

If you have everything wired now, good idea to keep it that way.... IMO. The wireless video bridge sometimes costs $99, but you won't know until you call.

At this time, you can only watch one 4K streaming at a time. If you don't have an 4K RVU TV, you'll need an HR54 (can be on any TV) and the C61K on each of your 4K TVs.

I'd call and see about getting a Genie (to replace your H23) and keep the 4 H25s. When the installer gets there, be real nice to him and maybe you can get both your HR22s swapped with HR24s.

If you want a 4K TV hooked up (not much 4K via DIRECTV right now), get a C61K and get rid of one of the 25s.

DON'T give up your 2 HRs....DIRECTV will try to swap those out with Genie minis. But if you do that, you'll have 5 tuners on your Genie trying to support 6 other devices for recordings and playback.

It sounds like you need more than 5 tuners with your 7 TVs.

· Registered
9,461 Posts
bobneedshelp said:

The HR54/minis setup is limited to watching one live 4K broadcast at a time. Trade in three of your H25 for a HR54 & (2)C61.

I seem to remember the C61 cannot be wireless because of 4K.

Reactions: bobneedshelp

· Cool Member
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think one of the devices is mislabeled on my account. We have 2 DVRs and the other 5 are smaller devices. There are probably 5 H25s.

I'm updating this post with the following edit:
I inventoried all of the devices and my original post has the correct devices.

We have 2 HR22-100, H23-600, and 4 H25-500 devices.

· Cool Member
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all for the suggestions above.

It sounds like the advice is to:

Replace the H23 with the Genie and replace a H25 with a C61K to be able to get one 4K stream to share between my two 4K TVs.
Keep both HR22 devices.
Keep the remaining 3 H25s.
Also see if the installer will take my HR22s and swap them with HR24s.

This would give me 2 - HR22, 1 - Genie, 1 - C61K, and 3 - H25.

For the remaining 3 H25s
What is the pro / con of having more C61K's vs an H25's?
Doesn't the Genie give you 5 tuners so that I could replace all H25 devices with C61K devices?
When using the Genie for 4K, does that limit number of other devices or can I still get 4 other C61Ks plus a 4K stream at the same time?

Guess I'm trying to understand if there is any benefit of an H25 over a C61K and if a 4K stream makes any difference in this mix.
Is it possible to have 2 - 4K streams?

· Hall Of Fame
10,062 Posts
bobneedshelp said:
Thank you all for the suggestions above.

It sounds like the advice is to:

Replace the H23 with the Genie and replace a H25 with a C61K to be able to get one 4K stream to share between my two 4K TVs.
Keep both HR22 devices.
Keep the remaining 3 H25s.
Also see if the installer will take my HR22s and swap them with HR24s.

This would give me 2 - HR22, 1 - Genie, 1 - C61K, and 3 - H25.

For the remaining 3 H25s
What is the pro / con of having more C61K's vs an H25's?
Doesn't the Genie give you 5 tuners so that I could replace all H25 devices with C61K devices?
When using the Genie for 4K, does that limit number of other devices or can I still get 4 other C61Ks plus a 4K stream at the same time?

Guess I'm trying to understand if there is any benefit of an H25 over a C61K and if a 4K stream makes any difference in this mix.
The Genie can show programming on the TV it is hooked to and supply channels for 3 clients / c?1s. This leaves just 1 tuner to record with if the 3 clients are running and using a tuner.
The H25 has it's own tuner and does not take away from the Genie unless you are playing a recording from it on the H25.

· Genius.
19,830 Posts
bobneedshelp said:
no, not at this time. With two or more C61Ks you can stream to all regular HD at the same time but just one 4K at the same time

Sent from my iPad Pro using Tapatalk

· This Space for Sale
7,436 Posts
bobneedshelp said:
I decided to go with 2 C61Ks and a Genie as I may want to get another 4K TV in the future. Getting rid of the H23 and 2 H25s.

Thanks for all of the responses.
and you're going to sweet talk the installer to swap out your old HR22s..... so watch any recordings you have on those now.

· Registered
9,461 Posts
bobneedshelp said:
I decided to go with 2 C61Ks and a Genie as I may want to get another 4K TV in the future. Getting rid of the H23 and 2 H25s.

The current HR54/C61 combo can only stream 4K to one C61 at a time.

Before you get stuck in DirecTV limbo with their all generations being the same BS, I would hold off on the second C61 and wait to see what AT&T/DirecTV does next with 4K.

· Registered
24,395 Posts
Drucifer said:
The current HR54/C61 combo can only stream 4K to one C61 at a time.

Before you get stuck in DirecTV limbo with their all generations being the same BS, I would hold off on the second C61 and wait to see what AT&T/DirecTV does next with 4K.
I wouldn't worry about it. I have a feeling the next generation will be considered a different device than the genie. Plus do you think there will even be a need to stream 2 4K channels at the same time in the next couple years?

· Registered
9,461 Posts
inkahauts said:
I wouldn't worry about it. I have a feeling the next generation will be considered a different device than the genie. Plus do you think there will even be a need to stream 2 4K channels at the same time in the next couple years?
Maybe

And it will depend on sports 4K broadcasting.

· Cool Member
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Only issue that I see with this is that the installer told me that the Genie doesn't directly support 4K unless you have a Directv certified 4K TV. I don't have one of those as I have a 65" LG EF9500. So basically I needed a Genie and 2 C61Ks (1 for each 4K TV).

I tried to talk the installer into the DVR upgrade and that was not going to happen.

· This Space for Sale
7,436 Posts
bobneedshelp said:
Only issue that I see with this is that the installer told me that the Genie doesn't directly support 4K unless you have a Directv certified 4K TV. I don't have one of those as I have a 65" LG EF9500. So basically I needed a Genie and 2 C61Ks (1 for each 4K TV).
V You knew that on the 3rd.
V
V
bobneedshelp said:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.