DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
DBSTalk Club Member
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, here's the story. In June, I decided to take the plunge and go HD. I bought my TV (Panny TH-42PX60U) and called D* to discuss the hardware upgrade from my UTV (oh how I miss that unit). After much rangling, I got the HR10-250 for about $230 and a two-year commitment and was assured that when HD locals came out and the HR20 was released I could swap them at no charge. They did this to keep me from jumping to Time Warner (which I really didn't want anyway). I got my HR10 and have been pretty happy so far (Sunday Ticket and SuperFan are incredible).

Now fast forward to today. I call retention to discuss the hardware swap as my locals are coming soon and I wanted to get on the list. The CSR says the notes don't indicate that I get a free swap and that she can't do anything but give me a number to call and get on the waiting list. I ask to speak to the super and he advises the same but offers a $99 upgrade promo (which is apparently going to be the advertised deal). I tell him I appreciate that but committed to the HR10 under the agreement of a free upgrade. He doesn't budge so the call ends.

So here's my quandry: do I pay the $99 and get the new unit or stick to principal, pay the $250 cancellation fee and jump to Time Warner or Dish (preferred)? I'm thinking I can get some kind of promo from one of them that will cover the $150 difference between the options (I'm paying $100 either way). I've been happy with D* for about 7-8 years now and they've given me some good deals so far (free superfan, package discounts, etc.) but I have a problem with not keeping your word. I know it's a he said/she said issue but I've always been straight with them so they should be straight with me. Have I maybe gone to the well on too many times? Am I being unreasonable? I've only had the HR10 for 4-5 months so it's not like I'm asking to switch a 2 year old unit.

Also, any current D* users that have switched from Dish? What are your thoughts on the comparisons between the two?

Thanks for taking the time to read this and any input is welcomed.

Deuce

·
DBSTalk Club Member
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess I should have clarified that the Supervisor I talked to was a retention supervisor so I'm kinda at a dead end there.

I do get most of my locals OTA. However, when the 6.3a software was released I swear it broke my OTA reception. None of them work well now and they were great before the upgrade. I haven't gotten on the roof to see if the antenna shifted (two-story house) but I am going to plug the connection directly into the TV tonight and see if the reception is better. If so then I'll know for sure.

The interactivity is the main reason I like th HR20. I've delayed getting a Media Center device because the HR20 is supposed to have that functionality soon. So, we'll see.

·
DBSTalk Club Member
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK. I just ran a test on my OTA signal by plugging the coax directly into the TV's tuner. While not perfect, the reception was much better and stations that wouldn't come in on the HR10 came in pretty good on the TV and those that were spotty on the HR10 were stable on the TV. So, what did the geniuses at Tivo do to the OTA in the upgrade?

That said, boba makes a good point with the "why give away something they can't keep in stock?"

:(

·
DBSTalk Club Member
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wolffpack said:
Don't feel alone there. I noticed the same with one of my units but it took a long time to nail the OTA signal problems to the 6.3a upgrade. I've since gone back to 3.1.5 and my OTA signal is back to normal and FOX audio dropouts are gone.

If you're at all comfortable with pulling a HD and putting it in a PC you may want to look into the InstantCake CD from http://www.ptvupgrade.com/products/instantcake/. Get the version for the HR10-250 with 3.1.5f. I've not used this, I had my own mfstools backup, but I understand once you hook up the CD and drive correctly in your PC it's a simple matter of getting the good ole 3.1.5 (slow as it is) working.
Actually, I'm a technical sales rep and have built many a PC. I've looked at the InstantCake route and it's tempting. The thing that sux is that since I came from a Micro$oft UTV I love the folder view and speed increase that came with 6.3a. I'm thinking about putting a splitter on the antenna coax and running one into the HR10 and one into the TV and if something is on that I really want to watch and it won't come in on the HR10 then I'll watch it on TV. Hopefully they'll get it fixed before Feb. when 24 starts back up.

·
DBSTalk Club Member
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
JLucPicard said:
If you did want to upgrade to the HR20 now (warts and all), I would imagine that by talking to Retention you could get the $99 upgrade (they did not even take my HR10-250 back as I kept it active as well) and they could work you some free programming things or possibly some monthly credits for a year to make up for the $99. Depends on your account history with them, but you may be able to work a deal that will essentially get you the HR20 for free after all is said and done.

Good luck!
I thought of that too. I offered to split the difference and he said he couldn't do that and I asked for $50 worth of programming and he wouldn't do that. It was strange...almost like I wasn't even talking to retention. :confused:

·
DBSTalk Club Member
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As a final question for the night, the cable that I have connected to the OTA antenna is a 75' RG59U. I know for the dish I should use RG6 but does that hold true for the OTA antenna too? And is the length too much?

·
DBSTalk Club Member
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
kaysersoze,
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to wait until the first of the year and just split the OTA signal between my HR10 and TV. Maybe by then they'll have some in stock and I can get the HR20 for free.

cybrsurfer,
Do you think the 75' (maybe 100') cable is too long? I can cut it down significantly but don't want to do that if it doesn't matter.

Thanks!

·
DBSTalk Club Member
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, it's funny how things work. In taking Kapeman's lead, I signed up for the HR20 on the website just to see what would happen. Oddly enough I got a voicemail on the 21st saying the HR20 was available and to call an 800 number to schedule the install. I also discovered that HD locals have been turned on in here in Greensboro so I'm thinking they may be basing HR20 availability on where locals are available due to the OTA issue.

So, I guess I need to call them and see how much they want to charge me to get the HR20. I'm also wondering if I want it based on stability. Decisions...decisions...:confused:

·
DBSTalk Club Member
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, I just called. The install supervisor told me that the priority list is for those willing to pay $299 on a credit card with no discount. She said due to the short supply the system won't even let them sell me one and bill it to my account. Oh, well. I wasn't in the mood to argue the point. She said to call back in a month or so and they should have the $99 upgrade option available and that I could keep my HR10 which I should be able to eBay for the difference. She also said that there are a bunch of programming changes coming down the pipe in the next few months but wouldn't elaborate.

As a side note, she appeared a bit concerned about the possibility of D* being sold. We were discussing Vid on Demand and how it would be delivered. Seems that's coming soon.

Have a good weekend. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.