DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Legend
Joined
·
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not really sure where to put to thread thread since it is affecting two different DVR models my house. When I record any HD content on my local fox affiliate (not ota), despite my pass being set for HD versions of shows (sd hidden) it is recording in sd. But here is the weird part. Some commercials are in HD during the episode. Live TV is in HD. Even the station logo in the bottom corner is in hd. Just the recordings are not. happened with fringe on Friday and again tonight with all the animated shows. Checked the settings and nothing has changed in any season pass or box settings. I am at a loss as to what it's going on. In Phoenix and affiliate is ksaz.
 

·
AllStar
Joined
·
98 Posts
KSAZ is currently showing Wendy Williams (SD) so I'll set my DVR for the Noon News which I know is in HD, and I'll let ya know what happens on my end.
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
8,071 Posts
AquiringSat said:
KSAZ is currently showing Wendy Williams (SD) so I'll set my DVR for the Noon News which I know is in HD, and I'll let ya know what happens on my end.
OK, but for test purposes even though shows like Wendy Williams are natively in SD, the signal carried on DIRECTV's HD channel for that station is up-converted to the station's HD format and should still be able serve the same as a native HD signal would for your testing.
 

·
Legend
Joined
·
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
AquiringSat said:
KSAZ is currently showing Wendy Williams (SD) so I'll set my DVR for the Noon News which I know is in HD, and I'll let ya know what happens on my end.
Could you do me a favor? Try recording either of the primetime shows tonight (Alcatraz/House) and let me know if they are OK. If so, that would significantly reduce the possibilities as to what is going wrong and be a huge help.

In the interim, I'm going to call DirecTV and speak with technical support.
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
8,071 Posts
Deftones said:
I've also escalated this up to their "engineers" to see if they can figure out. The support tech had absolutely no idea what was going on.
Just to make sure its not some sort of kooky software hang-up, have you tried simply deleting the problematic series link. Rebooting the receiver then setting up the SL again?

And when you setup the SL for this station does the upcoming recording correctly display in the Todo list as set for the HD channel?
 

·
New Member
Joined
·
7 Posts
I'm having the exact same issue, in Scottsdale. It really seems like a issue on ksaz's end although looking on ksaz's sight showed nothing that any problem currently exists. On thing I been meaning to check but haven't is if when the programs are airing live, is it displaying in hd. If not, then it has to be on the station's end.
 

·
Legend
Joined
·
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ssahnan said:
I'm having the exact same issue, in Scottsdale. It really seems like a issue on ksaz's end although looking on ksaz's sight showed nothing that any problem currently exists. On thing I been meaning to check but haven't is if when the programs are airing live, is it displaying in hd. If not, then it has to be on the station's end.
Interesting. So I'm not the only one. It's weird. The news is in HD. I saw another primetime episode in HD the other day, but when I checked last night (Alcatraz/House), neither was showing in HD, even though the station logo said it was in HD and they are both showing up in HD on the guide and list.
 

·
New Member
Joined
·
7 Posts
I posted on directv's service twitter feed, response was no reported issues on there end and to call in. Further responses didn't get a response back so I'll have to call in. Might not hurt to contact ksaz as well. Seems like a disconnect between the hd network feed being sent
 

·
Legend
Joined
·
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ssahnan said:
I posted on directv's service twitter feed, response was no reported issues on there end and to call in. Further responses didn't get a response back so I'll have to call in. Might not hurt to contact ksaz as well. Seems like a disconnect between the hd network feed being sent
If you could, call it in to DirecTV too. When I called, the tech said there weren't any reports. The more people calling in, the more likely it will be that they look into it.
 

·
Large Member
Joined
·
4,867 Posts
I've seen that on Fox before out of NYC but only for a few minutes and not recently. The show would suddenly either change to SD or start in SD and after 5-15 minutes fix itself. Commercials were HD. Same on all sets AND OTA so it obviously was a FOX issue.

It also sometimes happens when a station puts up a local "crawl" on the top or bottom for weather or other announcement over a show. The show underneath shrinks down to 4:3.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top