DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Good night dear Smoke... love you & "got your butt
5,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a second odd thing I noticed this morning after the reset (see Bizzaro HR20 Part 1 post).
I went to "List" and I noticed that my free space capacity went down from 70+% before the reset to 23%. Now what?:eek2: I had read about that happening with the new upgrade but I had "oxfa" since it came down from the sky.
Sooo I perused my list and everything looked good until I got down to the bottom of the list when I noticed that I had 11 recordings of "War Games-HD". That's right 11 recordings. Now I remember hitting record when I saw it in the guide and that the record "sun" didn't appear so I did hit it a few more times but that was last week and I don't remember if I did anything else.
I went through each one and sure enough I had 11 recordings from the same broadcast.:eek:
After I deleted all 11 of them my free capacity jumped up to 78%.
So obviously I don't the non-recording problems that others have had....I have an overly exuberant recording machine.:lol:

Or maybe I found a hidden feature....? Coool.:rolleyes:

· Registered
4,880 Posts
sigma1914 said:
Or maybe you hit record twice? Another user error getting turned into a "bad unit" post.
User error? I doubt it. I don't see how pressing record twice would cause it to store multiple copies of a recording. Usually when you hit record it will toggle between record/cancel or record once/SL/cancel depending on which screen you're currently on.

Perhaps by BubblePuppy hitting the record button repeatedly it did cause the duplicates, but it is hardly user error. The HR20 was not giving any indication that his record command was received and processed correctly. This is clearly some issue with the HR20.

Guys, I know there have been a lot of useless threads as of late; that is why I don't post nearly as much as I used to. But don't go dismissing other peoples problems so quickly. We're here to help each other after all :)

5,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just found this curious.
As far as my HR20 being a "bad" unit it is not. It has not missed a recording or deleted any recordings on it's own. In fact it hasn't even locked up once since I had it. It has worked just fine.
My only real complaint has been the worthless CC I'm having on the local HD channels.

· Registered
4,880 Posts
BubblePuppy said:
As far as my HR20 being a "bad" unit it is not. It has not missed a recording or deleted any recordings on it's own. In fact it hasn't even locked up once since I had it. It has worked just fine.
Find some wood to knock on! QUICKLY!!! :lol:

5,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
PoitNarf said:
Find some wood to knock on! QUICKLY!!! :lol:
:thats:
Believe me after what I have been reading about other peoples problems with the HR20 I am walking around knocking on every piece of wood I can find.;)

· Icon
550 Posts
BubblePuppy said:
Here is a second odd thing I noticed this morning after the reset (see Bizzaro HR20 Part 1 post).
I went to "List" and I noticed that my free space capacity went down from 70+% before the reset to 23%. Now what?:eek2: I had read about that happening with the new upgrade but I had "oxfa" since it came down from the sky.
Sooo I perused my list and everything looked good until I got down to the bottom of the list when I noticed that I had 11 recordings of "War Games-HD". That's right 11 recordings. Now I remember hitting record when I saw it in the guide and that the record "sun" didn't appear so I did hit it a few more times but that was last week and I don't remember if I did anything else.
I went through each one and sure enough I had 11 recordings from the same broadcast.:eek:
After I deleted all 11 of them my free capacity jumped up to 78%.
So obviously I don't the non-recording problems that others have had....I have an overly exuberant recording machine.:lol:

Or maybe I found a hidden feature....? Coool.:rolleyes:
I have had this happen one time myself about two months ago. I wrote it off to some weird anomaly in either what I did or the machine. In my case though it was only three recordings of the same show thankfully :)

5,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
But that raises an interesting question, did it really make 11 actual discrete recordings at the same time or just one recording and 11 "bookmarks" so to speak. Disk space did go down from 70+% to 23%. After each delete the free disk space percentage went up. So did each "bookmark" tell the machine how much %'age to take off? When a deletion is made are you actually deleting the whole recording or just the marker?

· Icon
550 Posts
BubblePuppy said:
But that raises an interesting question, did it really make 11 actual discrete recordings at the same time or just one recording and 11 "bookmarks" so to speak. Disk space did go down from 70+% to 23%. After each delete the free disk space percentage went up. So did each "bookmark" tell the machine how much %'age to take off? When a deletion is made are you actually deleting the whole recording or just the marker?
The time it happened to me, the system clearly thought the disk space was consumed by each recording as the free space went up with each delete. I personally felt it was just some weirdness that has never cropped up again or that I could ever reproduce.

The truly interesting thing would be to try and play each recording before deleting it. Something I never thought to try the one time it happened to me.

5,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
lguvenoz said:
The time it happened to me, the system clearly thought the disk space was consumed by each recording as the free space went up with each delete. I personally felt it was just some weirdness that has never cropped up again or that I could ever reproduce.

The truly interesting thing would be to try and play each recording before deleting it. Something I never thought to try the one time it happened to me.
I did play the first few seconds of each one before I deleted it and yep it was there after each deletion.
Strange.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.