DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Legend
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My R15-500 had black screen this morning. Had to reformat to get it back. A weird thing happened last night. I was watching my R11 and the picture went blank for a second and then returned to normal. At the very same time, my wife was watching on our Samsung and her picture went blank and stayed blank. Had to change to another channel then back to the original program to get it back. The R15-300 in another room seemed okay, it was on, and seemed okay. The R15-500 was on, but the TV was off, and it wasn't until this morning I found the black screen. Power spike perhaps? Any thoughts? No, I don't have a UPS.

· Super Moderator
12,437 Posts
Black screen is a problem that several have reported. I have experienced it on two R15's. Usually a reset (as opposed to a reformat) corrects the problem. Changing channels may get your picture back.

Don't know what is causing this, or what is needed to correct it.

Carl

· Legend
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
carl6 said:
Black screen is a problem that several have reported. I have experienced it on two R15's. Usually a reset (as opposed to a reformat) corrects the problem. Changing channels may get your picture back.

Don't know what is causing this, or what is needed to correct it.

Carl
Well, of course, the reformat was the LAST resort. I tried many resets and also forced code d/loads prior to the reformat. Bad news is, it has been unstable since. Two behind the door red button resets in the last eight hours :(

Just tried the 'reset everything' from the menu, which I could not do before, as I could not access the menu (black screen).

Being an R15 owner is never boring!

· Legend
133 Posts
I have owned a UPS and the reason I don't want to get another one is that they all have low battery alarms which cant be disabled.The problem is that if you should be in a long power outage, like over a week, and the battery should weaken and the alarm sounds, there is no way to shut the alarm off except to open the unit and rip the wires off the battery which is not easy, especially during a power failure. It is a very loud alarm, why even have this stupid alarm, why not a low battery indicator light, because they want you to destroy the unit, like I did, to stop the blaring alarm and go out and buy another one.

· Cool Member
26 Posts
unsub said:
I have owned a UPS and the reason I don't want to get another one is that they all have low battery alarms which cant be disabled.The problem is that if you should be in a long power outage, like over a week, and the battery should weaken and the alarm sounds, there is no way to shut the alarm off except to open the unit and rip the wires off the battery which is not easy, especially during a power failure. It is a very loud alarm, why even have this stupid alarm, why not a low battery indicator light, because they want you to destroy the unit, like I did, to stop the blaring alarm and go out and buy another one.
Why not just shut the UPS off? I know with all of our APC Ups' they have a shutoff switch once the alarms sounds, turn the device off, turn off the ups. :up:

JW

· Legend
133 Posts
I had a APC UPS, paid $40 @ Circuit City, it had NO switch. Alarm was so loud it could be heard down the road , couldnt throw the thing in a dumpster either, still could hear it, had to destroy it. You must have a more expensive model.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.