DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came back to from work tonight and went to watch the basketball game I had recorded. When I turned on the HR20 the screen was black for every channel and had no audio. The menus however still worked and I could go from channel to channel.

I had to stop the recording and reset the receiver with the red button on the front. This caused me to miss 10 minutes of recording while doing this. The recording was in tact and worked well when I played it after the restart but this was a big pain to have to do.

It's the 3rd day I have this unit and I had to resart the box already ! Does this happen often ?

·
Icon
765 Posts
Datoupee said:
I came back to from work tonight and went to watch the basketball game I had recorded. When I turned on the HR20 the screen was black for every channel and had no audio. The menus however still worked and I could go from channel to channel.

I had to stop the recording and reset the receiver with the red button on the front. This caused me to miss 10 minutes of recording while doing this. The recording was in tact and worked well when I played it after the restart but this was a big pain to have to do.

It's the 3rd day I have this unit and I had to resart the box already ! Does this happen often ?
It happens to me about once a week, as reported in Iacas (spelling?) thread quest for bugs and fixes pdf. However with mine I just change channels a couple times and it seems ok then eventually. Yup, menus work, and even what its recording is still being recorded as verified after I get th picture/audo back. It just isn't outputting to the tv for some reason.

·
I used to be a rocket scientist
12,182 Posts
Often? No, not for us. We've had four situations requiring resets in 7-1/2 weeks. Three of them were due to GUI lockups while deleting a program after playing it or selecting one to play from the Playlist - all of these involved MPEG2 SD programming. The fourth reset (the second in chronological order) was the Friday after Thanksgiving when I realized that ten recordings in a row, starting with the NFL Networks' HD game Thanksgiving night, were black screen/unwatchables. After that reset, all those recordings were deleted and the box has recorded everything perfectly. If D* could just get rid of the occasional GUI lockups and fix broken things like padding properly and "Channels I receive", etc., the box would be about perfect for us. I'm ready for an update.

·
Legend
132 Posts
Datoupee said:
Often? The question reminds me of a classic scene from "Annie Hall".

[Alvy and Annie are seeing their therapists at the same time on a split screen]
Alvy Singer's Therapist: How often do you sleep together?
Annie Hall's Therapist: Do you have sex often?
Alvy Singer: [lamenting] Hardly ever. Maybe three times a week.
Annie Hall: [annoyed] Constantly. I'd say three times a week.

I think on the board it's the same sort of thing for about 2 RBRs per month. That would be "constantly" if you've lost a real-time/non-rebroadcasted program, or "hardly ever" if the box froze up when satellite surfing. ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.