DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Mentor
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Have an HR20-100 that has worked pretty much error free since I signed up for service about a year ago. Starting earlier this week, I'm suddenly having a problem with all scheduled recordings. When I call them up in the play list, I immediately get a black screen with the message asking if I want to keep or delete the recording. The recording length information shown is correct for the lenth of the show recorded.

Also, if a scheduled recording is in process and I try to view that channel live, I get a black screen with a searching for satellite error (771). Same result if I try to watch an in process recording from the playlist.

If I'm watching a channel and select record, no problemo.

The 771 is definitely related only to the show being recorded. All over channels can be viewed without a problem and if I cancel an in process recording, then after a minute or two, I can view that channel. Just to be sure, I checked signal strengths and they appear normal (high 80s - 100)

Tried doing a menu reset and RBR, no fix. Interestingly, when I did the resets, any recordings in the playlist that had this problem were deleted from the playlist.

Any ideas? I hate to lose this box and some of the recordings I've saved.

Thanks,

Jim

· Mentor
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
texasbrit said:
You need to check your signals on both tuners, to see if you have a signal strength issue on one tuner but not the other. That would explain the erratic behavior.
Thanks texasbrit. I did see some significant differences between tuner 1 and 2. Looks like 2 is acting flakey, as there is variation in the signal levels, going as low as 0.

I checked all my connections and everything is tight. Does this mean the box is the most likely cause?

Jim

· Cool Member
14 Posts
Its very possible that it is... You can try to swap the cables from 1 to 2 and vice verse, if the test still shows the same issue with one of the tuner ports being "flakey" it may be the turner port going back. I had to have my box swapped recently due to this problem as well.

· Mentor
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Think I've confirmed it's the box. I swapped cables between 1 and 2 and the problem didn't move with the cables. Also, many of the signal strengths are now 0, no fluctuation at all.

Guess I have to call D and get a new box :(

Was thinking that I could disconnect tuner 1 (1 is bad, not 2 as reported earlier) and still get my scheduled recordings, assuming nothing else is being watched during the recording.

Anyone think of a reason why this wouldn't work until I get a new box?

And thanks to all for the help :)

· Mentor
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
rudeney said:
When you say you swapped cables, I assume you did this with the BBC's still attached to the *cable* and not the HR2x, right? If you left the BBC's connected to the HR2x and just swapped the cable only, then you need to swap BBC's, to, to eliminate them form the equation.
Actually, I swapped the bbc's also. Thanks anyway.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.