DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I come home today and discover that the power had gone out at some point. I reset the clocks etc. Soon after I see that the blue power and orange record lights on my DTV DVR are blinking. I try pressing the power button, but nothing happens. I go behind the E. Ctr and unplug the thing, wait a few seconds and plug it back in - no effect, still blinky. I press the little red reset button - no effect, still blinky.

When I turn it on it says Weak or No Signal.

So I call up DTV and wait about 10 minutes to talk to someone. I tell her what happened and what I've already tried. She then basically asks me to do it all over again ( :rolleyes: ) which I do - no effect. She asks if I have the input from the TV set correctly (as opposed to DVD or video game). I say yes. She says, "How do you know?" :icon_dumm I manage to convince her that I do know.

She says, OK, we'll ship you a new one, but you must cover S&H of $20.

Questions:
  1. Anyone have any suggestions to resolve this?
  2. If I do get a new box, where are my saved programs? On the box or on the card? Translation: will I lose them?

· Hall Of Fame
2,239 Posts
If you replace the box you will lose all your recordings. Try leaving the unit unplugged for a few minutes and see if that gets it to reset.

Oh and :welcome_s :welcome_s

3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
dhhaines said:
If you replace the box you will lose all your recordings. Try leaving the unit unplugged for a few minutes and see if that gets it to reset.

Oh and :welcome_s :welcome_s
Thanks dh.

I left it unplugged for about 2 hours and when I plugged it in they were still blinking, but they were fainter - like power was being drained or something.

I don't think I mentioned it, but we also have a basic (non-DVR) box upstairs and it still works normally.

· RF Engineer
4,324 Posts
Sounds like when your power went out and came back on the spike wiped out your power supply in the DVR.

If you get these power outages often, it might be a good idea to get a small UPS designed for a home computer and hook it to the DVR. That should avoid similar incidents in the future.

Oh, and a word to the wise: during thunderstorms UNPLUG it!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.