DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Icon
835 Posts
I figured that this would happen. I'm sure all of the video rental stores will close within a year. It's a lot cheaper and more effective to set up vending machines all over the place then to maintain and staff a B&M store. Besides, they are concentrating on streaming anyhow.

·
Registered
6,532 Posts
jsk said:
I figured that this would happen. I'm sure all of the video rental stores will close within a year. ...... Besides, they are concentrating on streaming anyhow.
Yet a mom and pop shop in my parent's town is still going strong. I still go there when I want an older movie. They buy all their copies, so everything they ever had is in a back room lined up on shelves.

Not a big fan of "streaming". If I can do a download, then play its OK, but I don't have the bandwidth to stream an HD movie with good quality.

I wonder though if my BB store is on the list. It is a corporate store and it used to be the training store for other stores, but half of them have closed. Now there is are three Redboxes within a couple of miles including one across the street. Not sure how if it can hang on.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,482 Posts
jsk said:
It's a lot cheaper and more effective to set up vending machines all over the place then to maintain and staff a B&M store.
As it happens, Blockbuster has no kiosks and doesn't seem inclined to compete with NCR in that space.

·
Icon
835 Posts
harsh said:
As it happens, Blockbuster has no kiosks and doesn't seem inclined to compete with NCR in that space.
They do have kiosks. The strange thing is that when I went to blockbuster.com, I thought you might be right because I couldn't find any mention of kiosks. But a quick Google search came up with Blockbusterexpress.com which are their kiosks. Strange that they don't promote Blockbusterexpress.com from Blockbuster.com. Even if you search for stores on Blockbuster.com, you don't see the kiosks listed.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,359 Posts
jsk said:
They do have kiosks. The strange thing is that when I went to blockbuster.com, I thought you might be right because I couldn't find any mention of kiosks. But a quick Google search came up with Blockbusterexpress.com which are their kiosks. Strange that they don't promote Blockbusterexpress.com from Blockbuster.com. Even if you search for stores on Blockbuster.com, you don't see the kiosks listed.
Dish doesn't own the kiosks NCR does, they just lease the name from Dish...

·
Hall Of Fame
6,226 Posts
jsk said:
I figured that this would happen. I'm sure all of the video rental stores will close within a year. It's a lot cheaper and more effective to set up vending machines all over the place then to maintain and staff a B&M store. Besides, they are concentrating on streaming anyhow.
I've never seen a Blockbuster anywhere in the East Bay where I live.

·
Legend
225 Posts
Herdfan said:
Yet a mom and pop shop in my parent's town is still going strong. I still go there when I want an older movie. They buy all their copies, so everything they ever had is in a back room lined up on shelves.

Not a big fan of "streaming". If I can do a download, then play its OK, but I don't have the bandwidth to stream an HD movie with good quality.

I wonder though if my BB store is on the list. It is a corporate store and it used to be the training store for other stores, but half of them have closed. Now there is are three Redboxes within a couple of miles including one across the street. Not sure how if it can hang on.
Yeah, I'm not a big fan of watching 3 seconds of movie for every 5 minutes of wait either.

Offline medium in an offline player FTW!

·
Mentor
31 Posts
I go to the local store all the time. I go to return my DVD by mail, and, get a new one same day. This gives me more movies per month. I see a pile of DVDs that other customers have brought in, I suppoose they may them all back in one box instead of paying postage for each. Still, I like getting 12 movies per month.

·
Icon
862 Posts
sfatula said:
I go to the local store all the time. I go to return my DVD by mail, and, get a new one same day. This gives me more movies per month. I see a pile of DVDs that other customers have brought in, I suppoose they may them all back in one box instead of paying postage for each. Still, I like getting 12 movies per month.
Me too. That's exactly what I do. If you have a local store near by the Blockbuster Movie Pass is a great deal.

·
Icon
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
sfatula said:
I go to the local store all the time. I go to return my DVD by mail, and, get a new one same day. This gives me more movies per month. I see a pile of DVDs that other customers have brought in, I suppose they may them all back in one box instead of paying postage for each. Still, I like getting 12 movies per month.
Same here and i can tell you my store always has customers, day, night, late, early weekday, weekend it doesnt matter. It looks like most of them arent dish customers so they are paying more money for their rentals. My blockbuster seems to be doing pretty good.

·
Icon
1,029 Posts
Just went to return a BB mailed disk at my local Blockbuster in Sunnyvale. Big sign on the door saying they are closing March 3. Too bad, it was a nice store with a big selection and always lots of people in there. Dish/BB is going to have to fix their online system as it is probably the worst interface for finding a movie. Netflix has it all over them in terms of ease of building a queue. If Dish begins charging for their streaming on a separate basis from the $10 HD package, I'll drop it like a hot potato and go back to Netflix or Redbox. I am really only interested in the latest movies so streaming an old library is not going to cut it for me.

·
Icon
862 Posts
I returned a movie to my local BB and asked about possible closings. The manager told me they would not only be staying around but they will be dramatically increasing movie capacity. I hope he's right.

·
Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.
15,541 Posts
inazsully said:
I returned a movie to my local BB and asked about possible closings. The manager told me they would not only be staying around but they will be dramatically increasing movie capacity. I hope he's right.
They might just have a wee surplus of inventory with all the stores that are being shuttered.....

·
Icon
862 Posts
Laxguy said:
They might just have a wee surplus of inventory with all the stores that are being shuttered.....
Of course that's possible. Earlier someone mentioned that a store near them that seemed to be doing great business closed so obviously the amount of business being done is not the only factor in open or close. With the advent of streaming and Netflix etc. the future for any stand alone rental facility looks glum. I do however think that the Dish/Blockbuster marriage is a stroke of marketing genius. The ability to return a mailed disk to a local store and pick up a new disk on the spot is a terrific advantage as opposed to just using the mail it approach. The added benefit is finding long wait on-line DVD's readily available at the local store, which I have found to be the case on many occasions.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.