DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New reader (for a week), first post. All help appreciated.

E* customer for years, lost the distants in the sweep at the start of the month. We're in the 4% that doesn't get E* locals, so its significant "pain".

I see where if you have an RV, you can apply for a waiver to get the distants. We don't own one, but we do own a boat. I can't find anything on this board (or E* website) about getting a waiver for a boat -- yet it seems it would be the same issue.

Can a boat qualify for distants, does it have to be a certain size (i can show state license), where does one find that application?

Next step is moving to ___? to qualify for being out of range of any stations. Other than the Dakotas area, where the heck is that? :)

Many thanks for the opinons and assistance.

·
Banned
989 Posts
DD236 said:
New reader (for a week), first post. All help appreciated.

E* customer for years, lost the distants in the sweep at the start of the month. We're in the 4% that doesn't get E* locals, so its significant "pain".

I see where if you have an RV, you can apply for a waiver to get the distants. We don't own one, but we do own a boat. I can't find anything on this board (or E* website) about getting a waiver for a boat -- yet it seems it would be the same issue.

Can a boat qualify for distants, does it have to be a certain size (i can show state license), where does one find that application?

Next step is moving to ___? to qualify for being out of range of any stations. Other than the Dakotas area, where the heck is that? :)

Many thanks for the opinons and assistance.
You can't get ANY distants from DISH Network for ANY reason. That's why you can't find a form on the DISH website. You'll have to go to www.mydistantnetworks.com and try their waiver. I'm not sure if a boat can qualify or not but it's worth a try.

·
Super Moderator
53,881 Posts
I doubt if you could get a waiver for a boat ...

Waivers are handled by the carrier that would be providing you distants.
D* (DirecTV) and NPS (All American Distants) have separate processes - you can get the form from the company you wish to use. E* (EchoStar/Dish Network) cannot offer distants regardless of waiver - there is no form for them anymore.

·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Chaddux-

Thanks, I re-read my post and caught the error. I did know NPS is where to go, but on their website i find

--no phone number
--only one page - enter phone and address

followed by disqualified...followed by an email "Send you smartcard number and telephone"

If there's waivers on that page, I am missing it?

·
Super Moderator
53,881 Posts

·
Super Moderator
53,881 Posts
Here is the small print in "the law" (17 USC 119(a)(12) ) that allow an exemption for RVs and commercial vehicles. No watercraft of any kind is mentioned here or anywhere else in 17 USC 119.
(12) Service to recreational vehicles and commercial trucks. -
(A) Exemption. -
(i) In general. -
for purposes of this subsection, and subject to clauses (ii) and (iii), the term ''unserved household'' shall include -
(I) recreational vehicles as defined in regulations of the Secretary of Housing and Urban Development under section 3282.8 of title 24 of the Code of Federal Regulations; and

(II) commercial trucks that qualify as commercial motor vehicles under regulations of the Secretary of Transportation under section 383.5 of title 49 of the Code of Federal Regulations.​
(ii) Limitation. -
Clause (i) shall apply only to a recreational vehicle or commercial truck if any satellite carrier that proposes to make a secondary transmission of a network station to the operator of such a recreational vehicle or commercial truck complies with the documentation requirements under subparagraphs (B) and (C).

(iii) Exclusion. -
For purposes of this subparagraph, the terms ''recreational vehicle'' and ''commercial truck'' shall not include any fixed dwelling, whether a mobile home or otherwise.​
(B) Documentation requirements. -
A recreational vehicle or commercial truck shall be deemed to be an unserved household beginning 10 days after the relevant satellite carrier provides to the network that owns or is affiliated with the network station that will be secondarily transmitted to the recreational vehicle or commercial truck the following documents:
(i) Declaration. -
A signed declaration by the operator of the recreational vehicle or commercial truck that the satellite dish is permanently attached to the recreational vehicle or commercial truck, and will not be used to receive satellite programming at any fixed dwelling.

(ii) Registration. -
In the case of a recreational vehicle, a copy of the current State vehicle registration for the recreational vehicle.

(iii) Registration and license. -
In the case of a commercial truck, a copy of -
(I) the current State vehicle registration for the truck; and

(II) a copy of a valid, current commercial driver's license, as defined in regulations of the Secretary of Transportation under section 383 of title 49 of the Code of Federal Regulations, issued to the operator.​
(C) Updated documentation requirements. -
If a satellite carrier wishes to continue to make secondary transmissions to a recreational vehicle or commercial truck for more than a 2-year period, that carrier shall provide each network, upon request, with updated documentation in the form described under subparagraph (B) during the 90 days before expiration of that 2-year period.​
The HUD and DOT definitions of RVs and commercial trucks (respectively) are on the PDF from NPS.
HUD regulations (Title 24 Code of Federal Regulations, Section 3282.8) define "recreational vehicle" as a vehicle that is: (1) built on a single chassis; (2) 400 square feet or less when measured at the largest horizontal projections; (3) self-propelled or permanently towable by a light duty truck; and (4) designed primarily not for use as a permanent dwelling but as temporary living quarters for recreational, camping, travel, or seasonal use.

DOT regulations (Title 49 Code of Federal Regulations, Section 383.5) define "commercial motor vehicle" as a motor vehicle or combination of motor vehicles used in commerce to transport passengers or property if the motor vehicle: (a) has a gross combination weight rating of 11,794 kilograms or more (26,001 pounds or more) inclusive of a towed unit with a gross vehicle weight rating of more than 4,536 kilograms (10,000 pounds); or (b) has a gross vehicle weight rating of 11,794 or more kilograms (26,001 pounds or more); or (c) is designed to transport 16 or more passengers, including the driver; or (d) is of any size and is used in the transportation of materials found to be hazardous for the purpose of the Hazardous Materials Transportation Act and which require the motor vehicle to be placarded under the Hazardous Materials Regulations (Title 49 Code of Federal Regulations part 172, subpart F).​
I'm not seeing a boat in there, although the RV definition comes close.

·
Legend
171 Posts
DD236 said:
Thanks to all for the complete responses and knowledge base. This was my first post and i really appreciate your help.
I think that I read on the Direct TV RV Waiver page that Boats do not qualify for a RV waiver. Only motorized vehicles with sleeping, ablution and cooking facilities less than 400 sqft. or trailers with the same facilities and size limitations designed to be pulled by light duty trucks. The assumption is that boats rock and roll to much to maintain a locked signal on the satellite.

·
Super Moderator
53,881 Posts
One can get dishes that work on a moving vehicle. They are expensive. Whether or not the service works isn't the question as much as whether or not one could get a "boat exemption". It appears that boats simply don't match the description. (Although I've seen boats that were livable that could be towed - the RV exemption ends at 400 sqft, which might knock out larger fifth wheel trailers. It would be hard to say that you can't have an exemption because your RV is too big.)

·
Icon
1,029 Posts
I have seen a lot of dishes on large boats here in the California Delta. Also houseboats up on Lake Shasta have both D* and E* dishes on them. In both cases though, they are not typically after distants. There is no reason for them to have distants as they never leave the basic area. I have used the units on the houseboat, both the tracking and the manual ones. The tracking ones work when you are underway and the manual ones work when you are beached or tied off to the shore. Anchoring alone is not sufficient for signal stability on a manual antenna.

..Doyle

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.