OK back at my office with 2 HR-20s. Good points all and thanks litzdog for providing the D* terms.
Here's how I'm looking at it and you guys tell me if there are any flaws with what I'm proposing (I won't take offense).
I'm awaiting arrival of an HR-20 and dish coming by UPS which I bought in CA. They should be here Monday.
I still also have an install date on 11/5 when I'm supposed to get an HR-20 and dish and multiswitch etc. I havent cancelled or changed anything for this install (not yet).
Given that there have been some (and yes I'm sure most are software related) issues with the DVRs, and also they're out of stock right now, I thought I'd approach this on 2 fronts:
I checked the stock at Best Buy and ran down there to grab a backup for myself in case I have probs with the one on the way. I saw there were 2 more and jumped online to this forum to see if anyone wanted me to pick one up for them. While online at the store posting here, someone grabbed the 2nd to last one on the shelf, so I went and grabbed the last one, so I now have 2.
In my previous experience buying hardware, I always arranged it myself and then contacted D* to turn on my programming. These are leased though, so it's possible there are issues, but if I were D*, I'd just activate a card and collect the new revenue without question unless maybe there was previous activation on the card etc. I assume though that if you can buy (or even lease) a D* product at another retailer besides them, it would only make sense that you can activate it no matter where you got it from (aside from the obvious illegal or other ne'er do well methods).
I have no intention of activating or messing with these receivers unless I HAVE to (i.e. the one on the way arrives DOA). I went to Best Buy and grabbed 1 as a backup, and then noticed more so I posted to this forum. My intentions are completely for good in all respects.
Just a note that Idaho Tax is actually 6% so the cost is 317.99 plus shipping by FedEx. I have no intention of taking a profit for my troubles. I see this only as a way to help out those of you who might benefit.
If nobody wants one, that's OK too. I'll hold on to them until my first one gets here, and if all goes well, I'll simply return them to Best Buy (I have a 30 day refund window anyway which is the same as D*'s activation window).
EDIT: Anyone interested can PM me. Thanks.
EDIT: BB refund window and D* activation window are both 30 days - my bad