DBSTalk Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
36,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
dpeters11 said:
Skyfall, Live and Let Die and Goldfinger for the songs. The one I hate the most was for Spectre.
Just watched Spectre a couple weeks ago and don't remember what it was about. Not a big fan of the Craig-Bond movies.

Rich
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
36,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
scooper said:
I think all the actors who played Bond did a fine job in the role, each having their plusses and minuses. I could pretty much say the same thing about the movies (haven't seen Spectre yet). And I would enjoy that boxed set (green with envy :) )

If I know my wife - she's a big Sean Connery fan , and for Bond villian - Sean Bean.

Missed Desmond Llewyn as Q, but John Cleese filled in nicely. Always enjoy Judy Dench's work, whatever role. And there was lots of great music for the movies, I could agree with any of the ones listed so far.

And the Bond girls HMMMM. Halle Berry did an excellent breakthough on that. Jane Seymour as Solitaire. Maude Adams in Octopussy.
How about the George Lazenby Bond portrayal? That left me wondering what they were thinking when they used him.

Sean Bean would have made a great Bond. One of my favorite actors. I forgot about Jane Seymour's Solitaire. She was a real beauty. I don't think I'll ever forget Halle Berry in that bathing suit coming out of the sea. Good stuff!

Rich
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
2,500 Posts
IMHO,

Connery was Bond.

Brosnan was the next best to him. Very similar styles. NBC did him wrong by holding him to the Remington Steele contract and by the time he got the role he was almost aged out of it. Imagine what he would have done with the role had he had 7 or 8 movies.

Moore was good early, but then the movies got unrealistically science fictional and cartoonish, and he kept the role until he was too old.

Lazenby, who is the "forgotten Bond" having done one movie during the Connery era when Connery was holding out, did a fine job actually.

Dalton just did not have the talent to go very deep with it.

Craig just is not Bond at all. They have taken all of the whimsy out of the role with this dark, self-hating guy who seems to not like what he is doing.
 

·
Lifetime Achiever
Joined
·
21,331 Posts
SamC said:
IMHO,

Connery was Bond.

Brosnan was the next best to him. Very similar styles. NBC did him wrong by holding him to the Remington Steele contract and by the time he got the role he was almost aged out of it. Imagine what he would have done with the role had he had 7 or 8 movies.

Moore was good early, but then the movies got unrealistically science fictional and cartoonish, and he kept the role until he was too old.

Lazenby, who is the "forgotten Bond" having done one movie during the Connery era when Connery was holding out, did a fine job actually.

Dalton just did not have the talent to go very deep with it.

Craig just is not Bond at all. They have taken all of the whimsy out of the role with this dark, self-hating guy who seems to not like what he is doing.
I agree with all your assessments though I somewhat disagree about the timing of Pierce Brosnan. I don't think he was ready for the role when they first asked him. I think he aged nicely into the role--perhaps a few years earlier. And I think he still could do the role well. :)

Peace,
Tom
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
53,492 Posts
Rich said:
Just watched Spectre a couple weeks ago and don't remember what it was about. Not a big fan of the Craig-Bond movies.
I tend to agree. While I did not mind Dame Dench as "M" having Moneypenny as a field agent in Skyfall before becoming the secretary administrative assistant in Spectre. The new "Q" is a stereotype.

The older movies seemed simpler ... not trying to be "politically correct" but just a story about a man who makes life and death decisions while romancing a few girls, fighting a few villans and (usually) doing the right thing for Queen and Country.

I watched Spectre out of duty ... I have watched all of the Bond films and had a PPV coupon. :)
 

·
Godfather
Joined
·
468 Posts
I can enjoy just about all of the Bond films with the exceptions of the Dalton and Lazenby ones. To this day I have never completed “On Her Majesty Secret Service” (1969).

The criticism of Craig seems somewhat unfair. He is a talented actor and has given us a version of Bond that reflects our times, I believe. I just can’t see Connery and Moore pulling off a “modern-day” Bond persona.

The “tortured” soul that Daniel Craig plays so well seems to be the norm these days. Though I have grown weary of so many characters being unhappy or tortured in TV and Movies. It’s rare in a drama that someone plays a “normal” person. (Normal of course is open to one’s own perspective.) One of my favorite dramas recently was Downton Abbey. With all the high drama associated with this show there were still moments of lightness incorporated in most of the characters. Maybe this added to the popularity of the show.

The only time I remember Craig smiling in the Bond series was when he saw a bomb blow up one of his adversaries. (Casino Royale – 2006)

Best Bond: Craig – He looked like a cold blooded killer, which Bond is.
2nd – Pierce Brosnan – Bought a heightened sense of sexuality and youth to role.
3rd – Sean Connery – Was the standard for the series. Got a little to old for part.
4th – Roger Moore – Made Bond a little too light hearted. He too played part too long.
Others don’t count.
 

·
Godfather
Joined
·
468 Posts
MysteryMan said:
I have another question. Which is your favorite Bond song? Mine is "Goldfinger" sung by Shirley Bassey who holds the record of singing three Bond songs (Goldfinger, Diamonds Are Forever and Moonraker). What's your favorite?
No particular order: Goldfinger, Diamonds are Forever, A View to a Kill (Duran Duran) - "You Know My Name" by Chris Cornell from Casino Royale - Live and Let Die by Paul McCartney and Wings.
 

·
Lifetime Achiever
Joined
·
21,331 Posts
jerrylove56 said:
I can enjoy just about all of the Bond films with the exceptions of the Dalton and Lazenby ones. To this day I have never completed "On Her Majesty Secret Service" (1969).

The criticism of Craig seems somewhat unfair. He is a talented actor and has given us a version of Bond that reflects our times, I believe. I just can't see Connery and Moore pulling off a "modern-day" Bond persona.

The "tortured" soul that Daniel Craig plays so well seems to be the norm these days. Though I have grown weary of so many characters being unhappy or tortured in TV and Movies. It's rare in a drama that someone plays a "normal" person. (Normal of course is open to one's own perspective.) One of my favorite dramas recently was Downton Abbey. With all the high drama associated with this show there were still moments of lightness incorporated in most of the characters. Maybe this added to the popularity of the show.

The only time I remember Craig smiling in the Bond series was when he saw a bomb blow up one of his adversaries. (Casino Royale - 2006)

Best Bond: Craig - He looked like a cold blooded killer, which Bond is.
2nd - Pierce Brosnan - Bought a heightened sense of sexuality and youth to role.
3rd - Sean Connery - Was the standard for the series. Got a little to old for part.
4th - Roger Moore - Made Bond a little too light hearted. He too played part too long.
Others don't count.
Yeah, I don't blame Daniel Craig so much as I don't see him in the role nor do I like the direction the role has taken. He is a good, perhaps great actor--in the wrong role, written wrongly. :)

Peace,
Tom
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
36,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I just finished watching Never Say Never, Again and Connery, at 53, performed very well. The movie itself was kinda shabby compared to the movies in the 50th anniversary box set, but Connery was good. The casting was poor, the guy that played Q was awful and the female villain overplayed her role. All in all, a good watch.

Rich
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,288 Posts
Rich said:
I just finished watching Never Say Never, Again and Connery, at 53, performed very well. The movie itself was kinda shabby compared to the movies in the 50th anniversary box set, but Connery was good. The casting was poor, the guy that played Q was awful and the female villain overplayed her role. All in all, a good watch.

Rich
Never Say Never, Again is based on Thunderball. The title is a reference to Connery declaring in 1971 that he would "never again" play that role. I agree, all in all it's a good watch.
 

·
Godfather
Joined
·
468 Posts
Rich said:
I just finished watching Never Say Never, Again and Connery, at 53, performed very well. The movie itself was kinda shabby compared to the movies in the 50th anniversary box set, but Connery was good. The casting was poor, the guy that played Q was awful and the female villain overplayed her role. All in all, a good watch.

Rich
I thought that "From Russia with Love" and "Goldfinger" were his best while "Diamonds Are Forever" and "Never Say Never" were his worst. Technically, "Never Say Never" is not a "true" Bond-007 movie.
 
21 - 37 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top