DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· AllStar
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 722 installer told me last week that his clients have the most luck with Boomerang antennas (they're actually made for limousines).

So, after being unsuccessful with other antennas (I'm in a rural area, with locals 20 miles away, on the opposite side of the house from the TV), I bought a Boomerang on Ebay.

I hooked it up straight to the TV first, and got all the channels I wanted, except one. Then, I hooked it up through the 722, and all channels in the area showed up!

I set up the 722 so that it now displays my OTA channels in the Program Guide, and it displays signal strength. The lowest is around 75%, but still coming in strong.

Anyone else using a Boomerang?

· Icon
927 Posts
If it's the amplified kind, I'm sure it would work fine in many situations. But it's certainly not an optimum design to pickup fringe areas. As you said, it's designed to be aerodynamic for automotive applications, not to optimally pickup TV signals.

· AllStar
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had tried amplified antennas, and even antennas that were made to attach to the dish. Since the southern exposed dish was in the opposite direction from OTA channels, they never picked up much. I even tried moving an indoor antenna outside to no avail.

But, the instant I hooked up the Boomerang, it picked up 15 channels in the area, including all networks for which I had been searching, and the antenna is inside the house, hidden, on top of the entertainment center.

So, I'm sold on the Boomerang.

· Icon
695 Posts
How long have you worked for Boomerang?

I have found a random sized piece of wire laying on the floor behind my television gets all of the local channels in my area. I am sold on it too!

· Icon
927 Posts
nostalgiaguru said:
Nice, yes, I feel very welcome here, thanks.
You have to admit that your thread sounds like a sales pitch, especially with a title "Boomerang is Best".

It sounds like from your post you're trying to do this all with indoor antennas, which for most people is the last option you want to consider. Most indoor antennas suffer greatly from multipath, a big issue with digital signals. But I understand if you're in a situation (apartment, close to towers) where it may work. And if it works for you, great.

But the Boomerang is also a VERY pricey antenna - you can get a much better outdoor antenna for half the price or even less. And pull in a better signal to boot.

So no doubt it may 'work' but given it's cost and multipath problems, it is hardly 'the best'.

· AllStar
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Redlinetire said:
You have to admit that your thread sounds like a sales pitch, especially with a title "Boomerang is Best".

It sounds like from your post you're trying to do this all with indoor antennas, which for most people is the last option you want to consider. Most indoor antennas suffer greatly from multipath, a big issue with digital signals. But I understand if you're in a situation (apartment, close to towers) where it may work. And if it works for you, great.

But the Boomerang is also a VERY pricey antenna - you can get a much better outdoor antenna for half the price or even less. And pull in a better signal to boot.

So no doubt it may 'work' but given it's cost and multipath problems, it is hardly 'the best'.
So, $40 was too much? Actually, the dish installer recommended it, because of other houses he had been to. He said he didn't even know where to buy it. I ended up getting one on EBay.

I'm happy, it's the first thing I've used inside, on this side of the house, that I've had any luck with.

· Icon
927 Posts
nostalgiaguru said:
So, $40 was too much? Actually, the dish installer recommended it, because of other houses he had been to. He said he didn't even know where to buy it. I ended up getting one on EBay.

I'm happy, it's the first thing I've used inside, on this side of the house, that I've had any luck with.
No, $40 would be a good price given the cheapest (new) unpowered antennas are $90 and the cheapest powered are $120. But I'm not a big fan of eBay...

Still, if it works, great!

· Charter Gold Club Member
22,099 Posts
Redlinetire said:
If it's the amplified kind, I'm sure it would work fine in many situations. But it's certainly not an optimum design to pickup fringe areas.
The poster says it works. What is it about that you don't understand?

I wrote the unnofficial 'bible' on non-standard reception of RF signals.
Years ago, I even used two second-story aluminum window screens
to pick up WLS-TV out of NO, about 100 mi distant.

Nick's rule for non-standard antennae is "Whatever works, works!"

· Icon
927 Posts
Nick said:
The poster says it works. What is it about that you don't understand?

I wrote the unnofficial 'bible' on non-standard reception of RF signals.
Years ago, I even used two second-story aluminum window screens
to pick up WLS-TV out of NO, about 100 mi distant.

Nick's rule for non-standard antennae is "Whatever works, works!"
If it works, of course that's great.

I'm merely pointing out that you don't have to spend that kind of money (fleaBay not withstanding) to have success. And I think for most people, in most circumstances, an RV/Limo antenna is not the best route to go.

Especially - evidently - if you have access to 2nd story aluminum windows. :lol:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.