DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Hall Of Fame
1,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't believe this, been waiting for this all year. And the fireworks are in CBS Blur-o-Vision! Is this just my local channel or is the source in SD as well? I almost fell off my chair when the Tonys were in SD. Now this. Has anybody informed these *(*&^%^%$#@ nets that we're going all digital next year?:nono:

·
Hall Of Fame
15,561 Posts
Yeah. I posted about the Tonys but I never thought the Boston Pops Fireworks would be in SD. Even the San Jose NBC station had the local fireworks in HD - not well done, but in HD. CBS - Cheap Broadcasting System.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,461 Posts
The PBS HD video feed from DC was pretty good, but the audio from KOPB (Portland) was intolerable (sounded like two tin cans and a string).

Portland's NBC affiliate (KGW) had three HD cameras (way wide and often pointed down too low, close and extreme closeup) and a director that must be both visually and aurally impaired. The audio feed was great though.

The HD Net show was the excellent Kentucky Derby display involving two barges and a bridge.

The NBC national feed was the awesome Macy's display with three barges.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Rats, missed the HDNet show. Saw a few seconds of the NY/NBC--there was rain there that seemed to dull things a bit. My emotional fave is the Esplanade, just love the artistry of the fireworks and music coordination. Maybe next year. I just wish these nets would all sell their remaining crappy SD cams to some third world country and be done with them for good! Migod, are these net weasels still gonna be showing blur-o-vision SD on HD channels next year? There oughta be a law. Wait, there IS one!

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,461 Posts
Maruuk said:
Migod, are these net weasels still gonna be showing blur-o-vision SD on HD channels next year? There oughta be a law. Wait, there IS one!
There is not now, nor will there likely ever be a law requiring HD content.

DIRECTV is currently estimated to carry about 37% HD content in their national HD offerings (including the HD Extra channels which are decidedly higher HD content than most) and while that will likely improved by February 17, there is no government mandate to do so.

There is also no government mandate telling the terrestrial broadcast networks how much HD they must offer.

·
Icon
597 Posts
harsh said:
There is not now, nor will there likely ever be a law requiring HD content.
There is also no government mandate telling the terrestrial broadcast networks how much HD they must offer.
Absolutely correct. However, I find myself picking the HD broadcast if I have a choice of two decent or similar shows at the same time. And, as usual, widespread public action such as mine will get things done more efficiently than any law would.

·
Founder
17,326 Posts
The Macy's firework show from New York was quite good in HD as it was last year. I was a bit disappoint that the Boston show was in SD. It looked like a great display.

Last night I went to a local Amusement park (Sea World) and recorded their firework display with a Sony HD camera. It worked quite well. Fireworks look so much better in HD. For me, they never looked good in SD.

Two words of warning if you are going to record firework displays in HD (or SD for that matter). Turn off the auto-focus and turn on the manual iris.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The nets are acting like the public will be perfectly happy with half their content in SD on HD channels for the next ten years. Kudos to NBC for the killer PQ on the NY display, though their constant huge fugly banner overlays were super annoying. I had that OTA in stunning 1080i and it sure beat the crap out of the compressed-looking Kentucky Derby thing.

The Esplanade affair still has by far the best music with their pyrotechnics so next year buy some HD cams, CBS. Or hand it back to PBS who always treated it vastly better than you ever will, with your crammed-into-an-hour commercial blur-o-fest.

The NY show really showed off what good HD can do with fireworks. They had the right cams and filters, and did a good job of framing the three launch bases. Next year will be better than ever for HD fireworks. Though poor lip-syncing Kat looked like a drowned rat.

·
Hall Of Fame
15,561 Posts
I complained through the CBS web site (probably worthless) and through the local affiliate web site pointing out that their local NBC competition could muster up HD cameras for the local fireworks while their network was too cheap. I also noted my new name for CBS - Cheap Broadcasting System.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ironically it was the reverse for golf, CBS was the first to all-HD cams on the course whereas NBC had only the tower-mounts in HD. So you'd be cutting back and forth. It was like constantly removing your glasses and putting them back on again! Vertigo city. Hopefully the all-digital transformation next year will compel these beancounter-driven meganets to finally pony up for a few more cams and we can finally get on with the technology we should have had 30 years ago. NTSC has overstayed its welcome by DECADES.

·
Lifetime Achiever
28,939 Posts
Maruuk said:
Ironically it was the reverse for golf, CBS was the first to all-HD cams on the course whereas NBC had only the tower-mounts in HD. So you'd be cutting back and forth. It was like constantly removing your glasses and putting them back on again! Vertigo city. Hopefully the all-digital transformation next year will compel these beancounter-driven meganets to finally pony up for a few more cams and we can finally get on with the technology we should have had 30 years ago. NTSC has overstayed its welcome by DECADES.
I'm not so sure about 30 years ago .. We go our first Color TV in 1976 and the first show we watched in color was Movin' on. I'm pretty sure that we would not have been looking for a new-fangled HDTV 2 years after we first got color TV. Granted it could have been a little bit earlier, but it's really only in the last couple of years that HDTV is no longer cost prohibitive for most people.

·
Hall Of Fame
15,561 Posts
Ok. Now I have to really wonder what's going on. The local NBC station, KNTV 11 San Jose, provided HD coverage of San Jose fireworks. I finally got around to watching the network NYC coverage - HD where available it said as the picture came up HD. Widescreen (with zoom) and pretty sharp compared to CBS Boston Pops Fireworks. But still SD and no dolby digital etc.

·
Dry as a bone
12,566 Posts
harsh said:
The HD Net show was the excellent Kentucky Derby display involving two barges and a bridge.
I watched the HDNet show, thought it was great. So, it was actually a fireworks display that took place after the Kentucky Derby and not a 4th of July display? Or did it just take place near Churchill Downs?

·
Banned
293 Posts
spartanstew said:
I watched the HDNet show, thought it was great. So, it was actually a fireworks display that took place after the Kentucky Derby and not a 4th of July display? Or did it just take place near Churchill Downs?
Yeah, I thought that was actually sort of stupid that it wasn't an actual 4th of July fireworks show from somewhere in the US.

·
Hall Of Fame
15,561 Posts
tvjay said:
Yeah, I thought that was actually sort of stupid that it wasn't an actual 4th of July fireworks show from somewhere in the US.
Ah, but I could record it in the middle of the afternoon, watch it in the early evening.:sure:

·
Hall Of Fame
1,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey, time-shifting holidays is the wave of the future! Bummer that San Jose 11 showed it in SD. I hate that stuff where the locals get pristine HD in from the nets and hand their viewers SD garbage even though they're technically broadcasting in 1080i. And the ultimate gall is they're burning up the same hard drive space as an HD show with that blur-o-vision junk.

The first TV broadcast was in 1925. Philco had an 800-scan line system in 1940. Rejected by the morons in Washington as per usual. In 1953 the NTSC color standard was implemented. So going to HD by 1978 would have been tail-dragging. In fact, this current 720 scan line so-called "HD" standard is worse than what Philco had in 1940! Back to the future, indeed.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,461 Posts
Maruuk said:
In fact, this current 720 scan line so-called "HD" standard is worse than what Philco had in 1940! Back to the future, indeed.
So you know, Philco's design exercise topped out at 605 lines.

It was René Barthélemy of France who came up with the 819 line standard that France, Italy, Monaco and the Benelux countries used until the mid 1980s. Rather than the 6MHz bandwidth that NTSC required, the 819 line standard demanded a staggering 14MHz per channel.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Next year we'll get em all in HD.

What actually went down was:

"The NTSC compromised between RCA's desire to keep a 441-line standard (their NBC TV network was already using it) and Philco's desire to increase it to between 600 and 800, settling on a 525-line transmission."

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.