DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Impossible Dreamer
5,525 Posts
bachj said:
I have heard about the problems....Im debating on getting the update installed.....as long as the my unit works the way it should...maybe I will wait until they perfect the 6.3a software update. thanks for you help
If you will be recording much OTA material (especially FOX), I would recommend that you hold off on the 6.3 upgrade. There is a definite problem there. Otherwise, it might be worth it. There have been other issues reported with 6.3, but the audio dropouts (predominantly OTA) seems to be the most well-documented. The 6.3a upgrade makes your menus and guide faster, but that's about it. The 3.1 software is often slow in operation, but very reliable.

If you haven't gotten the unit authorized yet, you'll need the phone line for that. Once authorized, you "officially" need it connected, but do not in practice (other than periodic nag messages).

My phone line is unplugged until a newer, less buggy upgrade is available.

·
Impossible Dreamer
5,525 Posts
bachj said:
As of now...sounds like I wouldn't miss anything if I didn't get the 6.3 upgrade...but answer me this....how do i PREVENT my unit from AUTOMATICALLY updating on its own?? thanks
Just unplug the phone line after you get the unit authorized. It will download software updates over the satellite, but will not activate them until the unit makes a phone call.

If it upgrades on its initial call to authorize, you'd be out of luck...but I don't believe it happens that way.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.