DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received my new HR20 that I purchased off EBay. Problem is that there was no smartcard sent with it and the seller's reasoning was that these were new boxes used as promo items that had smartcards with ALL programming turned ON. He said that I can just phone Directv to order a NEW smartcard for $20.

Is what he is saying possible? What do I tell Directv when I order the new smartcard? A friend of mine says that he is certain that if you order a new smartcard from Directv, it has to be connected within 10 days. Is this true?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
Umm...

You might be screwed there.
HR20's 99.999% of the time are leased boxes... and people have no right to sell them if they are leased.

There where no "promo" HR20's... and any legitmate HR20 will come with a new Access Card.

All you can do is call DirecTV and have them check the Receiver ID / Serial Number, and they can tell you the history of the box.

If the box is okay, and nothing on the "shaddy" side... then they will send you a new card (usually over night), the $20 is usually applied, but sometimes waived.

I do hope you didn't get burt by a bad eBay seller.

But to anyone else: Unless the HR20 is listed as NEW UNOPENED, and the seller is a verifiable authorized DirecTV reseller... I would stay away from them.

·
DBSTalk Club Member
1,135 Posts
I had to ask for one once because mine was bad and they wanted me to pay for it, but I refused to pay for a card just so I could pay them to receiver their programming so they sent me a new one for free.

It would make sense that they want it activated in so long, as they do that with
receivers they sell you. If not activated by yada yada yada date, you agree to be charged for a years programming or something like that.

·
Icon
914 Posts
Yet another reason you should always pay and fund paypal via VISA or Mastercard (a real one, not a debit card.) That way if you get burned, you can do a charge back!

·
1960'S NOSTALGIA
213 Posts
AlbertZeroK said:
Yet another reason you should always pay and fund paypal via VISA or Mastercard (a real one, not a debit card.) That way if you get burned, you can do a charge back!
You are so right...I was charged $250.00 by paypal on my VISA last year for simillar situation as he did...disputed and got credit back for the $250.00 to my
card....

·
AllStar
87 Posts
I would make one note about buying from anyone other than a retailer since my HR10-250 died and I had D* pretection plan and the HR10-250 was owned the new HR20 that was sent to me as a replacement was now also owned I called access department and verified and I am correct I do own this reciever because it was replacing an owned reciever under replacement plan. Nice:)

Mike

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.