DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
The Shadow Knows!
37,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I took my HR20 out of its entertainment center to move it to a new entertainment center. Obviously this was a mistake.

I had the following happen -

1st four or five times I plugged it in I got the blue power button for a few seconds then nothing.

After that, I got the Welcome and almost there screens but then after almost there it reset and started again.

I was unable to force download back to 0xFA (or 0x108), it just reset.

I was unable to reformat.

I tried removing the BBCs, switching the sat ins, just for yucks. No love.

Oh, well, D* is sending me a new unit which will be here Tues. or Wed. Threw in a couple months of showtime just for the trouble.

I'm sure that others of you have had similar experiences, here's your chance to laugh at the guy who, until now, had pretty much no troubles.

·
DBSTalk Club Member
237 Posts
Try again in an hour or - so - Just plug in and hit red button - leave it be for awhile - like an hour - then power up - It might just have had a near death experience and revive itself.

·
AllStar
92 Posts
Howdy,
I got a new Yamaha receiver on Thursday and I was re-wiring my system last night and had a similar experience. It did exactly what yours did. I pulled the power cord out and let it sit for a few minutes and plugged it back in. I immediately hit the power button and viola, it came back to life. I was sweating for a minute or two. I know it's a long shot, but try it maybe it will work for you too. Good luck!

Lowry

·
The Shadow Knows!
37,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey, I'll try anything. I'm lucky that I've got all my recordings backed up on my old R10, but I would still rather have a working unit.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
Was it working before the "move" ?

The only thing I can think of is that the Hard drive went bad, or somehow got disconnected on the inside.

·
The Shadow Knows!
37,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It was working before the move, but yeah, it's a brick now. If I had to diagnose it just from the sounds it's making...

-the hard drive spins up.
-there is very little activity from the hard drive other than a couple of chirps just before it reboots.

I'd put my money on a loose SATA cable, but ironically I can't open it up to check, because I'd void the warranty.

I thought it might have something to do with 0x10B but I really doubt it at this point. Again, just judging by sound, it's not getting past it's version of POST, and not booting.

Bummer, but advanced tech support have been responsive and I'll have a new one in a couple of days. I guess it will be interesting to see if I get 0xFA or 0x108 when I do the initial upgrade. No worries either way, just curiosity more than anything else.

·
Banned
1,199 Posts
We should bundle all these experiences into a best-selling guide on how not to launch a home entertainment product. With the right creativity, it could crack the Amazon Top 10 list. At least I now know my HR20 is an immovable object.

·
Hall Of Fame
4,585 Posts
Dang, I was going to move my HR20 from the secondary location to the primary (HDTV) now that I have ATSC but now I'm afraid to pull the power. Not much saved content but I'd hate to lose the 10B upgrade and go back to FA. Guess I'll wait a few days before doing anything in case they put out a nationwide release of the OTA tuner software as a fall back. :D

GH

·
The Shadow Knows!
37,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update:

I hoped against hope, that the problems were HDMI-related. I unhooked HDMI and connected via s-video, just to see if it would work. No love.

Groundhog45, I really doubt that this had anything to do with 0x10B. I think it's just bad luck. As I said before, it's probably a loose or bad SATA cable. I understand why D* doesn't want people mucking around inside the box but I wish they'd grant me an exception. I have a feeling I'd be up and running in 10 minutes if I could tighten up the data cables.

As far as a nationwide release of OTA, I asked my level 2 tech support person (who was average-knowledgeable, not as knowledgeable as most people on this forum) and he said that the information in his computer indicated that OTA would be turned on nationally in the next two weeks. He couldn't tell me if I would update to 0x108 (the latest release for SoCal) or 0xFA when I got the new HR20.

As always, use the largest possible grain of salt when dealing with CSR-based information.

·
The Shadow Knows!
37,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm updating this thread to put it back on page 1 --

It seems like a few people out there are reporting fairly similar results to this after updating to 0x10B. I didn't think the two were related, now I'm not sure.

I'm also pretty scared at this point about what may happen the next time my HR20 resets, either by my choice or its own.

Has anyone out there been able to report that their HR20 was able to reset properly with no problems at all?

I wonder if this has anything to do with the initial build dates, indicating it might be a hardware problem with network or HDMI or something else that was not as obvious until 0x10B.

·
Icon
657 Posts
lamontcranston said:
I'm updating this thread to put it back on page 1 --

It seems like a few people out there are reporting fairly similar results to this after updating to 0x10B. I didn't think the two were related, now I'm not sure.

I'm also pretty scared at this point about what may happen the next time my HR20 resets, either by my choice or its own.

Has anyone out there been able to report that their HR20 was able to reset properly with no problems at all?

I wonder if this has anything to do with the initial build dates, indicating it might be a hardware problem with network or HDMI or something else that was not as obvious until 0x10B.
My HR20 updated and reset just fine (crosses fingers) and I use HDMI, of course I haven't had many problems (knocks on wood) with my receiver at all. (Clutches rabbit foot and horseshoe)

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
Technically speaking...

All of your units rebooted with the 0x10b software.

The install of the software, after it completes, re-starts the bootup sequency when it is done.

·
The Shadow Knows!
37,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm not disputing that the unit successfully rebooted once. I want to know if it will reboot again. Suppose something that happens after boot makes it impossible to reboot.

Speaking in PC terms, imagine if something wrote over the boot sector of a drive. Everything would work until you rebooted, then you'd have a brick.

·
Legend
159 Posts
lamontcranston said:
I'm not disputing that the unit successfully rebooted once. I want to know if it will reboot again. Suppose something that happens after boot makes it impossible to reboot.

Speaking in PC terms, imagine if something wrote over the boot sector of a drive. Everything would work until you rebooted, then you'd have a brick.
FWIW I rebooted mine manually after receiving 0x10b and it rebooted fine.

(I rebooted it because it wasn't seeing my network. Then I later realized that the fact that the other end of the ethernet cable not being plugged into the router was the more likely culprit :bang )

·
The Shadow Knows!
37,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks, spolaski.

Looks like there are several similar threads today about bricked HR20s. At this point Earl says it's not specifically a 0x10B issue. I believe him, but perhaps 0x10B is triggering something in the hardware that failed earlier, or perhaps HR20s that were built at the same time fail at the same time.

A couple weeks ago I posted on a "buzzing" from my HR20 which turned out to be a simple vibration in the case. Within days several others had posted independently with similar problems. Again, this could have been a case of units all having the same problem at the same "age".

·
Legend
159 Posts
Your thread has me worried - I know you were concerned a few days ago about moving it to the new cabinet due to heat -- you probably never even thought the move itself would kill it. I hope mine doesn't up and die on me too.

Maybe it needs about a 3-G shock to knock the cables back into place. A 2" or so drop onto the garage floor ought to do it. :grin:

·
Cool Member
26 Posts
lamontcranston said:
Thanks, spolaski.

Looks like there are several similar threads today about bricked HR20s. At this point Earl says it's not specifically a 0x10B issue. I believe him, but perhaps 0x10B is triggering something in the hardware that failed earlier, or perhaps HR20s that were built at the same time fail at the same time.

A couple weeks ago I posted on a "buzzing" from my HR20 which turned out to be a simple vibration in the case. Within days several others had posted independently with similar problems. Again, this could have been a case of units all having the same problem at the same "age".
One of my two did the exact same thing a couple of weeks ago. It just kept in this endless, loop....almost there, step 1, step 2...90% and start over.

I unplugged it and set it aside. A week later I plugged it back in and reattached everything and it worked fine. Go Figure!

·
Legend
228 Posts
Well now that you mention it, I too had a unnerving experience recently.

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=73461

Perhaps something has changed in the recent release relative to screen updates when starting up. Not as informative or not displaying at all. There's definitely something different.

Fortunately patience solves the problem - but more informative screens would lessen potential Customer Service calls.

BTW - This occurred ONLY on a recently installed HR-20. The 'old' one recovered just fine (with the same installed version, I might add)

·
The Shadow Knows!
37,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
At this point I have no reason to think that my replacement HR20 will fail after a reset, but I would feel better if I heard from several people, "Yes, I reset mine several times since receiving 0x10B and it was just fine after I reset it. "

·
Legend
228 Posts
lamontcranston said:
At this point I have no reason to think that my replacement HR20 will fail after a reset, but I would feel better if I heard from several people, "Yes, I reset mine several times since receiving 0x10B and it was just fine after I reset it. "
I'd be interested in hearing about screens seen following 'power-off/on" reset.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.