DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 244 Posts

· Icon
4,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As you may have noticed, the brilliant minds at DirecTV have decided to remove FF, Rewind, Pause, Replay, etc. from the PIG with yesterdays pandora "update" to the HD-GUI.

Do not let DirecTV get away with this garbage!!!

Chime in with your complaints and venomous anger here (kind of half joking about the venomous anger part, but also kind of not -- I used that functionality literally 100% of the time), but this is absurd. What good is the PIG if you can't control it?

I don't think I've watched a single program in 5 yrs without using that feature.

But awesome, I have some new random Pandora garbage I've never heard of before :(.

· Premium Member
11,520 Posts
John Strk said:
Agreed!!! I just got the update yesterday and already miss this functionality. No reason for it.

Also this new GUI is still very SLOW to bring up the List and Deleting recorded programs. :(
What's the firmware number of the update with Pandora?

· AllStar
403 Posts
SledgeHammer said:
As you may have noticed, the brilliant minds at DirecTV have decided to remove FF, Rewind, Pause, Replay, etc. from the PIG with yesterdays pandora "update" to the HD-GUI.

-- I used that functionality literally 100% of the time), but this is absurd. What good is the PIG if you can't control it?
Literally 100% of the time?? You watch your shows in the PIG for the entire length of the show? Meanwhile FFing or REWing or skipping back or forward? That's a hell of a way to watch TV. :D

I rarely used it and now that I know it's gone, I will either happily pause before I jump into the menu, or rewind to what I noticed (heard) that caught my attention while in the menu. I can't focus on the picture while I'm browsing the guide anyway - I'm too busy focusing on what I'm trying to do in the guide/list/menu!

It's no big deal to me.

· Godfather
272 Posts
The main problem I have with the loss of this functionality is that I used it to pause commercials or programs that weren't appropriate for my child while we were looking for something to watch in the list or the guide.

Now I have to fill the entire 60" screen with the inappropriate material before I can pause it!!

:nono2:

Not only that, but my muscle memory for hitting pause now causes whatever I had selected in the program list to actually play!

There is no reason to change the functionality of the pause button while in the guide or program list. NONE! It doesn't affect the "new remotes". Bring back the functionality and DVR behavior that we have all been using and used to for YEARS!

· Icon
4,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
jagrim said:
I prefer to watch shows on the big screen rather than the PIG.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the change in PIG functions occur when the HDGUI came out and not when Pandora was released.
Thats what DirecTV claimed when I called last night to complain. I politely told them I've had the HD-GUI since mid December and I've been controlling the PIG just fine up until 2 days ago :rolleyes:.

· Icon
4,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
mrdobolina said:
Literally 100% of the time?? You watch your shows in the PIG for the entire length of the show? Meanwhile FFing or REWing or skipping back or forward? That's a hell of a way to watch TV. :D

I rarely used it and now that I know it's gone, I will either happily pause before I jump into the menu, or rewind to what I noticed (heard) that caught my attention while in the menu. I can't focus on the picture while I'm browsing the guide anyway - I'm too busy focusing on what I'm trying to do in the guide/list/menu!

It's no big deal to me.
Actually, yes. 100% of the time. Literally. I'm a multi-tasker. I rarely watch TV and give 100% of my attention to the show unless it is a show I REALLY like. Which is rare these days.

* I watch the pig while setting up recordings
* I watch the pig while perusing the guide to see whats on for the rest of the day

Ok, actually, no, not 100% of the time because I do watch full screen TV as well lol... but I record a lot of stuff that is not worth 100% of my attention, so I do DVR tasks while watching it.

Now I can no longer do that.

· Icon
4,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ShapeGSX said:
The main problem I have with the loss of this functionality is that I used it to pause commercials or programs that weren't appropriate for my child while we were looking for something to watch in the list or the guide.

Now I have to fill the entire 60" screen with the inappropriate material before I can pause it!!

:nono2:

Not only that, but my muscle memory for hitting pause now causes whatever I had selected in the program list to actually play!

There is no reason to change the functionality of the pause button while in the guide or program list. NONE! It doesn't affect the "new remotes". Bring back the functionality and DVR behavior that we have all been using and used to for YEARS!
Yeah, this is awful. Did they do it to be similiar to Tivo? If so, why? Does DirecTV realize that the Tivo is garbage and thats why everybody stopped using it, oh 10 YEARS ago?

· Registered
14,539 Posts
SledgeHammer said:
Actually, yes. 100% of the time. Literally. I'm a multi-tasker. I rarely watch TV and give 100% of my attention to the show unless it is a show I REALLY like. Which is rare these days.

* I watch the pig while setting up recordings
* I watch the pig while perusing the guide to see whats on for the rest of the day

Ok, actually, no, not 100% of the time because I do watch full screen TV as well lol... but I record a lot of stuff that is not worth 100% of my attention, so I do DVR tasks while watching it.

Now I can no longer do that.
Are you really that pressed for time? The over-the-top rhetoric seems a bit much.

If the show isn't important to devote your attention then it's not important enough to use trickplay. Obviously, you're not focused on the show.

· Godfather
272 Posts
sigma1914 said:
Are you really that pressed for time? The over-the-top rhetoric seems a bit much.

If the show isn't important to devote your attention then it's not important enough to use trickplay. Obviously, you're not focused on the show.
I don't understand your attitude here. They took away functionality that we use. You don't use it, that's fine. But a lot of us did, and you're judging how we use our DVRs and saying that it really wasn't important to us? :confused:

If they took away something that you used all the time on your DVR, I'm sure you would be up in arms about it, too.

· Registered
14,539 Posts
ShapeGSX said:
I don't understand your attitude here. They took away functionality that we use. You don't use it, that's fine. But a lot of us did, and you're judging how we use our DVRs and saying that it really wasn't important to us? :confused:

If they took away something that you used all the time on your DVR, I'm sure you would be up in arms about it, too.
I wouldn't care because it's not under my control what's done. Adapt or move on is the way I live...no reason to be mad about stuff you can't control.

· Registered
14,213 Posts
The change to behavior of the keys while in the PIG is a big negative for me and my extended family, all of whom have DIRECTV.

Not only can't you pause, replay, rewind, skip or fast forward in the PIG, but for those who would key in a new channel number, you can't do that either in the menus or playlist.

Even hearing that this change was made to be compatible with new remotes does nothing to temper my amazement that a long-standing feature was eliminated. Instead of designing a new remote to be compatible with existing equipment and software, the decision was made to design a new remote and then change the software of existing customers, who clearly do NOT have the new remote.

I don't get it...

1 - 20 of 244 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.