DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Hall Of Fame
1,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Once again, the chain of image custody has let us down bigtime. TNT is giving us a miserable resolution of something between ED and 720p, all while my TV proudly proclaims "1080i" in the INFO box. And sync is terrible as well, something D* was supposed to have fixed in 255.

I figure this is likely on the Brit end of things, their cameras or compression or SATLINKS or something. Not necessarily blaming TNT or D*, they're likely just sending what they're getting from the local acquisition system. But it really sucks. I wouldn't dignify this garbage signal by calling it HD-anything. It's better than SD Blur-o-Vision, but hardly delivering on the promise of high definition, especially for such premier content.

You'd think somebody in charge might say, "Hey, this is the &*&^%$#$#@ BRITISH OPEN douchebags! Let's get the folks at home a half-decent picture!"

But naw, the viewer is the last thing anybody thinks about. Somebody along the line's probably pocketing a few mil on bandwidth savings. "Nobody'll ever notice us taking it down a few terragigs! Those sucker'll watch anything!"

Be interesting to see what happens tomorrow when we go to major network broadcast. I bet it'll be the same, doubt TNT is the culprit.

·
Superfly
4,567 Posts
While I thought it didn't look great, it also didn't look horrible, except when it was raining. Then it looked horrible.

Didn't have any sync issues myself.

I agree with you. It will probably look the same tomorrow on CBS.

·
Hall Of Fame
6,039 Posts
I thought ABC did a good job. No video issues at all here, except that the video went from 16:9 to 4:3 for about 30 minutes in the middle. Someone at ABC apparently forgot to switch back to 16:9 at one point. Other than that, no complaints here. I was watching via D* LIL, not OTA.

The courses over there look like what you saw this weekend. They just aren't bright green grass and bright colorful flowers, like we're used to over there. You can't compare the tranquility of Augusta National to a course from the UK.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was just talking resolution, the TNT so-called "1080i" resolution was very poor. And now that we've switched to the ABC transmission over the weekend, even their semi-HD 720p image is noticeably crisper than what we were getting Thurs and Fri. I consider it watchable, though 720p is always a disappointment compared to a reasonably sharp 1080i pic. But to be fair, ABC is giving us an acceptable, nominal, standard lacking-in-fine-details 720p image, no cheating going on. Now all we need is some American to step up and play some golf in the wind tunnel.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So I record the show off the guide on ABC-HD and add 1.5 hours to the recording in case of a playoff. Coverage starts at 5am PST.

Start to watch at 10am PST, note that there's only 2.5 hours total recorded. Less than half of the tournament.

Apparently ^&^%$#$#@ ABC or D* pulled one of those cute show-splitters on the guide and the first hour terminated as a show. Then began again as a separate show.

So the recording ran for the additional 1.5 hours, but far short of the length of the tournament. So hundreds of thousands of viewers lost the last 3 hours of the tournament. Great system, guys.

Fortunately without Tiger and a walkover from Harrington, we didn't miss much drama. But reminded me to stay ALWAYS VIGILANT when recording a long sporting event off a D* guide. Always check for show-splitting in the middle of the presentation.

·
Superfly
4,567 Posts
Boy, I thought it was a great day of tight golf and hardly a walk-over by Harrington - in the middle of the round it looked like any one of half a dozen players could win - but that's just my perspective.

Beyond that, Maruuk, when you padded that recording the extra hour and a half, did you happen to notice on the top of the screen, just below where it said "British Open", that the original recording was only for one hour? It did. Try setting up a test recording. You'll see the original length of the recording right there, on the screen. But then, it was DirecTV's or ABC's mistake. Why should you take blame for messing up a recording on your own?

The next thing on ABC was an Indy car race. It's still going on as I type this, in fact. On lap 43 there was a crash, where a driver turned into another car on a turn, taking himself and a bunch of other cars out of the race. One of them was Marco Andretti. He drove into the accident, which was ahead of him. The announcers called him the "innocent bystander."

Marco Andretti was later interviewed in the pits and asked, "What happened?" He replied this way:

"There was just a lot of blue smoke in front of me. I knew somebody was spinning. I had no idea which direction they were going. But obviously I'm the one who put myself in that position to begin with, with my mistake down in [turn] twelve."

He continued to say his car was loose all day and no matter how much he and his pit crew tried adjusting the front wing, he never had the control he wanted. Here Marco Andretti drives into a cloud of smoke and right out of the race, and he blames himself.

The difference is remarkable.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Exactly, you got one right, Carl! It was D*'s guide screwup since it was in fact a 5-hour continuous program that D* ERRONEOUSLY broke into segments. Yet another D* foulup that harasses loyal customers needlessly.

Uh, Harrington won by 5 strokes. He led the round from the second hole after Norman tanked. No Woods, no Lefty, no Daly, no Americans in the hunt, no drama = zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Major snoozer. So next you're gonna tell me D* knew this and intentionally saved viewers the trouble by chopping up the program into segments designed to sabotage recording. Always the D* apologist.

·
Hall Of Fame
3,136 Posts
There is a thread over at AVS about it, but all the assets were not available to do it in HD this year (truck and some of the other gear mainly, I think the camersa were all HD capable). It will be in HD starting next year as it has all been worked out.

·
Legend
182 Posts
I think the reason why the picture is not good, is due to the British's TV system called PAL 576i 16:9 with 25 FPs format.:eek2:

After being upconverted the picture tends to degrade a little.

7-21-08

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.