DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got rid of cable and installed a broadcast antennae. My picture is great with a signal that is uncompressed it's truly amazing. Does anybody else get their signal over the air? I receive around 40 channels.I also have netflix and hulu+.I've cut my TV bill by 2/3 of what it use to be.I pay 16$ a month for N/H and 39 a month for internet from AT&T.:)

·
Hall Of Fame
7,058 Posts
yelrav said:
It has nothing to do with dish or direct just wanted to see if anybody went to total OTA and broke ties with the conventional methods.
I use OTA but half of what I watch isnt on the big 4 networks, and no local CW in HD To watch what I want when I want, strictly going OTA is out of the question.

·
Geek til I die
9,821 Posts
I do the same thing, although I still have satellite TV. I use PlayOn, FTA satellite, and 2 OTA tuners on a HTPC, then extenders in each room for OTA/internet content. Each room also has a satellite receiver as well. Some things available on satellite just cannot yet be duplicated in the internet/OTA only environment. I give it about two years.

·
Icon
654 Posts
I would like to do OTA but the signal is way too weak even with a 4-bay 20 feet up.
Had poor OTA with analog and virtually no OTA with digital.
OTA is all about location.
I suspect many rural areas have problems with digital.

·
Hall Of Fame
15,561 Posts
retiredTech said:
I would like to do OTA but the signal is way too weak even with a 4-bay 20 feet up.
Had poor OTA with analog and virtually no OTA with digital.
OTA is all about location.
Heck, I couldn't get analog.;)

·
Geek til I die
9,821 Posts
retiredTech said:
That is the whole reason behind cable TV's inception. And most cable companies still offer "locals only" basic cable packages, which if bundled with their internet offerings, usually cost about the same as "Internet Only". Might be worth considering if you want to go the "OTA/Internet" route, and cannot get OTA :). If you dont have cable available, all the networks are available on FTA, although a 10' dish is still required.

·
Know Nothing
6,270 Posts
Davenlr said:
I do the same thing,

FTA satellite,
I keep threatening to do that, but I don't know enough about it even after reading Sadoun's boards. I keep hearing that there isn't much in the clear any more.

retiredTech said:
Go bigger and higher. I'm using a more conventional antenna at about 45' and I get a good selection. One station from about 60 miles is flaky sometimes, but it's stable most of the time.

·
Geek til I die
9,821 Posts
SayWhat? said:
I keep threatening to do that, but I don't know enough about it even after reading Sadoun's boards. I keep hearing that there isn't much in the clear any more.
Well, for Networks, CBS, ABC, NBC, and PBS are available in HD, FOX in SD (sometimes HD), MeTV SD, CW HD, RTN in SD, THIStv SD, TuffTV SD, Univision HD. PBS World SD, ION HD, Telemundo HD.

News: AlJazeera English and Russia Today in SD, ABC News Now

Weather: WeatherNation SD and HD

Sports: Most all ESPN events (have to search for where they are) in HD, Universal Sports

Movies: PixL HD

Of course, if any major news event breaks, it will be covered all over the arc.

·
Hall Of Fame
6,039 Posts
Using MPEG-2

·
Hall Of Fame
4,974 Posts
yelrav said:
I just got rid of cable and installed a broadcast antennae. My picture is great with a signal that is uncompressed it's truly amazing. Does anybody else get their signal over the air? I receive around 40 channels.I also have netflix and hulu+.I've cut my TV bill by 2/3 of what it use to be.I pay 16$ a month for N/H and 39 a month for internet from AT&T.:)
While thats great for you, OTA, Netflix and Hulu do not cover all shows people are interested in. I'm happy its working out for you but the setup I would need to record OTA would not be cheap and I wouldnt want to have to go through all that hassle for it to not see shows I want. For people that can get by on those options, I say go for it and enjoy the savings. I will also say be on the lookout for more internet providers to do away with unlimited packages if more and more people go to streaming shows.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.