DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Banned
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this in the HD forum, but I guess it applies more generally.

Is there a way to directly control an HR21 through the ethernet connection?

Failing that is there a cheap third party box that will connect to it, and allow control over the network?

· Registered
31,115 Posts
jjay said:
I posted this in the HD forum, but I guess it applies more generally.

Is there a way to directly control an HR21 through the ethernet connection?

Failing that is there a cheap third party box that will connect to it, and allow control over the network?
Slingbox...you can control via the Internet via the network...

· Banned
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I know about the slingbox. Its more and less than I want. Since it down converts to SD its not what I would use to stream the video. It seems like overkill just as a network ir blaster. Also I run Linux, and don't think slingbox has a linux client.

Are there any other solutions? I understand there are ways to control it via USB, though I would like to avoid putting a computer next to the Hr-21 to get it on the network.

· Banned
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
barryb said:
Are you wanting to record a program via a browser?

If so this service is already in place.
This is my first experience with DirecTv other than Tivo. I'm not familiar with the service you mention. If its like Tivo it would be browsing to thei corporate website and picking a recording that would at some later time be communicated to the DVR (without knowledge of what was already scheduled).

Yes, I would like that capability.

However, I want to also be able to initiate live channel changes, start playback of a recording, pause, etc.

I just noticed a cable petersontech.com

(/products/usbtvtranslator.aspx)

that might do what I want. It's not clear to me what commands it allows. I was also hoping not to have to stick a PC next to the HR-21 to control it.

· Registered
2,946 Posts
Directv has a feature called "remote scheduling".

To use this feature you will need to access your account at www.directv.com (you will have to set up your login). From there you can click on any future program you would want to see, and you will see a link that reads "record to receiver". If you have multiple units it will then ask you what box you want to record too. You can even name them in your directv account based on location.

As far as being able to "control" a box completely, that's a no.

I do find it great that I can set up recordings right from my cell phone.

· Registered
5,915 Posts
jjay said:
This is my first experience with DirecTv other than Tivo. I'm not familiar with the service you mention. If its like Tivo it would be browsing to thei corporate website and picking a recording that would at some later time be communicated to the DVR (without knowledge of what was already scheduled).

Yes, I would like that capability.

However, I want to also be able to initiate live channel changes, start playback of a recording, pause, etc.

I just noticed a cable petersontech.com

(/products/usbtvtranslator.aspx)

that might do what I want. It's not clear to me what commands it allows. I was also hoping not to have to stick a PC next to the HR-21 to control it.
That product just controls the receivers through their serial commands which are supported through the usb port.

http://www.patersontech.com/products/UsbTvTranslator.aspx

· Hall Of Fame
3,862 Posts
barryb said:
Are you wanting to record a program via a browser?

If so this service is already in place.
That service is half in place at best. You can request that a recording take place, but unless you are willing to risk cancelling some other recording without question or confirmation, you have no way of knowing if your request will be honored, and even if you say cancel all possible conflicts, you still have no way of knowing if your request will be honored. Failures to record in both cases are not uncommon.

In short, the online recording scheduler is a half baked mess.

· Registered
24,401 Posts
richierich said:
Can't beat Slingbox in my opinion until they come out with HD but it controls the box and allows you to record, to watch, to change channels and it doesn't cost alot!!!
WHiel the shows may be slung in SD... POn my network they look pretty fantastic dor the quality, and its the only solution for watcing my programs when I'm on the road.... And it gives you complete control to schedule...

cartrivision said:
That service is half in place at best. You can request that a recording take place, but unless you are willing to risk cancelling some other recording without question or confirmation, you have no way of knowing if your request will be honored, and even if you say cancel all possible conflicts, you still have no way of knowing if your request will be honored. Failures to record in both cases are not uncommon.

In short, the online recording scheduler is a half baked mess.
What they have implemented so far is not what I would call a half baked mess... They give you a couple options and it is obviously somewhat limited in its ability... However, I really hope they steal a page from ReplayTV and implement their internet controls... The only thing they won't let you od is watch the program from a remote location, but full control of the unit and every setting is accessible from their website.

· Hall Of Fame
3,862 Posts
inkahauts said:
alf baked mess... They give you a couple options and it is obviously somewhat limited in its ability...
I call something that gives you no way to tell if the recording was actually scheduled a half baked mess. As I said, both types of requests can and do fail with absolutely no indication that the requested recording was not scheduled. It doesn't even provide a minimum set of functions necessary for remote scheduling management. At best it's a very incomplete start towards the goal of implementing a decent remote management function.

However, I really hope they steal a page from ReplayTV and implement their internet controls... The only thing they won't let you od is watch the program from a remote location, but full control of the unit and every setting is accessible from their website.
That's really the way to do it. Ideally, you should be able to see a screen on your computer that looks as if you are using a Slingbox to browse the guide and schedule a recording (but by simulating the remote GUI screens, not by actually streaming the video back to the remote screen).

1 Posts
I have successfully controlled a directv h20 via rs232 using a rs232 to USB adaptor. however I cannot seem to control my HR21-700 anytime i send 0xFA the unit responds with 0cF1 or NACK_CMD, any other commands cause the unit to respond with hex FB or NACK_PREFIX. is there a new prefix for the DVR units?

thank you

enelson

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.