DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Legend
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if Directv has a date set on when they are going to start broadcasting Buffalo, NY stations in HD?

I know they are scheduled to start carrying them sometime this month unless the date has been pushed back.

Thanks for your help.

Jim

3 Posts
Jim:

I sent an e-mail to customer service last weekend, here is their response:

Thanks for asking about HD programming. I know that HD programming is important to you and DIRECTV is committed to offering the best possible HD experience to you. In recent months, we have launched the first two of four satellites that will allow us to greatly expand our HD local channel offerings.

We are expecting to offer local channels in HD in Buffalo NY area this coming early January 2007. And once local HD programming launches in your city, you will be eligible for an MPEG-4-capable receiver replacement.

(I also asked about the OTA, and was given the same answer as people have been posting here, early 2007).

--Rob.

· Banned
11,498 Posts
I wonder if they will carry FOX 29 in HD. Currently TW WNY (Aldephia), TW Rochester and TW STNY don't have WUTV in HD. Don't care about 23 or 29, but Fox would be nice for the NFL and 29 is one of the very few channels on my cable line up that's still analog only and the analog noise sucks.

3 Posts
I've been watching all of the locals OTA (it will be real nice once the HR20 OTA is turned on and I can DVR programs in HD on all locals)... I am in Hamburg and am able to get all of the stations using a Terrestial Digital antenna that I located in my garage of all places. I dumped Time Warner after the service in our neighborhood went to pot (bad pixelazation, audio drop outs), and the TW tech said everything was in spec (Internet slowed to a crawl too)... funny a subcontractor has been laying new cable down the subdivision for the past few weeks... anyways, went to Directv and won't look back.

There is a thread somewhere on the board here regarding what stations have HD agreements with Directv... I think all of the Buffalo ones, except for WIVB (owned by LIN, which I guess has no agreements with directv anywhere) are signed on.

--Rob.

· Banned
11,498 Posts
went to Directv and won't look back.
You may eat those words, Verizon is rolling out Fios in the south towns. :) I'm in the TW Rochester division and service has been perfect. Switched from DirecTV in Feb of this year when I went HD as I wanted locals in HD, and an HD DVR that I didn't have to spend $700 on only to have it be obsolete in a few months when the MPEG 4 stuff came out. Picture quality on SD digital channels is much better then DirecTV, but I know what you're talking about. Being there's only three towns in Erie County that are apart of the Rochester network, most of my friends and family lived in Adelphia territory and I agree the picture quality is awful.

3 Posts
Oh yeah, I forgot about Fios :) Almost all of Hamburg is wired except for my street it seems... we are underground and the word is not until next year (I'd imagine the lovely weather has something to do with it). So, I will rephrase... I have Directv and will never look back, towards Time Warner :)

--Rob.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.