DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
The Shadow Knows!
37,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to figure out about live TV buffering while the power is "off".

I've observed cases where I turn the unit "off", come back 5 minutes later and the buffer has been preserved, in other words I can rewind through the time the unit was "off".

Other times I've come back later, turn the unit "on" and there is no live TV buffer.

I don't have enough data but it seems that live TV buffering stops when a recording starts, while the unit is "off" and does not start again until the unit is turned "on".

Does anyone have a better handle on the rules here? Should all live TV buffering stop when the unit is "off"? I'm sure that there have been cases where it hasn't stopped right away.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
At about the 10 minute mark, the HR20 relizes you are no longer there... and it stops the buffers.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
brott said:
Hmm. My expectation would be buffering regardless of the On/Off state.
The unit used to be able to do that... but as of late, I have noticed it hasn't been. I amnot sure if it was intentionally turned off, or what..

·
Legend
130 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
At about the 10 minute mark, the HR20 relizes you are no longer there... and it stops the buffers.
This seems like a misfeature to me. There have been a number of times when I've come home a little while after a show started that I had forgotten to record. With the Tivo it was always buffering, and if you happened to turn on the TV and you were midway something that looked good, you could hit REC and have the show from the beginning. With the HR20 that's not a possibility.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
munangst said:
This seems like a misfeature to me. There have been a number of times when I've come home a little while after a show started that I had forgotten to record. With the Tivo it was always buffering, and if you happened to turn on the TV and you were midway something that looked good, you could hit REC and have the show from the beginning. With the HR20 that's not a possibility.
That is also because you where not putting yoru TiVo into Standby.
If you had put it in Standby, it also would not have buffered.

Same as the HR20, if you don't put it into Standby mode... it will continue to buffer

·
Legend
223 Posts
What's the point of turning the unit off? It's not really off right? Are you really saving any wear and tear and electricity by turning it off?

This was discussed with the HR10 a few thousand times and I determined there was no point in turning it off and mine has been on for over two years now.

·
The Shadow Knows!
37,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've been tracking this issue. It seems that live tv buffering stops anytime one of these three criteria is met:

1) The unit is "off" for 10 minutes, or
2) If watching something from the list for more than 10 minutes and one item is recording [and stops before you stop watching the list item], or
3) If watching something from the list for any amount of time and two items are recording [and stop before you stop watching the list items.]

This isn't the behavior I expected from my history with TiVo. Not a huge deal if I can define the criteria. Obviously the workaround is to set a manual record for the channel you want to buffer.

Anyone else have a comment?

·
Godfather
284 Posts
Duffinator said:
What's the point of turning the unit off? It's not really off right? Are you really saving any wear and tear and electricity by turning it off?

This was discussed with the HR10 a few thousand times and I determined there was no point in turning it off and mine has been on for over two years now.
If it stops buffering after 10 minutes, you're definitely saving wear and tear on the hard drive, and I suspect it's going into a lower power mode when nothing is recording.

·
Legend
130 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
That is also because you where not putting yoru TiVo into Standby.
If you had put it in Standby, it also would not have buffered.

Same as the HR20, if you don't put it into Standby mode... it will continue to buffer
That's true, but I think the typical use model for the HR20 is different. On the HR20 remote when you press the "TV PWR OFF" button it automatically turns the HR20 off (puts it into standby mode) as well. With the previous Tivo-based DVRs, there either wasn't a SAT PWR button on the remote at all, or if there was (I think only the Sony T60 remote had one) it was separate from the button that controls the TV & AV receiver power.

So, in order to put the Tivo into standby mode you typically had to go through a couple levels of menu, but with the HR20 it's the default action that happens when you turn off the TV. As a result, I always put the HR20 into standby mode when I'm not watching TV, but I never put the Tivo into standby.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
You are right... the off button the remote, does go differently then the fact there was no "off button" on the TiVo remote

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
lamontcranston said:
I've been tracking this issue. It seems that live tv buffering stops anytime one of these three criteria is met:

1) The unit is "off" for 10 minutes, or
2) If watching something from the list for more than 10 minutes and one item is recording [and stops before you stop watching the list item], or
3) If watching something from the list for any amount of time and two items are recording [and stop before you stop watching the list items.]

This isn't the behavior I expected from my history with TiVo. Not a huge deal if I can define the criteria. Obviously the workaround is to set a manual record for the channel you want to buffer.

Anyone else have a comment?
For #2) The unit should continue to buffer, even if you are watching something from the MyVod.... the item that is recording, should be in the background tuner.

For #3) I haven't tested it specifically on the HR20, but I know the R15 (After one of the updates), will return the unit to what ever channel it was on... when it is done recording on the foreground tuner

·
Legend
223 Posts
jkc120 said:
If it stops buffering after 10 minutes, you're definitely saving wear and tear on the hard drive, and I suspect it's going into a lower power mode when nothing is recording.
This is different and easier than the HR10. When I get my two I'll be turning them off then.

·
The Shadow Knows!
37,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Earl Bonovich said:
For #2) The unit should continue to buffer, even if you are watching something from the MyVod.... the item that is recording, should be in the background tuner.

For #3) I haven't tested it specifically on the HR20, but I know the R15 (After one of the updates), will return the unit to what ever channel it was on... when it is done recording on the foreground tuner
I'm still researching but I've definitely had it stop buffering while watching something from the list, providing it was recording at least one thing while I was watching.

Again, not huge but I am just trying to understand the criteria.

·
Icon
600 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
The unit used to be able to do that... but as of late, I have noticed it hasn't been. I amnot sure if it was intentionally turned off, or what..
Thus the reason that I never turn mine off.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.