AllStar
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
Yes, OEM's can build their own ViiV...
Thus means you can build your own ViiV

I really need to find a ViiV forum, to help redirect the PC side of the equation.

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:

I really need to find a ViiV forum, to help redirect the PC side of the equation.
I trust in the Viiv sticky you'll include those links if you find them, as well as links to Intel's website for the download links for the Viiv software?

·
Lifetime Achiever
21,331 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:

Earl, you don't need to find one, you can just start one :)

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
tibber said:
Earl, you don't need to find one, you can just start one :)
:) hmmmmm.....

·
Banned
63 Posts
jrr4 said:
Can this be done?

I see on Tigerdirect.com that there is a motherboard with ViiV in the description (Asus N4L-VM DH Socket 479 MicroATX Motherboard / Viiv / Audio / VIdeo / PCI Express / Gigabit LAN / S/PDIF / USB 2.0 & Firewire / Serial ATA / RAID) - can a computer be built around this that will qualify as the necessary computer for the ViiV requirement for the HR-20?

I've built a bunch of computers, so that's not the problem - it's the ViiV spec...

Jimmy
If you purchase the correct motherboard and buy the appropriate processor, then yes it should work fine. Also you will need to buy a copy of Windows XP Media Center 2005 OEM from a reseller, which comes with the official CD and COA sticker to put on a custom computer.

Here are some Intel sites to help answer questions, and they have driver downloads...

Information:
http://www.intel.com/products/viiv/index.htm

For Downloads:
http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scr...+Center+Edition&lang=eng&strOSs=88&submit=Go!

Intel Pentium D info that explains Viiv is enabled on all series:
http://www.intel.com/products/processor/pentium_d/index.htm

·
Hall Of Fame
2,670 Posts
This is all getting crazy with the DRM. I understand the need to protect content from piracy, but if they keep this up no one will ever be able to access content. I suppose the content providers have discovered that the safest way to protect a movie/song from piracy is never to release it. If no one sees it, no one will copy it.

·
Registered
8,636 Posts
But you will need a copy of 'Media center' which is not supposed to be sold without a complete pc....

·
Godfather
267 Posts
Once again... A Mac user is left in the dark when it comes to using a DVR to view content on the computer. A Mac user who has a Mac with hi-end Intel processors even! :(

·
AllStar
91 Posts
I've been looking at the same thing this morning ever since this viiv thing came up.
I found a few media center viiv units that are reasonably priced.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,079 Posts
houskamp said:
But you will need a copy of 'Media center' which is not supposed to be sold without a complete pc....
And you will need the proper funiture to watch your DMR content

·
Banned
63 Posts
btmoore said:
And you will need the proper funiture to watch your DMR content

The OEM edition of Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 (with rollup 2) will work on a custom built computer. You can buy the CD from a reseller. With the purchase you get an official CD with a COA sticker to put on the case. Just do a google.

·
Registered
17,050 Posts
NVTanner said:
I've been looking at the same thing this morning ever since this viiv thing came up.
I found a few media center viiv units that are reasonably priced.
Please share links. :)

·
AllStar
81 Posts
houskamp said:
That use to be the case, but not anymore. You can buy Windows Media Center as a stand alone OS!

·
Registered
8,636 Posts
Don't forget to get your house and neigborhood certified too :lol:
Can't have the neighbors watching thru the windows...

·
Godfather
271 Posts
houskamp said:
If you by either a cpu or a mainboard you should qualify to get an OEM copy of XP media center.

·
Icon
550 Posts
houskamp said:
This is not entirely correct. You do need Media Center, but you do not need to buy an entire PC to get this. You must purchase "hardware that requires Media Center" to legitimately buy an OEM copy of Media Center. The standard MO is to go to Newegg.com and buy the MCE remote and IR receiver along with the software. I have checked through several channels and confirmed that this is a legitimate approach and a valid license.

Thankfully for ViiV you just need to buy the right motherboard. A true ViiV motherboard should ship with the ViiV software and you are just left to make sure that the appropriate CPU is bought.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.