DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

· Lifetime Achiever
Joined
·
21,244 Posts
Only by way of an S-video or composite or a newer Component capture card on your PC.

Cheers,
Tom
 

· Godfather
Joined
·
347 Posts
you can but not digitally. only through the analog connections at real time either to your pc via a capture card or to a dvd recorder. it would be nice to just transfer them via the network but that way is still on lockdown.
 

· Cool Member
Joined
·
16 Posts
It allows you to transfer HD shows from your DVR to your PC via the component hook ups to a USB hook up on your computer (you can also hook it up via s-video for SD). You then can burn video to DVD or edit your video (commercials) with editing software, then burn a DVD.
 

· AllStar
Joined
·
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
GTLYON said:
It allows you to transfer HD shows from your DVR to your PC via the component hook ups to a USB hook up on your computer (you can also hook it up via s-video for SD). You then can burn video to DVD or edit your video (commercials) with editing software, then burn a DVD.
Yet no Copy Protection :)
 

· Difficulty Concen........
Directv, 5 LNB Slimline Dish, HR34-700, HR44-500, C31-700, C41-700, 2 DIRECTV SWM16, 2 Zinwell WB68
Joined
·
7,251 Posts

· Super Moderator
Joined
·
13,787 Posts

· Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
1,951 Posts
thomamon said:
Is there a way to copy recorded shows to your PC with the DirecTV DVR and then burn them to a DVD?

Just curious, thanks!
I have two outfeeds on my receiver. One goes to my DVD recorder and the other to my TV. If I want something on DVD, I just play it on the DVR and start recording on the DVD recorder.

When you travel with three- and four-year-olds, you need these DVDs.
 

· AllStar
Joined
·
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
purtman said:
I have two outfeeds on my receiver. One goes to my DVD recorder and the other to my TV. If I want something on DVD, I just play it on the DVR and start recording on the DVD recorder.

When you travel with three- and four-year-olds, you need these DVDs.
How is the quality when recording to DVD and what happens with wide screen issues?
 

· Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
4,743 Posts
thomamon said:
How is the quality when recording to DVD and what happens with wide screen issues?
if hd:
obviously u lose the hd quality but its still pretty good (especially if its for kids viewing)....i use the s-video line to the dvd recorder....i set the disk record speed to get 2 hours max recorded on it....more than that the pic quality starts to really degrade.

havent played around with watching on 4x3 but i think:
if u record 16x9 and watch on 4x3 it gets scrunched....i think u can adjust the recoders options to record in 4x3 if u want if thats what it wil be viewed on.

but taping 16x9 & watching on 16x9 looks good.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
31,115 Posts
dcowboy7 said:
if hd:
obviously u lose the hd quality but its still pretty good (especially if its for kids viewing)....i use the s-video line to the dvd recorder....i set the disk record speed to get 2 hours max recorded on it....more than that the pic quality starts to really degrade.
Same here...with the original content being in HD...the 1 or 2 hour standard DVD recording playback is actually very good (but not HD, of course).

I've used my Toshiba recorder to "archive" a number of things I wanted to offload from the HD DVR and keep long-term.
 

· Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
4,743 Posts
spartanstew said:
do you think it's better, worse or about the same as if you were transferring VHS tapes to DVD (via a combo unit)?
i would say on a scale with 10 being the best hd pic quality:

copying an hd program thru s-video to dvd = 7.
copying vhs taped program to dvd = 5 at best.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
31,115 Posts
dcowboy7 said:
i would say on a scale with 10 being the best hd pic quality:

copying an hd program thru s-video to dvd = 7.
copying vhs taped program to dvd = 5 at best.
I'd say if you record HD content to a quality DVD recorder at the max quality level...I'd pretty much agree..

copying an hd program thru s-video to dvd = 7.5
copying vhs taped program to dvd = 5 at best
 
1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top