DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Cool Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My decision is made. I am going with dish Net. However, I have not decided wether to go the the 'Digital Home Plan' or buy the equipment. I do know that I want the 501 receiver. But, I am confused by the large variation in price ( $58.0 to +$300.00) for a system. The cheaper prices are Internet sites but I do not know how to judge their trustworthyness. Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated.

·
Hall Of Fame
5,046 Posts
I prefer to buy, I just priced out a 301 and 501 for my brother in law which came to $280.00 which included installation and 3 months of free programming.

I think most of us around here have used www.DishDepot.com and www.allsat.com and found them reputable, I'm sure there others.

If you lease, programming is more depending on the no. of receivers and there's an activation fee, plus another $100.00 if you want a 501. I guess whatever your comfortable with?

·
Icon
955 Posts
It basically boils down to how many STBs you need. If it's one, or even two, it's usually better to buy outright. The $5/mo you save will add up over several years.

If you want or need 3 or 4 you probably don't want to lay out that much cash up front (you'd also have to buy a switch to run more than 2 from the dish) so the $5/mo leasing fee seems more reasonable.

·
Godfather/Supporter
342 Posts
one nice thing about the lease is it is covered by warranty. I bought my equip but my father leased his. He just had his quad lnb go bad and a 501 and Dishnetwork sent someone out and replaced both free of charge

·
DishRetailer.com Administrator/Supporter
107 Posts
All you guys are missing the biggest thing except Walsh. He said he wants the 501. Thats great, the 501 is a horse. But if he buys outright, he will only have a 1 year warranty. If he sends the receiver in for repair within 1 year, they will charge him shipping charges and whatever else they can get him for. If hes on the digital home plan, he will get FREE replacement of any of his equipment if it malfunctions. The 501 is big bucks to replace out of your pocket. I would go with DHP.

·
9 Posts
Originally posted by Pro-Com
All you guys are missing the biggest thing except Walsh. He said he wants the 501. Thats great, the 501 is a horse. But if he buys outright, he will only have a 1 year warranty. If he sends the receiver in for repair within 1 year, they will charge him shipping charges and whatever else they can get him for. If hes on the digital home plan, he will get FREE replacement of any of his equipment if it malfunctions. The 501 is big bucks to replace out of your pocket. I would go with DHP.
How does buying from a retailer differ from the DHP? I am looking at a 501 with the DHP and it seems like the way to go. Am I missing anything?

·
Mentor
36 Posts
The Club Dish Certificate is a gift cert that "entitle you to a FREE DN premium Sat system, FREE install and $50 off a second receiver. "

Must be used by 7/31/02
Good for new first time subs only
Valid CC required
12 month of AT50 req. . @ $22.99/mo

... I don't know what receivers they consider "Premium" but I'd bet you could upgrade to a PRV501/508 or 721 if desired for extra $$$

e-me if ya want one ([email protected])

·
Icon
955 Posts
Originally posted by hfwarner3

How does buying from a retailer differ from the DHP? I am looking at a 501 with the DHP and it seems like the way to go. Am I missing anything?
DHP is the promotion or plan. Technically you are not buying it but leasing the eqmt. You can "buy" DHP certificates online or at mass-marketers like Sears & Radio Shack. Then you will have the installation done by RSP ("Regional Service Provider") which could be E*'s own DNSC or a contractor (or subcontractor). Then you get the 800# for tech support etc.

You are likely to be much more satified with the installation, support, and service after the "sale" if you can find a local experienced professional full-service independent retailer. You won't pay anymore for the DHP deal so it doesn't make sense to get it thru an impersonal mass-marketer who won't care about you after you sign up.

:) ;)

·
Hall Of Fame
1,637 Posts
For $1.99/month you can buy the extended warranty plan that covers all your equipment including switches, LNB's, dishes and as many receivers as you have activated.

The cost savings of $3.01/month would easily cover the $14 shipping charge should the need arise.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.