DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
9,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It appears that times may be changing and one should be very cautious if purchasing an Owned DIRECTV receiver from a DIRECTV employee. I am not a DIRECTV employee so I don't know all of the rules they have to follow but it looks like if you purchase a receiver from an (Ex)employee that you may not be able to activate it.

ADMIN EDIT: This thread is for discussion purposes only. This is not official information from DirecTV therefore it must be considered rumor. With that said, it is highly suggested to do your homework before buying ANY receiver.

·
Registered
931 Posts
As long as the employee is an EX employee and one that has owned equipment, it is transferable. AFTER seperation of employment, you can purchase/activate it IF the account is in good standing. Some peeps work for DTV in a contracted position that may involve different rules. If in doubt always call DTV and ask for the Access Card Department. Before shelling out any $$$

·
Registered
931 Posts
Not anymore.. New policy but former employees can no longer sell their stuff. Dtv will not activate
NOT true FORMER employees can sell their equip if they own it, and in some cases like vendors or HSP's they don't ......CURRENT employees can't sell their equip or even trade it...

·
Super Moderator
12,874 Posts
Bottom line is: Always get the Receiver ID number (RID), then call the access card department and ask whether or not you could activate the unit if you purchased it. This applies to any used, allegedly owned, receiver/DVR whether it is from a former employee, on an auction site, or in a yard sale.

·
Founder
17,326 Posts
I have added the following to the first post in this thread:

This thread is for discussion purposes only. This is not official information from DirecTV therefore it must be considered rumor. With that said, it is highly suggested to do your homework before buying ANY receiver.

·
Premium Member
36,632 Posts
Chris Blount said:
I have added the following to the first post in this thread:

This thread is for discussion purposes only. This is not official information from DirecTV therefore it must be considered rumor. With that said, it is highly suggested to do your homework before buying ANY receiver.
This is the correct number to call to get the Access Card Dept.: 877-887-7994. I wouldn't trust anyone else when it comes to buying an owned HR. Most of the HRs for sale on eBay are leased. I call a few times a week about them and I haven't seen an owned HR (a model that I would buy) in quite a while. Some of the folks that sell them on a regular basis (have no idea where they get them) I never check, but the prices are too high for those. I think.

Rich

·
DINFOS Trained Killer
1,217 Posts
go to the former dtv employee selling equipment thread in the buy, sell, trade thread. in addition to my comments, there is a comment from a dtv employee and a dbstalk member who was told he couldn't activate the equipment he recently purchased from a former employee.

·
Hall Of Fame
4,974 Posts
iceturkee said:
Not anymore.. New policy but former employees can no longer sell their stuff. Dtv will not activate.
I dont think that is a clear cut answer. What if I own my recievers and then I start working with DirecTV? I should still own what I owned before I started with them.

·
Hall Of Fame
3,985 Posts
Since nearly all "new" DirecTV receivers have been leased rather than owned for several years now, what are we talking about here? Some old Hughes HAH series and maybe some Sony TIVOs? It is my understanding that the impetus for still buying receivers is to get the model that one wants, which DirecTV cannot or will not arrange, so it seems implausible that an employee would have "bought" his receiver from DirecTV rather than taking the leased model, since he would not get the benefit of guaranteeing the model he received.

·
Hall Of Fame
4,974 Posts
AntAltMike said:
Since nearly all "new" DirecTV receivers have been leased rather than owned for several years now, what are we talking about here? Some old Hughes HAH series and maybe some Sony TIVOs? It is my understanding that the impetus for still buying receivers is to get the model that one wants, which DirecTV cannot or will not arrange, so it seems implausible that an employee would have "bought" his receiver from DirecTV rather than taking the leased model, since he would not get the benefit of guaranteeing the model he received.
There are some things you are not getting here. Someone could leasea HR34, cancel it and not send it back, then pay the DNF fee and own it. They could have owned equipment and have a older unit replaced with a HR24 and then start working for DirecTV. There ae ways. Seems like some are being way to narrow minded. Things are possible.

·
DINFOS Trained Killer
1,217 Posts
joshjr said:
I dont think that is a clear cut answer. What if I own my recievers and then I start working with DirecTV? I should still own what I owned before I started with them.
anything that dtv would give you gratis while you are employed would not be eligible to be sold, even after you terminated your employment. that's what two people on the customer advocacy team told me. take it however you want.

·
Godfather
439 Posts
I don't think anyone really wants the deactivated Hughes SD-HBH's I have lying around somewhere, LOL!

·
Registered
32,456 Posts
Going full circle back to the original post.

It is clear the intent of this information was to alert folks here to be aware of a rumored change in policy for DirecTV employees (they used to get equipment as owned and could sell it as owned, regardless of being a current or past employee), as well as the fact that purchasing any receiver or DVR as an "owned" unit carries some risk. The only exception to any risk is buying it from DirecTV, but that will likely be at full retail price.

It can be done (I just bought an HD DVR in the past 60 days, and all my equipment is owned), but extra effort and research is part of that purchasing process. I am not affiliated with nor an employee of DirecTV. You should also plan that a $20 new Access Card will be required for any new owned hardware you buy, as activating a previous owner card is no longer an option.

Since DirecTV has been leasing equipment, especially the newer hardware for many years now...owned equipment is getting to be far less common.

As a "buyer beware" post, readers should simply heed the recommendation and proceed accordingly.

·
1*
10,289 Posts
AntAltMike said:
Since nearly all "new" DirecTV receivers have been leased rather than owned for several years now, what are we talking about here? Some old Hughes HAH series and maybe some Sony TIVOs?
There are a lot of owned receivers out there. Any owned receiver replaced via the PP is owned. MDU receivers in many cases are still considered to be owned. Also, DirecTV employees can get receivers at little or no cost and many of them are considered to be owned.

joshjr said:
There are some things you are not getting here. Someone could leasea HR34, cancel it and not send it back, then pay the DNF fee and own it. They could have owned equipment and have a older unit replaced with a HR24 and then start working for DirecTV. There ae ways. Seems like some are being way to narrow minded. Things are possible.
DirecTV will not activate the HR34 in the example that you posted. Even though the DNR fee was paid, DirecTV will flag that receiver and it will not be able to be activated.

- Merg

·
Large Member
4,867 Posts
The Merg said:
There are a lot of owned receivers out there. Any owned receiver replaced via the PP is owned. MDU receivers in many cases are still considered to be owned.
Regarding mdu, as of July 2009 new mdu subs went over to the lease model. So purchased pre-2009 yes.

Lots of mdu folks actually would throw out receivers when they moved. In some larger properties with a large tenant turnover building management literally had them stacked to the ceiling (mostly SD boxes but plenty of DVR's and HD-DVR's) and would beg the mdu providers to come and take them away.

If you lived near an mdu type property usually you could score a couple of owned HR's with relative ease for a six-pack to the building manager. :) Of course now with the change to the lease model almost 3 yrs ago that is pretty much gone except for some long time residents who move out. The newer folks who left their leased boxes behind will be in for a rude awakening a few months later when the fees hit their CC's. :eek2:

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.