DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Legend
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With Grit TV, GetTV, and Laff TV now available on Dish Network, will we see Buzzr (a network devoted to game shows available on local stations' subcarriers) on Dish anytime soon?

·
Godfather
949 Posts
One would hope more of the digital subchannels show up on DISH, but DISH already has Game Show Network, and Bzzzr is more or less a similar concept, just with older game shows. The networks most people want are MeTV, Antenna, COSI (full time), Heroes and Icons (owned by MeTV), etc. They were testing Qubo (owned bu ION) a few months ago. It continues to be strange that all these oldies channels have much greater appeal that what Viacom, NBC Universal, Fox and TimeWarner air on their pay channels.

There are even some good items on RetroTV, Comet, ThisTV, Escape, Bounce and a few others. Even Decades. Each have a genre that easily replaced their pay equivalent. Though, Chiller is better than Comet.

So, you may get your wish, over time. As, it seems, DISH is slowly adding these channels and dropping very unpopular ones; Esquire TV went a couple weeks ago.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Buzzr is a great Game Show Channel, if a viewer is into old Game Shows like What's My Line with John Charles Daly, I've Got a Secret with Gary Moore, and To Tell The Truth with Bud Collyer, along with Let's Make A Deal with Monty Hall. GSN used to run lots of old shows, but they have become a disappointment, as most of the cable fare has. I remember TNT carrying Ben Casey & Dr. Kildare when the channel came on. Mr. Novak was another. FX also ran a lot of old shows from Fox. One reason the Flex Pack has less of an interest to me, as the cable fare do not run the older shows even as filler. Their filler today are wall to wall infomercials. There is little value to me is much of the current programming. I especially enjoy the diginet fare Dish has been adding like Get TV, Laff, Cozi, Family Net, and now Grit. Hopefully more will follow. One thing nice for Dish, channels like this are inexpensive to add. If I purchase a package of deginet channels on Dish, I would it a moment. Cheers to Dish for adding so many diginet channels. I love them!

·
Godfather
949 Posts
That may be your local station or having full screen turned on your DISH box.

MeTV here is 16x9, but shows programming in original aspect ratio (mostly usually 4x3). For example, on "Svenghoolie" (Saturday night horror movie show), most movies are pre-1952, and are in 4x3, but the non-movie portions, of the show, are now 16x9. Commercial air in bot 16x9 and 4x3 format, and the black bars can be seen in 4x3 format.

You may want to check to see if you have full screen on your DISH box. I noticed that if I go to Chiller, and set full screen, and go to an OTA channel, it is also full screen, but cannot switch to normal mode, without going to a DISH SD channel first.

kucharsk said:
Not MeTV anymore; they recently started stretching all 4:3 content to 14:9. :-(

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
I agree. One of the main reasons I keep Dish is these diginet channels.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
I would have to go to Charter Cable to get more diginets, as Direct does not carry them. I am sure glad Dish has been adding them. Probably inexpensive to add and not much space as most are in SD.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.