DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· The Shadow Knows!
36,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a new one --

Let me say up front that I know that I won't get any sympathy from my northern brethren on the first part of this post. If it's any consolation I grew up in the Boston area and I know what cold is. OK, let's get to it.

Winter is here in Southern California, and nighttime temperatures in the house have dropped to the mid 60s, while daytime temperatures are in the mid 70s. At the same time, my HR20 has begun buzzing.

This is clearly a harmless vibration. It's coming from the top portion of the case and the sound is easy to stop by touching the case. It comes back when you let go. By prodding and pressing the case in different corners, I can get it to go away for a day or so, but it comes back.

Clearly I'm going to have to tighten the case down or shim it in a way that gets rid of this buzz. I just won't stand for it.

Does anyone else have a buzzy HR20? Does anyone have a suggestion for fixing it that won't run afoul of any warranties?

· Registered
5,952 Posts
lamontcranston said:
Here's a new one --

Let me say up front that I know that I won't get any sympathy from my northern brethren on the first part of this post. If it's any consolation I grew up in the Boston area and I know what cold is. OK, let's get to it.

Winter is here in Southern California, and nighttime temperatures in the house have dropped to the mid 60s, while daytime temperatures are in the mid 70s. At the same time, my HR20 has begun buzzing.

This is clearly a harmless vibration. It's coming from the top portion of the case and the sound is easy to stop by touching the case. It comes back when you let go. By prodding and pressing the case in different corners, I can get it to go away for a day or so, but it comes back.

Clearly I'm going to have to tighten the case down or shim it in a way that gets rid of this buzz. I just won't stand for it.

Does anyone else have a buzzy HR20? Does anyone have a suggestion for fixing it that won't run afoul of any warranties?
I'd call D* and ask them what to do, or get another box.(have them replace it)..the buzzing will make ya crazy!

· Hall Of Fame
1,020 Posts
I had the same problem and I got it to go away for good by addding an extra foot to the right front corner of the case right under where the access card if for I found that the viberation was really coming from the access card and when I place the extra foot under that corner it has not buzzed since.

· The Shadow Knows!
36,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hasan said:
I'd call D* and ask them what to do, or get another box.(have them replace it)..the buzzing will make ya crazy!
Good suggestion but I actually have a DVR which records, plays back, etc. I'm afraid that a replacement might be a clunker.

You're right about it driving me crazy, though. I'm hoping I can tighten a screw, or shove a piece of paper in it somewhere.

A bit sad that I have to recall my days driving an early 1970s Chevrolet which had a similar problem.

· Icon
545 Posts
lamontcranston said:
Here's a new one --

I sympathize with you!:sure: It's bad enough having to live on the wrong coast, never mind having to deal with nitetime temps in the 60's.:rolleyes:

:D

· The Shadow Knows!
36,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
iceman2a said:
I sympathize with you!:sure: It's bad enough having to live on the wrong coast, never mind having to deal with nitetime temps in the 60's.:rolleyes:

:D
I deserve that.

· DBSTalk Club Member
237 Posts
Same exact problem here - was fine since the start of Sept. First started the buzzing when I had a DVD player stacked on top - moving the dvd stopped it for a while - but it just started again yesterday without anything on top. Put two felt sticky pads on the two front feet of the unit = stopped it yesterday - well see if it starts again.

· The Shadow Knows!
36,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'll definitely check the access card - though I'm pretty certain it's the case - and look at putting some felts on the feet. Any other ideas?

· The Shadow Knows!
36,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, I thought I had some felt pieces in the garage. I didn't. However, a couple of folded-up pieces of paper towel seem to be quieting the little bugger down. I'll continue to post on the continuing saga...

· DBSTalk Club Member
463 Posts
It's good to see this thread -- I thought I might be alone in this problem! After living with it for several weeks, I tried various things and ended up doing pretty much what others described -- I put a couple of paper "shims" (five or six pieces of regular paper, cut into two half-inch squares) under the two front feet. Hasn't buzzed since.

· Legend
192 Posts
Mine vibrates though I don't really hear a buzzing sound. Since my HR20 is sitting on top of my DVD player and I was worried about vibrations affecting the DVD player, I placed four Audioquest Sorbothane rubber feet under the HR20's feet and the problem is solved.

The HR20's vibrations are now kept to itself and not transmitted to the DVD player or the shelving unit. Works like a charm.

There are many vibration control feet out there....some expensive.....some pretty cheap.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.