DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Super Moderator
53,879 Posts
Goodell is an idiot. Putting NFL Sunday Ticket on a streaming service will be a disaster. Too many folks who live in rural areas that don’t have reliable high speed internet service are going to be screwed out of seeing NFL Games.
Under the DIRECTV contract the NFL received $1.5 billion per year (for the last few years) regardless of the number of actual subscribers. There is no financial reason to care who could or could not receive the content. The NFL's only consideration was could they get more than $1.5 billion from anyone else.

When the streaming contract is announced it won't matter who or who will not be able to watch. What will seal the deal is how many billions of dollars some company is willing to pay.

·
Super Moderator
53,879 Posts
The article clears that up pretty good and the subsequent twitter exchange someone posted Commercial via Directv is dead unless Directv makes a deal with the new provider
Which article?

The article that started this round of discussion (at Pro Football Talk) said:
"Appearing on CNBC, Roger Goodell said that Sunday Ticket will exit DirecTV after the 2022 season."

No such caveat adding an "unless".

Pro Football Talk continues:
"Via Daniel Kaplan of TheAthletic.com, Goodell said that Sunday Ticket will end up with a streaming service, and that a decision will be made this fall."
And then they link this tweet:

The rest of the Pro Football Talk article is previously reported information - none of it adding an "unless".

The Deadline article linked the CNBC video:
Then Deadline went back to older speculation.

·
Super Moderator
53,879 Posts
I think directtv will be around at least until bars and restaurants figure out new technology
I would not count on any distribution via DIRECTV at this time.

Once the streamer is announced we should have some idea what will happen. If it is ESPN they already have an agreement to extend ESPN+ via DIRECTV to business customers so the idea of extending "ESPN NFL Sunday Ticket" live games to business customers is practical. If it is Apple or Amazon a similar agreement could be reached.

If the streamer can make a billion dollars by having a "for business" offering via DIRECTV (or DISH or both) I expect they will make that deal. I don't expect any residential offering other than via their own streaming service.

·
Super Moderator
53,879 Posts
I often watch 2 or 3 games in the same time slot on Sundays, switching between games and fast-forwarding during breaks in the games. DVR'ing the games also means I don't have to miss anything when games overlap. That's why I'm hoping DirecTV will make a deal with the winning bidder to continue carrying the games.
The alternative would be the streamer coming up with an interface where one could watch multiple games of their own choice at the same time. I also expect the streamer to be storing a copy of every game live and having every game available (including games aired in a subscribers market) at some point later in the week if not later the same day.

While there is a potential that a streamer will come up with a lousy interface there is also the potential that the interface will be much better than what can be rolled at home using a DVR and channels. The biggest loss will be the DVR ability to keep a game "forever" (as long as the hard drive has free space and survives and one remains a DIRECTV subscriber) instead of only having access to previous games as long as you subscribe to the Sunday Ticket Package.

If there is an NFL Films tie in we could see access to previous years games and highlights that far exceed the product that DIRECTV was able to deliver. Sunday Ticket has the potential to be a better product.

·
Super Moderator
53,879 Posts
Somehow the NFL Sunday Ticket survived 20 plus years of exclusivity granted to a satellite carrier that could not be received in every home in America. I believe they will survive a move to streaming (even without commercial reception of Sunday Ticket).

The big money for the NFL comes from the broadcast deals. They would be able to survive without offering Sunday Ticket via any distributor - and there is no legal requirement that the NFL offer out of market games.

Looking at the history of NFL Sunday Ticket --
1994 ... DIRECTV launches satellite service and a few months later launches Sunday Ticket. At that time Sunday Ticket is also available via "big ugly dish" satellite systems. DIRECTV had 320,000 subscribers to their satellite service by the end of 1994. (Not a Sunday Ticket subscriber number.)
2002 ... DIRECTV renews their now exclusive deal for Sunday Ticket ... paying $2 million for five years ($400 million per year) for 2003-2007. 11.7 million DIRECTV subscribers at the end of 2002. This deal includes the then still to be launched NFL Channel. (This is reported as a renewal of an expiring 5 year/$130 million per year contract.)
2004 ... DIRECTV renews their deal for Sunday Ticket ... paying $3.5 billion for five years ($700 million per year average) for 2005-2010. 13.9 million DIRECTV subscribers at the end of 2004.
2009 ... DIRECTV renews their deal for Sunday Ticket ... paying $4 billion for four years ($1 billion per year average) to extend through 2014. 18.5 million DIRECTV subscribers at the end of 2009. This renewal allowed DIRECTV to distribute Sunday Ticket via streaming to subscribers who could not physically receive DIRECTV satellite.
2014 ... DIRECTV renews their deal for Sunday Ticket ... paying $12 billion for eight years ($1.5 billion per year average) to extend through 2022. 20.3 million DIRECTV subscribers at the end of 2014. Renewing the contract was one of the terms of the AT&T deal with DIRECTV that consummated in 2015 - although AT&T was never allowed to put Sunday Ticket on UVERSE or any version of the AT&T TV streaming services.
2021 ... AT&T sells control of DIRECTV to TPG with a stipulation that AT&T covers up to $2.5 billion in losses for the end of the Sunday Ticket deal. DIRECTV did not report satellite subscribers as a separate number so it is unknown how many of their then 15.4 million remaining subscribers were eligible to receive Sunday Ticket. The Sunday Ticket subscriber count is estimated at 2 million.
2022 ... DIRECTV declines renewal of Sunday Ticket.

There has been "outrage" over DIRECTV having an exclusive contract to carry Sunday Ticket for the past 20 years. The NFL has survived. The NFL has survived much bigger outrages than the limited availability of Sunday Ticket!

The new deal will allow the NFL to reach more people who can stream than people who subscribe to DIRECTV. Even if they lost every remaining DIRECTV satellite subscriber they would have a larger pool of people who CAN stream to market to. That larger pool makes it a lot more cost effective for a company like Apple to step in and pay $2-3 billion per year and still make a profit.

·
Super Moderator
53,879 Posts
No I don’t have Amazon. I am talking about the Friday Night New York Yankees games that were moved to Amazon this season. I have seen where fans are pissed there because they can’t see Yankee games on YES. You probably get those Friday night games but on the opposition’s RSN. But in New York you have to have Amazon Prime to get those games. Fans have been tweeting they want them put back on YES because many don’t have Amazon Prime Streaming.
Irrelevant to the NFL Sunday Ticket since the NFL broadcast deals allow every game to be delivered within the team's home markets (including the Amazon games).

I bet this isn’t the last season of NFL Sunday Ticket on DIRECTV. Bet they find a way to maintain it. Whether it be commercial or residential.
I don't gamble, but I believe you would lose that bet. I see ZERO chance of Sunday Ticket being available to residential DIRECTV subscribers (other than if they subscribe to NFL Sunday Ticket separately and receive it via streaming). I see commercial distribution as possible but NOT required. (Not required by law or for the success of Sunday Ticket.)

·
Super Moderator
53,879 Posts
There is no way the NFL could be allowed to go to an all streaming service.
Whom, in your opinion, is going to stop them?
Got an answer for this? Or are you planning on backing out of your claim since the NFL will not be an "all streaming service" due to their already signed contracts with broadcasters allowing broadcast of games within each team's home market.

Who is going to stop the NFL from offering Sunday Ticket as stream only?

·
Super Moderator
53,879 Posts
If DirecTV is completely shut out of Sunday Ticket, I hope they will offer the Red Zone channel.
I will be surprised if DIRECTV doesn't carry the Red Zone channel offered by nearly every other MVPD with the NFL Network.

The NFL, or Netflix, or MLB is under zero obligation to ensure each home is served by an adequate connection to receive their programming.
And more people have access to broadband than subscribe to DIRECTV satellite.

·
Super Moderator
53,879 Posts
Actually no I have no answer. But mark it down it will hurt out of market fans who want to see their favorite teams & an the NFL will get an indication of this starting on Thursday Nights this year when Thursday Night Games move to Amazon.
More people will have access to NFL Sunday Ticket via streaming than have access to NFL Sunday Ticket via DIRECTV. The streaming service won't require a subscription to a specific expensive MVPD. Subscribers will be able to stay with DIRECTV, move to another service or (if desired) not subscribe to any MVPD. (I believe most of the estimated 2 million subscribers to Sunday Ticket will maintain an MVPD subscription - even if it isn't with DIRECTV.)

There are expected to be over 122 million subscribers to broadband in the US by the end of 2022. A far bigger pool of potential subscribers to Sunday Ticket than DIRECTV's subscriber count.

·
Super Moderator
53,879 Posts
The NFL is considering launching "NFL Plus" which will be direct to consumer. They may be rolling their current offering into the package with their future streaming partner.

The best part about having a partner is the guaranteed income. For the past few years they have been collecting $1.5 billion dollars regardless of what DIRECTV can make off of the deal. If they can get $2-3 billion dollars per year out of a partner they should be happy. The risk is on the partner (along with operating expenses, production expenses beyond the feeds produced by CBS and Fox, customer service, etc.).

·
Super Moderator
53,879 Posts
"Sports fans have been abused for years and as long as they keep paying, they'll continue to be abused. What YOU want and what I want are meaningless if enough people continue to pay." As Grafixguy has said, it's always about the money. Why did the LA schools jump to the B1G; for the $'s. It certainly wasn't about the non-revenue sports. It seems like every new contract package that is negotiated for the Conferences/ Leagues doubles in new money. Good for the powers that be I guess. From what I've read, it seems like the new Sunday Ticket package will be north of 2 Billion $'s, up from DIRECTV's Billion. It's just my money and everyone want's more of it as well (so much for my 3% raise in March). I'll watch my sports as I have for the past 50 years; I just won't cheer as hard as I did in the past. Time for a cannonball at the pool and upset those relaxing pool side!
20 years ago it was DIRECTV's $130 million per year for Sunday Ticket. The last eight years are averaging $1.5 billion per year. The rate DIRECTV paid for Sunday Ticket tripled in 2003 to $400 million then nearly doubled again to $700 million effective in 2006. DIRECTV started paying $1 billion per year with their 2011-2014 contract.

NFL carriage on the broadcast side (CBS,Fox,NBC,ESPN/ABC, Amazon) is around $4.9 billion in 2022 and will jump to $10 billion per year for 2022-2033. That includes simulcast streaming on each network's streaming platform for in market games (Paramount, Tubi, Peacock, ESPN+ respectively). A billion here, a billion there - after a while they are talking real money. IIRC the players are getting 48% of the television revenue.

·
Super Moderator
53,879 Posts
Almost 30 years. 1994-2022. Wow time flies.
Exclusive for at least 20 ... probably due to attrition (the other delivery options in 1994 simply going away). The point being that for a long time Sunday Ticket has only been available to 20 million or less people (usually a lot less). In 2023 Sunday Ticket will be available to 122 million people who already subscribe to some form of broadband.
Sounds like a win for the NFL.

·
Super Moderator
53,879 Posts
Per the CNBC interview, these are the bidders for Sunday Ticket:
Product Rectangle Font Screenshot Signage

Four out of the five will be carrying games next season on their streaming services as part of the new broadcast contracts signed last year.

·
Super Moderator
53,879 Posts
Good for your father-in-law. What the hell is Starlink?
Satellite internet. Does Bing and Google not work on your current ISP? :)

·
Super Moderator
53,879 Posts
The best solution is to make it available to multiple services but the value is in the exclusivity.
Excusivity gives the NFL $2-3 billion dollars without concern over how many people subscribe. A non exclusive deal means they don't get the billions unless enough people subscribe. It is theoretically possible they cold make more money on a non exclusive deal, but they would lose the guaranteed income.

·
Super Moderator
53,879 Posts
How do you think the owners pay those ridiculous player contracts? $100 million for throwing a football times hundreds of players.
The highest paid player receives $45 million per year ... most much less.

·
Super Moderator
53,879 Posts
So its impossible for them to have another built? You know their is all kinds of satellites at 22,000 miles away dont you?
Just a reminder your talking about 15,000,000 people right now?
15 million subscribers ... which I would compare to households, not people. Back when DIRECTV was nearing the 25 million subscriber mark they were advertising 50 million people watching. 15 million households is over 10% of all households and 20% of pay TV households. Not bad. Still making billions of dollars in profit.

·
Super Moderator
53,879 Posts
The problem is that with the loss of every satellite subscriber, the costs that have to be borne by the rest of the subscribers goes up.
The most expensive part of the monthly subscription is the payment passed on to the content providers. Only the overhead has to be spread out over less subscribers. While there are big ticket investments, those costs are spread out over millions of subscribers over dozens of years. Streaming faces the problem of every new subscriber costing the company MORE in overhead. Millions of individual streams to subscriber devices add up. As the streamer grows they must add additional infrastructure to deliver those streams. A larger portion of the subscription goes toward getting that content out the door.

There is simply no way to get around it and that is why even the most basic subscribers are having to pay for their equipment upgrades, additional montly fees, and are doling out well over $100/month for DBS service when streaming competitors are offering the same service for 1/2 the cost or less.
People paying half are not getting the same service. You are not going to find a $50 service that provides every channel and all the content of a $100 satellite service. There will be something missing from the $50 service.

And then the subscriber will need to pay for their own Internet to view the streaming service. Sure, they may subscribe to the same data plans and home Internet without subscribing to a streamer but to pretend that there is no cost is deceptive.

As subscribers move from traditional MVPDs to streaming vMVPDs or non MVPD versions of streaming the cost of content will follow the subscribers. If one wants the content one needs to pay, regardless of the delivery method.

·
Super Moderator
53,879 Posts
YouTubeTV gives you 85+ channels for $65
Hulu Live TV gives you 75+ for $70
Neither of those are the $100 in content for $50 claim that you made in your previous post.
Yup, they just don't have to pay $250/month to watch 10% of the services they pay for.
And now you are doubling down by further inflating the cost of satellite. When you are ready to calm down and have a rational (less emotional) conversation we can get into the details.

TL;DR Version: Streaming allows you to watch anything you want and pay for it al a carte for a lot less.
Nice claim. Not 100% true, but nice claim. The claim only works if one limits "anything you want" to whatever is available via streaming AND limit "anything you want" to less than a full subscription. One can narrowly define a few content channels and scream from the mountaintops that streaming is cheaper within that narrow definition.

A la carte will be the death of low priced TV. Right now content providers are surviving on their "deliver our channels to 80 million MVPD subscribers every month whether they watch or not" marketing plan. When people decide that they don't want to pay $10 per RSN or $20 for the ESPN channels and their MVPD lets them opt out the customers who want that content will be paying more. $20 for an a la carte RSN? $30 for the ESPN channels. It will only be cheaper if one chooses not to subscribe.

A la carte will allow people to choose to not subscribe. Hopefully the content channel can survive on less subscribers paying more than the current "everyone pays a share" plan. And hopefully none of the content channels that die are ones that you or I want to watch.

·
Super Moderator
53,879 Posts
When you are ready to calm down and have a rational (less emotional) conversation we can get into the details. This isn't a longest post contest.
And, oh my gosh, what if it is NFL Sunday Ticket that will no longer be on DTV and you have to stream it instead? That could never happen, right?
Sure it can happen - and will happen. We have been discussing it for at least a year. Annoying if one never streams any content and needs to add or configure equipment or if one has poor Internet and annoying if one has been receiving free NFL ST for so long they forgot how much it costs. Many people will pay DIRECTV $300 this year (plus their regular subscription fee) then pay Apple $300 next year (which may include the regular fee). They don't have to lose DIRECTV to watch Sunday Ticket via streaming.

Are you expecting Apple to give away Sunday Ticket for free with a $60 per year Apple TV+ subscription? The move to streaming pretty much ends "free NFL Sunday Ticket".

1 - 20 of 82 Posts