DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,427 Posts
Goodell is deluded if he thinks this is a simple matter of flipping a switch. DIRECTV has spent years trying to perfect the product and they still have issues. That it can be rolled out from scratch in 12 months or less on a largely open platform is probably optimistic.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,427 Posts
Baseball has done multiple game steams for years now, and it works. There's the usual streaming in restaurant and bars issue, but I think that will be worked out too. Everyone thinks things can't possibly work a new way, until it can.
If the NFL rights situation was anything like that of MLB or MLS, you might have an argument.

My observation isn't just about who gets to see the games but also what hoops the winner will have to go through to validate that each view is in accordance with the rules. DIRECTV has a very tidy access control system in place where streaming can be considerably more difficult (especially with respect to viewing location).

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,427 Posts
No, what is very stupid is forcing people to switch to a streaming service when there is no reason to.
There are a couple of really big reasons for the NFL to part ways with DIRECTV:
  • DIRECTV doesn't have the customer base to support the product anymore and they've publicly stated that they don't intend to compete for an exclusive going forward (this, by itself, is a show stopper)
  • The NFL wants a much larger payday from a single source that takes responsibility for the production and distribution of the product
DIRECTV is the party that let you down.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,427 Posts
And you don't think that this hasn't been discussed with the new providers?
I'm betting that the NFL doesn't want to change their market rules to match those of other leagues. Why do you think they'll cave?

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,427 Posts
I see no reason why a streaming service can't work with the NFL (and the networks) to honor whatever system they want to use.
The NFL's rules are considerably more exclusive than most. It is less like MLB where multiple teams can often claim the same addresses. I suspect that the leagues caved into what the streamers could reasonably implement.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,427 Posts
Directv's FIRST satellite failure is unlikely to hit until after 2030.
That depends on whether DIRECTV 8 (17 years, 119W) and DIRECTV 9S (almost 16 years, 101W) hold out until they finally close the door on Ku-only receivers. There are well upwards of 700 SD LIL channels currently being carried by DIRECTV 8 and DIRECTV 9S.

DIRECTV 16 surely can't handle the entirety of 101W by itself.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,427 Posts
same here. We will have basic cable paid for as part of our HOA in a new home but DirectTV will still be in at least the living room of the new house.
Have you formally verified that the HOA will allow you to have DIRECTV installed?

HOAs can be very fussy about such things and while they're rarely in The Right with respect to OTARD, they can drag it out.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,427 Posts
Does this mean we get 4k & HDR for every game now?
This is not a logical conclusion. The game coverage will continue to come from most of the same parties (Fox, CBS, NBC, ESPN) that are providing HD feeds up to now. There would need to be a pretty large subscriber base to justify asking the networks to upgrade the finished product.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,427 Posts
T16 can easily handle all of 101 itself. It is currently handling 26 transponders, it can handle the other 6 when they drop the spot beams.
DIRECTV 16 has only 30 Ku CONUS transponders. I'm not seeing where DIRECTV 16 has any spot beam capacity. The spot beam load is being handled by DIRECTV 9S and it consists of 19 spot beams and that can't be handled by four CONUS transponders.
If they lose a satellite delivering MPEG2 SD locals they won't care.
These are some of the most hard core DIRECTV customers. It may also represent a big blow to many of the RV and marine customers that depend on Ku beamwidth.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,427 Posts
No it has 32.
Gunter's Space Page says it has 30. It appears I was using stale information. I understand that DIRECTV numbers them up to 32 but I'm not sure all of the Ku transponders can be used at once. Of course DIRECTV can't use more than 26 as DIRECTV 9S uses up the balance of their Ku license at 101W. This coddling of Ku-only receiver users runs a pretty good likelihood of being painful.
Yes T16 has no spotbeams, it needs none.
It doesn't need them because DIRECTV 9S is carrying that load. If 9S were to fail entirely, DIRECTV would lose the majority of their SD LIL channels. Moving what they could to DIRECTV 16 would only allow then to add back <10% of the lost channels.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,427 Posts
Of course it can use all 32 at once. It can use many more that, just not from 101 since they don't use its Ka or reverse band payloads at that location. Its twin T15 is broadcasting 24 Ka hi and 18 reverse band, nearly twice the bandwidth of the Ku band.
T15 is broadcasting only 11 Ka Hi CONUS and one Ka Lo CONUS. One has to wonder if they're fully powering the RB payload since it isn't being used.

Of course this is off topic for this thread but I thought I should present the latest TP map data since it differs from yours.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,427 Posts
Wow - $171.11 for DTV I thought My dish network bill of $103.89 was high
For those who have subscribed to (or have been gifted) NFL Season Ticket, it doesn't matter how DISH pricing compares if you don't have the NFLST option.

That will change in the 2023-4 season.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,427 Posts
If the rule applied DIRECTV could discount their own service, just not the NFL ST package.
That would be a huge slap in the face for the substantial majority of DIRECTV subscribers that don't opt for the NFLST package. There's always been a suspicion that all subscribers were subsidizing sports but this would be a "nuclear option".

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,427 Posts
Agree no NFL ST, no 4K sports (beyond fox events) and no RSNs on dish or a lot of OTT providers

DirecTV is the true winner for sports fans
The equation changes radically come the 2023-4 season. Not only with NFLST but perhaps also with the landscape of RSNs which seem to be getting less settled all the time.

Having NFLST include the TNF games seems unlikely even if Amazon is the winner unless there's a subtantial price bump for those who don't have Amazon Prime memberships.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,427 Posts
I just hope DIRECTV retains NFL Sunday Ticket in some sort of fashion.
It isn't up to DIRECTV since they have committed to not competing for the package going forward. DIRECTV is hopeful that they can carry the package but it's entirely up to "the winner" as to whether or not that's an option.

I suspect that it is less than likely given that AT&T almost certainly won't be footing the balance of the bill as they are currently. I'm also betting that DIRECTV doesn't really have a handle on how many subscribers are going to jump ship to some other MVPD (including DIRECTV Stream) absent the NFLST exclusive.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,427 Posts
Cant you say the same for kids programming?....Id say they split programming 1/3,1/3,1/3.
The number of hours of children's programming viewing is likely a whole lot more than those spent watching sports. Further, children seem undeterred by watching the same content over and over again.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,427 Posts
How do I replicate this with streaming?
That's a very good question and it will likely depend on who wins the bid.

My uninformed guess is that they'll keep the games around for a while (perhaps even the whole season) and you'll stream them as you would stream anything else.

I suspect the biggest issue that needs to be worked out is "game hopping" (something that I'm not at all convinced is unique to those who participate in sports betting) that has the potential to be a real pain compared to a local multi-tuner DVR.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,427 Posts
how superior will it be under the big load of an big Sunday load? or whats say you are on the same cable node as your local main street loaded with bars pulling 8+ feeds each?
Eight HD feeds weighs in at around 50Mbps. How many bars (or other hospitality venues) do you think you have sharing your network node?

Unless your talking the main drag (WWI Veterans Memorial Highway US395) in Wagontire, Oregon (population ~3), most main streets have sufficiently speedy broadband service to handle dozens (if not hundreds) of those kinds of loads.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,427 Posts
Problem is, to make up for the lost subsidization they need charge sports fans in the range of $30 to $40 a month if they made all their sports available live on ESPN+.
The real problem is that sports programming isn't carrying its weight. Whether it is league licensing fees or insane production costs or both, something's got to give.

1 - 20 of 104 Posts