DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Godfather
981 Posts
No I don’t have Amazon. I am talking about the Friday Night New York Yankees games that were moved to Amazon this season. I have seen where fans are pissed there because they can’t see Yankee games on YES. You probably get those Friday night games but on the opposition’s RSN. But in New York you have to have Amazon Prime to get those games. Fans have been tweeting they want them put back on YES because many don’t have Amazon Prime Streaming.
IIRC, Amazon bought a big piece of YES a few years ago. The fact is this is all about money...PERIOD! And you can be sure if they get away with 21 games next year it will be higher. Sports fans have been abused for years and as long as they keep paying, they'll continue to be abused. What YOU want and what I want are meaningless if enough people continue to pay.

·
Godfather
981 Posts
Good for your father-in-law. What the hell is Starlink? Never heard of that service before because there is no such service of that name in my area. As was said earlier different areas have different services. Different services have different speeds and prices. Fact!
Instead of looking silly you could have simply tried this: Starlink

·
Godfather
981 Posts
Any luck did ch 733 work ?
Its definitely NBC SN Philly

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
I'm in South Jersey, just outside of Philly. When we moved here from North Jersey, I was pleasantly surprised to find MSG and MSG+ as part of the package, but as already pointed out, any Sixer, Flyer or Philly game is blacked out on the sports packages in the 700s but MSG is never blacked out so if the Devils are playing the Flyers, the game is available.

The are other ways around it, too, such as using the NBC Sports app with a Comcast or Fios login. Why these blackouts are still a thing when getting around them is no more than an annoyance is really beyond me.

·
Godfather
981 Posts
I want D* to keep NFL ST too, mabye not exclusively, but I still perfer DirecTV over streaming crap .

Not everyone had a good reliable home ISP for all this streaming crap.
The fact that you don't want it or like doesn't make it crap! Most of the streaming services have better picture and sound quality than anything you'll get from any linear tv service.

·
Godfather
981 Posts
So if you had no choice but to sub to an ad-support version of any of these and there was content you wanted to watch...
We do have a choice and there is zero indication that we won't continue to. I get the Disney bundle as part of my Verizon Wireless plan, but I pay the extra $6/month for ad-free Hulu. I pay the higher fees for HBO and Paramount + as well. It's worth it to me and I assume millions of others.

Streaming is all about choice. I fully expect more choices in the future, not less.

·
Godfather
981 Posts
Oh, there's plenty of indication, it just hasn't happened yet. When the price starts to get too high for people to support ad-free, and subscriptions drop to the point it's not in their best interests to continue with it, they will drop it, despite everyone here complaining and saying it will never happen. I'm sure the horse and buggy folks felt that their businesses were safe with the invention of those automobiles too. Just keep watching the prices on all these systems rise and, in this economy, there will be a breaking point for a lot of people. It's just simple economics. It might not happen soon, it might not happen in 5 years (though i think it will), but it will happen. Sorry for you though, you'll have nothing to watch.
What are you even talking about here? This is not an either-or situation. While there is no way for linear tv to offer the same customized options that streaming has, it costs virtually nothing for streaming services to maintain ad-free and ad-supported models. Secondly, if there was something I wanted to see and I had to deal with ads I would, so where do you come off telling me I'll have nothing to watch?

·
Godfather
981 Posts
Netflix is the only service charging extra for 4K, which is the reason for that $20 monthly charge. I really don't see enough difference to make it worth paying extra for 4k, which is why I'm paying $15.47 per month for Netflix, in line with what HBO Max charges. When I watch 4k programming on Amazon or HBO Max, I can't tell it's 4k unless I get close to the screen. When I watched a 4k movie in my Vudu collection last week, I tried switching back and forth between HDX and UHD, and HDX actually looked better. I will gladly pay a few extra bucks for ad-free programming, but I would not pay extra for 4k.
The big difference is HDR. If you have a smaller TV (under 55") and it's not HDR compatible, you probably wouldn't notice. BUT...4K Dolby Vision on a 75" TV is certainly noticeable.

·
Godfather
981 Posts
We have 2 sony x900h 85 inch sets and the 4k hdr and Dolby vision is jaw dropping... it's like there in the room with us!!! And it upconverts hd very nicely as well it looks almost as good as 4k🙂
Right. Until you've experienced PQ like that in your own living room, it's kind of hard to imagine. Beyond the biggest blockbusters, I have no desire to go to a theater anymore. Streaming from the top services with Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos make the term home theater true.

·
Godfather
981 Posts
Believe me I want to burn this docsis cable to the hell hole it came from.... but its the only "broadband " option available smh .

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Nobody is saying it doesn't suck, but you are in the clear minority these days. I'm sorry to tell you this, but nobody that can do anything about it cares. People with crap broadband are simply not the target market for streamers. And BTW, stop with "docsis" crap. It's not impressing anyone and makes you look silly.

·
Godfather
981 Posts
Bingo, it's all about content. So if the content is there, you'd watch ads. Exactly my point, and the streamers know that. Hence, why they might get rid of ad-free if they can make MUCH more selling ads.

On your first point, if NOT selling you an-ad tier costs them money (in lost revenue from ads), they can do one of two things. Charge more for ad-free to make up for that (the current model), or they can get rid of the ad-free tier, which is what I think will happen. Why? Because the more ad-supported users they have, the more they can charge advertisers, and if that number makes it more profitable to sell an ad-supported tier, that's what they will do. That's why I keep asking (though nobody is responding), how much would you pay to for an ad-free tier? What if that $20 cost for the top level Netflix was now $30? Or $40? How much is it worth to you? And as the price goes up, there will be some who decide it's not worth it. And there just might not be enough users to make it worth it for them to maintain it.
You are a master of hypotheticals. There is zero evidence to support one iota of what you are predicting.

Again, this is not an either-or situation. This is internet streaming, not linear tv. Providing both ad-free and ad-supported versions costs providers nothing. The account gets flagged and that's that.

·
Godfather
981 Posts
Of course you either didn't read one iota of what I wrote, or you chose to ignore it. I give up, you keep holding out hope that things remain as they are. If this was the 1920s, you'd still be holding out hope that people would still want to ride horses and those darn cars would go away. The market will decide where this goes and again, if ad revenue trumps the price they can get for selling more ads, the ad-free tier will go the way of the horse and buggy. If I'm wrong, I hope you enjoy your $100 a month ad free tier. Not ONE of you who don't think it's going away have given me the maximum you'd pay to forego ads. There has to be a price point right? I wonder how soon it will be before the streamers find that price point?

Come on, tell me how much would you pay?
More silly hypotheticals. If it happens, I'll address it.

Now for my question, since you're so insistent that ad-free is going to disappear...how much advertising would you tolerate?

The current network standard is about 17 minutes per hour. Would you tolerate 20? 30? 40? Would you be okay with what is now a one hour show being stretched to three hours as you're pummeled with commercials?

Do you see how stupid this sounds after spewing some silly "$100 a month ad free tier."

·
Godfather
981 Posts
Agreed. Right now Hulu makes more per subscriber for ad-supported than for ad-free but they know if they eliminate ad-free they will be making $0 for the majority of those ad-free subscribers. They figure it is better to make a little less for those subscribers than to lose them altogether.
Speaking of Hulu, they just raised their price but left the ad-free rate $6.00 above the ad-supported tier. There is a huge overestimate by some as to what pushing ads is worth. It's maybe pennies per user. I'm willing to bet dollars to donuts that Hulu (and every other streamer with ad-free and ad-supported) is making more on ad-free subs and if they're going to push anyone, it would be the ad-supported subs by sneaking in an additional ad per hour and then another and then another until the complaints start coming in.

·
Godfather
981 Posts
Again, I could be TOTALLY wrong, but I doubt it.
You are wrong! This doesn't get done on math alone. And your use of live sports as an example is just plain disingenuous. Live sports lends itself to advertising and is built into the actual competition (soccer being the sole exception). Honestly, I don't even understand your fascination with the whole thing.

You continue to insist that this is an either/or situation. It is not now and there is no reason to believe that it ever will be! Your entire argument actually points to why it won't happen. It's too easy now to target individuals happy to get ads. They know they can get rid of them if they want to but they're willing to pay with their time to have them fed to them. Others are happy to pay to not see them. The key here is everyone is happy.

You don't just dump a premium service and assume that those people are going to stick around so you have to calculate how many subs will be lost. It is never worth the cost of pissing off paying customers!

·
Godfather
981 Posts
I will give up the package. For the record I have paid for NFL Sunday Ticket every year since I have had DIRECTV that’s since 1997. This is the only year I won’t have to pay for the NFL Sunday Ticket because they’re giving it to me free this year (Loyalty Gift) When the NFL moves to all streaming i’m finished trying to watch my favorite out of market team. I will just get the score from my phone. I won’t switch to streaming. Won’t do it. When all programming moves to streaming, I’ll dust off my old radio & go back to listening to radio before i’ll stream. I refuse to pay $300 a season to try to watch an NFL game that buffers every 15 seconds, starts & stops & jumps back to LIVE action all because internet speeds in my area are BAD.
As pointed out to you before, your issue is with your internet provider...PERIOD. Progress isn't going to stop just because you want it to.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts