DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,448 Posts
Agreed. And actually having a TV that displays HDR correctly. A 250 dollar Walmart special that supports HDR is going to have nowhere the color gamut of a high end TV
Yup. When it comes to picture quality it's all about the TV's processor. High end TVs have a much better processor than bargain sets.

·
Premium Member
11,448 Posts
Ill-used by whom? I can see being disenfranchised because that's literally what is happening.

If anyone should feel Ill-used, it would be those who recognize that the pricing of the streaming NFLST product has little to do with the cost of providing the service and is mostly a function of what the market will bear.
When the well dries up the discount mongers always feel ill used.

·
Premium Member
11,448 Posts
Or they just move on, recognizing that Directv is selling a commodity, with plenty of competitors. You can continue to subscribe and pay full price because Directv said so......others who care about their own financial self interest will negotiate an arm's length business transaction, or move to a competitor.
If they care so much about their financial self-interest why do they subscribe to something they can't afford in the first place? Expecting endless wall to wall discounts is ridiculous and behaving like a woman scorned when the discount well dries up is ludicrous.

·
Premium Member
11,448 Posts
The major cost of providing the service is paying the NFL for the rights to provide the service. DIRECTV had the benefit of covering any "losses" from not collecting the $1.5 billion fee from subscribers with the profits they made by retaining subscribers. The pricing of the DIRECTV service did not have to collect the fee paid to the NFL plus whatever other costs DIRECTV had in delivering the content. The pricing of the streaming service will have to cover the NFL payment and the costs of delivery. Most likely that streaming service will not be able to require purchase of a high profit content package to get NFL ST the way DIRECTV remained profitable by requiring an additional purchase.

They feel ill used when they get a $55 discount per month instead of $60 per month. I am sure subscribers will be mad at DIRECTV when they can't get free NFL ST next year. They will probably be more mad when they have to subscribe separately to get NFL ST.

I do not agree with the logic of expanding free access to NFL ST in this final year. DIRECTV is setting themselves up for millions more unsatisfied customers in 2023. They might get away with expanded free access if they would make it clear that this is the final season. "Enjoy the last season of NFL ST on DIRECTV at our expense." But announcing the end of the service would affect new customer sign ups.

Should we consider the new customer offers that include free NFL ST as being misleading since they do not reveal that NFL ST will be leaving DIRECTV before the end of the two year contract? Or is DIRECTV still holding out hope that they will be able to offer NFL ST as a secondary or one of many delivery options? I suppose until the 2023 contract is signed DIRECTV isn't being too deceptive.

The trouble is that DIRECTV has fed the wall to wall discount machine for many years. First year subscribers don't have to pay full price and DIRECTV has had the nasty habit of extending discounts year after year. Annual price increases have not helped the issue .. people paying up to $50 more per month than they did five years ago (not counting expired first year discounts)? When they subscribed it was an offer they could afford. The offer has changed.

·
Premium Member
11,448 Posts
Who says they cannot afford it? You are the one who trumpets paying full asking price. I'd look at thyself and foolish financial stewardship, rather than at others.
Watch my fingers, I'm going to type slow for you. There's nothing wrong with asking for a discount. It's the greedy "discount mongers" I dislike. They think they're "entitled" to endless huge wall to wall discounts and then come here and behave like a woman scorned when the discount well dries up. That's ludicrous! As for myself, I have deep pockets and can well afford what you call my foolish financial stewardship. :D

·
Premium Member
11,448 Posts
I assume you have an arbitrary line where a certain level of discount is acceptable to request and any more is "mongering"? Not sure why you have to insult women in your responses.

DIRECTV has made the requested discount part of their pricing structure. I would agree that $50-$60 off a monthly bill is ridiculous, but DIRECTV has a long running company habit of giving that level of discount. DIRECTV has a reputation as being the "will haggle" provider. One might get $10-$20 off with another provider (usually tied to renewing a commitment or something that saves the company money such as paperless billing and auto-pay). $50-$60 off just illustrates how much "wiggle room" there is in DIRECTV pricing.

I'd like to see what DIRECTV could do with "no haggle pricing". They could probably forgo an annual price increase one year if they stopped doing the deep discounts for certain customers. But the price sensitive subscribers would probably want the discounts they are getting today. Moving to "no haggle" after so many years of offering deep discounts would take a lot of PR to sell the concept to customers.
Get real Jim. We both know I have never bowed to political correctness nor will I ever. There's a phrase, "Hell has no fury like a woman scorned". And that's exactly how the "discount mongers" behave when they come here and complain. They say things like "For two years DIRECTV gave me $80.00 off my bill plus free Sunday Ticket. Now they're telling me the best they can do is $60.00 off my bill and no free Sunday Ticket" then rant like they're the injured party. Like I said, they think they're "entitled" to endless huge wall to wall discounts.

·
Premium Member
11,448 Posts

I have no problem paying full price. Most everything I get I pay full price for.

I have a problem overpaying for something. I kept DirecTV for about 6 months after losing a $75 a month discount. My bill without it was about $150 with the middle package, receivers, and fees. It was a no brainer to cancel DirecTV and go to the $40 a month DirecTV Now package with all the channels we watched. Heck, they gave me an Apple TV for buying a 3 month package.

I guess I was ‘scorned.’ If that’s what you want to call it. I guess I was entitled to save money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you believe you were over paying then you did what was best for you and there is nothing wrong with that. That said, if you think a DIRECTV package is overpriced then you should have never subscribed to it in the first place. ;)

·
Premium Member
11,448 Posts
I think the only reason people feel "scorned" is because the way they give out discounts is pretty much helter skelter. One person in the discount thread might claim they got a $90 per month discount and others may be offered a $20 discount or nothing. They call them "loyalty" discounts but they pretty much have nothing to do with a persons "loyalty" to DirecTV. It seems to just be the luck of the draw so people may vent when they get less or nothing while others are getting large discounts. It's human nature.
What you post is true. But something offered is better than nothing offered and to that I say "Never look a gift horse in the mouth"!

·
Premium Member
11,448 Posts
i do paid for Prime.. consequently i shouldn't see any commercials.. ( fat chance ) and have a HD quality picture.. I paid my good money.. YOU HAVE IT.. give me what I paid for.. and don't say well its this or that .. and don't show that you are drinking the Kool aide.. by justifying the poor quality.. I PAID YOU.. CASH.. give me the quality that i expect.. and I thought that DIRECTV was supposed to show the Thursday night games.. that was the agreement.. Where was my game on DIRECTV.. ? again I am paying for both.. cash.. my bills with you are paid.. give me what you say that you will. its like paying for a 15 gallons of gas and only getting 12.. I paid for all of it..
For the past "twelve" years you have complained about your service providers yet you stay with them. You might want to consider using an OTA antenna for your TV service. It's free and should give you a lot less to complain about.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts