DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,368 Posts
and how fast will CBS and FOX sue if this new provider really messed up the black outs or they just put there hands up and said black outs are to hard so there will be none.
I doubt blackouts will be left up to the service that land ST. Blackouts are from the league and the new service can't just ignore them.

·
Premium Member
3,368 Posts
It's so funny how you all think that these streamers have gone into this blind with no plan, no infrastructure and you think that DirecTV is the ONLY one who could handle it. ESPN has been streaming multiple games for years as has MLB, and others. It's doable, it's not going to be the issue you all think it will be. You just want status quo because it benefits you. This actually opens it up to more subscribers, which is the goal of the NFL anyway and fans should applaud it, especially those who could never get line of sight for satellite (of course there are places without bandwidth too).
Agree. There may be some glitches but they will fix them. It is not rocket science.

·
Premium Member
3,368 Posts
UP TO 100Mbps not all area have the same backhaul and rural areas? also what is the high speed cap on that 5G?
it can be as low as 50GB and that will not last to long with 4+ streams.
I have T-Mobile 5G Home Internet. I live 75 miles from a major city (St. Louis). My internet speeds are pretty solid at 400 mbps down and 100 mbps up in this rural area. Plus it has unlimited data for $50.00 per month. T-Mobile 5G pretty much covers the entire continental USA.

Map Ecoregion World Font Atlas

Even in the heart of Norfolk VA folks choose Hughes Net over docsis ... its that bad ...
T-Mobile 5G Home Internet is available in Norfolk, VA.

You can check availability at your specific address here: T-Mobile 5G Home Internet

They have a free 15 day trial if it is available at your specific address.

Norfolk, VA coverage map:

Map World Purple Pink Font

·
Premium Member
3,368 Posts
We like to record several ST games on our Directv DVR's, then watch them later. How would we be able to do this using a streaming service?
Well no one can say for certain how it will go but on Peacock and Apple TV with MLB you can go back for a about a week and watch the Apple TV+ Friday night game and the Sunday morning Peacock games have several games you can go back and watch from earlier this season.

·
Premium Member
3,368 Posts
There is no way the NFL could be allowed to go to an all streaming service.
Whom, in your opinion, is going to stop them?

And they aren't going to an all streaming service. You will still get your local games on Sunday, the Sunday night game, the Monday night game and the Thursday night games if you are in one of the teams home market via the same method you have always used. NFL Sunday Ticket has always been a choice. It still is. If you don't want to stream it or can't you don't. Sunday Ticket was locked out of many peoples grasp while it was on DirecTV. Either they suscribed to DirecTV or they chose not to. This is no different.

·
Premium Member
3,368 Posts
Actually no I have no answer. But mark it down it will hurt out of market fans who want to see their favorite teams & an the NFL will get an indication of this starting on Thursday Nights this year when Thursday Night Games move to Amazon. I already know I will miss a game this year of my favorite team because they have a Thursday Night Game & I don’t live in the teams market for local carriage.
You have a choice to see the Thursday games that are out if your area. Subscribe to Amazon Prime. Just like in years past people had a choice. Subscribe to DIRECTV as long as they could get a sat signal.

·
Premium Member
3,368 Posts
If NFL picks YouTube TV for streaming, I would expect viewers will be able to DVR any games and keep them for nine months.
Is Google (Youtube TV) even bidding on Sunday Ticket? The main players seem to just be Apple, Disney, and Amazon. I've heard nothing of Google being interested.

·
Premium Member
3,368 Posts
But you aren't getting my point. We have FOUR out of market teams we follow. Even with a DVR and fast forwarding through commercials, it takes all of Sunday to watch all four games. But if I'm forced to watch them all WITH commercials, I may have to wait until Monday for one or two or give up one of my teams. That's not an improvement IMHO...
Right now no one knows how it will work but as an example on MLB-TV streaming when you go to watch a game that is already in progress it give you the choice to either watch LIVE or start from the beginning. So that technology is there. I'm not 100% sure but I think on those MLB games if you start at the beginning of game that is already in progress that you can skip through commercials until you reach the point where you are watching the live broadcast. I'll check it later today to be sure.

·
Premium Member
3,368 Posts
I remember the days when there was only 50 games on broadcast TV and you had to subscribe to cable to get the rest.
I remember when there was only one game a week on TV. Saturday's Game of the Week. That was it. One game. Two teams. The whole broadcast schedule for all of MLB. We survived somehow. :)

·
Premium Member
3,368 Posts
do you get to watch all these teams without buying extra innings.. because i am 135 miles from Minneapolis and CANNOT GET BOTH.. i get the brewers but not the twins..
I am not in that area. The only team in my area is STL so I can get every team on MLB-TV except the Cardinals and whatever team they are playing.

·
Premium Member
3,368 Posts
In the late 1990s and early 2000s with the dawn of the DVR, to me, TV became perfect. No longer are you forced to watch ads, you can skip them. You can watch on your own schedule and you can save shows until you can actually watch them. But you knew eventually they'd figure out a way to force us to watch ads again. Advertisers weren't going to pay if we were to just skip their ads. It took about 10 years until they figured out that they could prevent you from skipping ads on OnDemad. That was so frustrating and only used as a last resort for me. But streaming is a new frontier. Once they figured out how to make ads work, they also figured out that they can prevent you from skipping them. And they offer much cheaper packages couched in the "ad supported" moniker. And you know what? People are subscribing, and that's why Netflix is going to that model too. As I said, eventually they are going to "realized" (perhaps make this up), that they can just sunset the "premium packages" and force you to pay for ads on every tier. If the content is good enough, people won't care. So now they have their sweet spot, people PAYING for the privileged of watching ads. The whole point of "free" OTA TV was that you get to watch for free, and we show you ads to make money. Somehow that dynamic changed with cable, where you PAY to watch our content AND our ads (and even MORE ads that OTA, there's a reason why Friends is 35 minutes on Nick at Night). And now with streaming....we can make you pay for OD content AND watch ads, which you can't even skip. And while now there are maybe a couple of minutes of ads, eventually that will become just like cable, where you'll have 4 minutes of ads per break as well. Congratulations folks, we've gone full circle, we are back to TV as we knew it in the 1970s.
That is why I keep my phone next to the TV remote. Something to read while the ads are playing. :)

·
Premium Member
3,368 Posts
Wake up DIRECTV and retain Sunday Ticket for christs sakes.
Wake up? DIRECTV had an exclusive on NFL ST for years and always lost money. If all 2 million subscribers actually paid the $300 for it that only brings in $600 million dollars. I doubt the commercial carriage brought them close to breaking even at $1.5 billion. Do you think if DIRECTV wakes up they will suddenly magically sell 10 million subscriptions to break even at the rumored $3 billion price tag the NFL wants? But you think they should do it just for you? Good luck staring at that blank wall on Sunday afternoons.

·
Premium Member
3,368 Posts
Hulu's advertising revenue has skyrocketed. At some point, it's going to be worth it to just get rid of the ad-free plan if they can guarantee more eyeballs to advertisers.
Well some people will not subscribe to an ad-supported service. If they do away with their ad-free plan they are also getting rid of a customer. I have a Hulu ad supported plan that I got on Black Friday for $0.99 per month. I am only on that plan because I don't watch much stuff on Hulu so what I do watch I sit through commercials usually reading on my phone. If I did I watch more Hulu I would be on the ad-free plan or nothing. If they raise that price to an unreasonable number they would lose me as a customer and not gain me as an ad supported customer. I do use the ad-free option on both Paramount+ and Peacock. And if they do away with an ad-free plan or price it unreasonably I would be gone from them as well.

I also dumped the $19.99 per month cost of Netflix too. They keep inviting me back but with no incentive. No thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,368 Posts
So if you had no choice but to sub to an ad-support version of any of these and there was content you wanted to watch, you STILL wouldn't subscribe? Or, if the ad-free version was VERY expensive, you wouldn't bother? That what I'm saying, my opinion, based on the way cable TV went from the early days to now is that eventually all but the most premium content will be ad supported, potentially without the ability to avoid ads.

I hate ads too, but if I were in the business of streaming and I could make more money charging less for ad-support than I could offering an ad-free version, I'd cut all of you ad-free people lose in a hot second. It's possible I might lose some subs, but it's also possible that the majority would take the savings and be fine with it.
Well I don't actively watch anything that I have to watch ads on unless it is only on the $0.99 Hulu option and the only reason I have that is because of the price of it.

Well if they have 5 million ad-supported subscribers and 1 milion ad-free subscribers I don't see how they are going to make more money with 5 million total subscribers. They won't. They will make less. Most people that have ad-free is because they don't want to watch ads so you really think they would stick around for the ad-supported plan. I know I would not.

·
Premium Member
3,368 Posts
The bid is for sole rights to broadcast out-of-market games. That DIRECTV thinks they can shirt-tail off of this seems likely a pipe dream.
Agreed. How many other services did DIRECTV let shirt-tail off of their exclusive content. ZERO! The service that gets it will be paying top dollar for what they end paying for EXCLUSIVE content. If it wasn't exclusive to their service they wouldn't be paying that amount.

·
Premium Member
3,368 Posts
But like you said you wouldn't be able to pause one game, switch to another and then back to the first game without missing the action for that time.
It would be very possible for them to give you the option when you switch back to the first game to let you resume where you stopped or go to live. MLB-TV has that option now. But no one knows yet what the provider is going to allow.

·
Premium Member
3,368 Posts
People are leaving Netflix because of the loss of content from major studios along with their high price. Netflix did get good news today. They were expecting to lose 2 million subscribers in the second quarter but they only lost 979,000.

Also I have seen no evidence of people returning to linear TV . They are still hemmoraging subscribers every quarter.

1 - 20 of 117 Posts