DBSTalk Forum banner
501 - 520 of 993 Posts

·
Godfather
953 Posts
I will give up the package. For the record I have paid for NFL Sunday Ticket every year since I have had DIRECTV that’s since 1997. This is the only year I won’t have to pay for the NFL Sunday Ticket because they’re giving it to me free this year (Loyalty Gift) When the NFL moves to all streaming i’m finished trying to watch my favorite out of market team. I will just get the score from my phone. I won’t switch to streaming. Won’t do it. When all programming moves to streaming, I’ll dust off my old radio & go back to listening to radio before i’ll stream. I refuse to pay $300 a season to try to watch an NFL game that buffers every 15 seconds, starts & stops & jumps back to LIVE action all because internet speeds in my area are BAD.
As pointed out to you before, your issue is with your internet provider...PERIOD. Progress isn't going to stop just because you want it to.

·
Premium Member
11,446 Posts
The major cost of providing the service is paying the NFL for the rights to provide the service. DIRECTV had the benefit of covering any "losses" from not collecting the $1.5 billion fee from subscribers with the profits they made by retaining subscribers. The pricing of the DIRECTV service did not have to collect the fee paid to the NFL plus whatever other costs DIRECTV had in delivering the content. The pricing of the streaming service will have to cover the NFL payment and the costs of delivery. Most likely that streaming service will not be able to require purchase of a high profit content package to get NFL ST the way DIRECTV remained profitable by requiring an additional purchase.

They feel ill used when they get a $55 discount per month instead of $60 per month. I am sure subscribers will be mad at DIRECTV when they can't get free NFL ST next year. They will probably be more mad when they have to subscribe separately to get NFL ST.

I do not agree with the logic of expanding free access to NFL ST in this final year. DIRECTV is setting themselves up for millions more unsatisfied customers in 2023. They might get away with expanded free access if they would make it clear that this is the final season. "Enjoy the last season of NFL ST on DIRECTV at our expense." But announcing the end of the service would affect new customer sign ups.

Should we consider the new customer offers that include free NFL ST as being misleading since they do not reveal that NFL ST will be leaving DIRECTV before the end of the two year contract? Or is DIRECTV still holding out hope that they will be able to offer NFL ST as a secondary or one of many delivery options? I suppose until the 2023 contract is signed DIRECTV isn't being too deceptive.

The trouble is that DIRECTV has fed the wall to wall discount machine for many years. First year subscribers don't have to pay full price and DIRECTV has had the nasty habit of extending discounts year after year. Annual price increases have not helped the issue .. people paying up to $50 more per month than they did five years ago (not counting expired first year discounts)? When they subscribed it was an offer they could afford. The offer has changed.

·
Godfather
855 Posts
Or they just move on, recognizing that Directv is selling a commodity, with plenty of competitors. You can continue to subscribe and pay full price because Directv said so......others who care about their own financial self interest will negotiate an arm's length business transaction, or move to a competitor.
Inertia is a powerful thing… we see it at play here. There is a strong unwillingness to try something different, even if it costs less, and is roughly equivalent. Apparently, money is not a big enough force to overcome it.

They feel ill used when they get a $55 discount per month instead of $60 per month.
For me, losing a discount and the price doubling was enough to drive me away. $60 a month discount keeps them competitive with the likes of YouTube TV. At least close enough that inertia is an impediment to switching.

When the offer changes and becomes unaffordable they need to tighten their belts!
What does affordability have to do with anything? Just because I can afford something doesn’t obligate me to buy it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,367 Posts
I really doubt if anyone is subscribing to DirecTV that can't afford it without discounts. But if you can get a discount why not get it? I think the only time people get upset is when they see other people getting huge discounts and they get offered nothing. Human nature in that reaction. As far as this thread and NFL Sunday Ticket I have had DirecTV since the mid 90's and have never paid for it but I have gotten it free several times without even asking for it. Last year was the first time I asked if there were any promotions for it and was told there were no offers to get it free but they could give me $16.50 off for 6 months and $25 off for 12 months. Total of $399 which paid for NFL Sunday Ticket Max. I asked again this year and got it free. Just because I asked for it doesn't mean I couldn't afford it. Like I said I have never bought it for full price out of my own pocket and I won't next year either for whomever has it if it is at or above the current price. I like football but not that much. My hope is I can get Redzone stand alone next year. If DirecTV had offered Redzone as a stand alone purchase I would have gladly paid for it all these years. If the new provider doesn't offer Redzone stand alone they won't get my money for any football. Not because i can't afford it. Because to me...it is not worth that price. But hey...if I can get it free why not?

·
Icon
2,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #508 ·
If there weren't ads between innings, the announcers would spend the time jabbering with each other and doing interviews, which is just as annoying as ads.
So your fine with ads? How about that? :)

The point is, once upon a time there was no ads, now there are. Things change. Just because YOU don't want it to happen, doesn't mean it won't. Just because it's NOT that way now, doesn't mean it won't be that way in the future. Again, I'm speculating, we all are, but I've seen time and time again, in places where there were no ads, now there are, and in most of those cases we weren't given a choice. Why? Because the money that comes from ads is HUGE. And no matter how much you pay to get no ads, it might still be worth it to forego that tier. Someone (maybe you) mentioned that you don't want to upset customers. Well, first, the majority of your customers don't appear to care about getting ads for many of these streamers, like Hulu. Second, as I said, a good portion of customers might buy the ad tier if the content they want to watch is still there (if for example you were a fan of Star Trek on P+ and suddenly there wasn't an ad free option, what would you do? Would you suck it up and watch the ads or, cut the service? I'd bet the former, knowing the Trekkies I know). So yea, you might p**s off a few customers. Maybe you are the exception who would refuse to pay anything to watch ads if there's a choice.

And lastly, if my speculation annoys you, simply stop responding and the discussion dies on the vine.

·
Icon
2,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #509 · (Edited)
It’s a natural break in the game. In stadium, it’s filled with things like mascot contests, fan dance or kiss cams, etc.

What annoying is when these natural breaks are preternaturally expanded to unreasonable length, like taking 3 minutes of ads every change in possession in football.

What's MORE annoying is how they've now found other natural breaks in the game, like between pitches in MLB, or between plays in the NFL to throw those advertisements at you. That's my point about advertising money, companies will find ANY chance they get to advertise to you. Companies like Netflix and so forth started when there was no easy way to insert ads into programming, now it's easy and ubiquitous. But it will, as always come down to revenue. As long as they can make more money selling you an ad free tier than they could getting rid of the tier, to sell you ads, they will continue to do that. I agree. We'll see how long that lasts.

·
Godfather
855 Posts
What's MORE annoying is how they've now found other natural breaks in the game, like between pitches in MLB, or between plays in the NFL to throw those advertisements at you. That's my point about advertising money, companies will find ANY chance they get to advertise to you. Companies like Netflix and so forth started when there was no easy way to insert ads into programming, now it's easy and ubiquitous. But it will, as always come down to revenue. As long as they can make more money selling you an ad free tier than they could getting rid of the tier, to sell you ads, they will continue to do that. I agree. We'll see how long that lasts.
2-1 pitch brought to you by Jim’s service station, 12th and Main! Best sushi in town!

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,427 Posts
The trouble is that DIRECTV has fed the wall to wall discount machine for many years. First year subscribers don't have to pay full price and DIRECTV has had the nasty habit of extending discounts year after year.
While the discount seekers aren't legion, DIRECTV could certainly have offered more reasonable pricing to everyone if they didn't feel the need to accommodate the hagglers. Given all the reports of repeated calls and chats in the discounts thread, that's a lot of Customer Service hours burned only to give away profit. Sure, some will report that they are happier but what are the chances that they're the ones that are surveyed about customer satisfaction?

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,427 Posts
like between pitches in MLB, or between plays in the NFL to throw those advertisements at you.
From the fan's standpoint, the leagues all need to make bold moves to address this. MLB is kind of in baby steps here.

From the network's standpoint, long games are cheap footage and if they can slip in some quick ads, more the better.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
So your fine with ads? How about that? :)

The point is, once upon a time there was no ads, now there are. Things change. Just because YOU don't want it to happen, doesn't mean it won't. Just because it's NOT that way now, doesn't mean it won't be that way in the future. Again, I'm speculating, we all are, but I've seen time and time again, in places where there were no ads, now there are, and in most of those cases we weren't given a choice. Why? Because the money that comes from ads is HUGE. And no matter how much you pay to get no ads, it might still be worth it to forego that tier. Someone (maybe you) mentioned that you don't want to upset customers. Well, first, the majority of your customers don't appear to care about getting ads for many of these streamers, like Hulu. Second, as I said, a good portion of customers might buy the ad tier if the content they want to watch is still there (if for example you were a fan of Star Trek on P+ and suddenly there wasn't an ad free option, what would you do? Would you suck it up and watch the ads or, cut the service? I'd bet the former, knowing the Trekkies I know). So yea, you might p**s off a few customers. Maybe you are the exception who would refuse to pay anything to watch ads if there's a choice.

And lastly, if my speculation annoys you, simply stop responding and the discussion dies on the vine.
As I (and a number of others) have already tried explaining to you, live sports have natural breaks in the action and are in no way similar to scripted programming. And no, ad-free tiers are not going away, because the streaming companies are not going to do anything that will cause them to lose paying customers.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
From the fan's standpoint, the leagues all need to make bold moves to address this. MLB is kind of in baby steps here.

From the network's standpoint, long games are cheap footage and if they can slip in some quick ads, more the better.
Both baseball and football (probably other sports as well) have been doing that for at least a couple of years. They shrink the picture for 30 seconds during a mound visit or other short break in the action and show an ad. That's my queue to hit the 30-second skip without missing any of the action. Or if I'm caught up on the game, I just hit the pause button while I get a cup of coffee, then hit the 30-second skip when I get back.

·
Super Moderator
53,879 Posts
So, people should subscribe to a DIRECTV package they can't afford and expect endless wall to wall discounts? That's ridiculous!
I am talking about subscribers who made the decision to subscribe to a package they could afford (especially with 1st year discounts). Over time the price changed.

I'm not sure why you assume that the people wanting a discount can't afford the service at the price they agreed to. I can afford a lot of things that I am certainly not going to pay full price for unless there is no other option. Can pay and will pay are different concepts.

And for those who are struggling due to DIRECTV changing the price from something the customer can afford guess what happens when the customer calls in to reduce their services or cancel? Often DIRECTV shows mercy and offers a huge discount. Is it the customer's fault that DIRECTV has retention willing to give the discounts?

Of course most people here said...there's NO WAY that ST was leaving DirecTV, yet here we are....
"Most" is an overstatement ... although if you were listening to fan boys one might believe that DIRECTV will still somehow renew carriage of the service. Not for the price the NFL wants. The best hope for the fan boys that need NFL ST on DIRECTV to survive is that all other deals fall through and the NFL decides to market via multiple companies.

·
Super Moderator
53,879 Posts
From John Ourand of the SBJ on Twitter:
"Amazon is close to a deal to let DirecTV carry "NFL Thursday Night Football" to bars and restaurants this season."
Hope for commercial subscribers.

·
Mentor
553 Posts
From John Ourand of the SBJ on Twitter:

"Amazon is close to a deal to let DirecTV carry "NFL Thursday Night Football" to bars and restaurants this season."
"Hello, I'd like to open a business account with DIRECTV."
"Okay, what's the name of your establishment?"
"It's, ummm.....it's a bar. It's called...ummm....The Garage. A real down home, blue collar place. Really small place."
"Sounds fun! What's your maximum seating capacity?"
Counts seats on the garage couch and workbench chair. "Uhhhh....four. Four seats."

·
Hall Of Fame
5,476 Posts
"Hello, I'd like to open a business account with DIRECTV."
"Okay, what's the name of your establishment?"
"It's, ummm.....it's a bar. It's called...ummm....The Garage. A real down home, blue collar place. Really small place."
"Sounds fun! What's your maximum seating capacity?"
Counts seats on the garage couch and workbench chair. "Uhhhh....four. Four seats."
Or just get an canadian satellite system and get International Series games ,THURSDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL , (alot of Sunday ticket games on the time shifting / USA channels)

501 - 520 of 993 Posts