DBSTalk Forum banner
521 - 540 of 1258 Posts

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
As pointed out to you before, your issue is with your internet provider...PERIOD. Progress isn't going to stop just because you want it to.
To me taking NFL games off of television to move to an internet streaming service isn’t "progress" at all. All you pro streamers will find out that the NFL is making a foolish mistake by moving the "out of market" NFL Sunday Ticket package to streaming. Now if the deal is an exclusive one where the option to view NFL out of market games is only streaming there will be a lot of good folks who will not ever be able to see their favorite team anymore. If they open it up where other providers can access the package well then that’s giving people a choice & that choice should be available. There are still too many people not set up to stream.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
The NFL & Roger Goodell better re-think this whole move to streaming. The NFL Sunday Ticket needs to somehow stay with DIRECTV. It’s a ridiculous business move. Open up Sunday Ticket to people who want to stream, leave it on DIRECTV for people who have it that rely on it.

·
Premium Member
3,723 Posts
To me taking NFL games off of television to move to an internet streaming service isn’t "progress" at all. All you pro streamers will find out that the NFL is making a foolish mistake by moving the "out of market" NFL Sunday Ticket package to streaming. Now if the deal is an exclusive one where the option to view NFL out of market games is only streaming there will be a lot of good folks who will not ever be able to see their favorite team anymore. If they open it up where other providers can access the package well then that’s giving people a choice & that choice should be available. There are still too many people not set up to stream.
The NFL & Roger Goodell better re-think this whole move to streaming. The NFL Sunday Ticket needs to somehow stay with DIRECTV. It’s a ridiculous business move. Open up Sunday Ticket to people who want to stream, leave it on DIRECTV for people who have it that rely on it.
Good God man....do you know how many good folks were never able to see their favorite team out of market when NFL ST was only available through DirecTV? There will literally be millions more now that can see their favorite team out of market. Your only problem is that YOU don't have good enough internet and YOU only want the games on DirecTV. It's all about YOU YOU YOU!

And It’s NOT a ridiculous business move. The business needs to make money. Millions of more eyeballs watching Sunday Ticket means a lot more money for the NFL. And if someone pays $3 billion for exclusive Sunday Ticket what makes you think that streamer wants to share it with DirecTV? Then it would not be exclusive which is what they will be paying for.

Don't get me wrong...I am not against DirecTV having NFL Sunday Ticket. I have DirecTV. But I'm not blind to streaming. It works. And it works well. And I won't be buying NFL ST to stream when it moves. It is just over for DirecTV after this year. Learn to live with it.

·
Godfather
967 Posts
There are literally hundreds of millions of people that don't have Directv that do have stable, reliable internet that will be able to watch games via Sunday Ticket. I'm truly sorry that you're not one of them but that's what happens with progress. Some get left behind.

·
Godfather
967 Posts
Or what? Are you going to write a strongly worded letter? I've been listening to cable subscribers cry about this exclusive for decades. People with no LOS or that lived in an apartment that couldn't get Sunday Ticket but I'm sure you were okay with that, right?

The NFL didn't care then and still doesn't. It is well aware that whatever deal they make will leave a few people unhappy but that's how it goes. Call your internet provider and complain.

·
Mentor
565 Posts
Ten points to @wmb for a Ted Lasso reference.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Fine then! Let a streaming service have NFL Sunday Ticket. But don’t let it be an exclusive deal and take it away from customers who are set up with satellite accounts. Open it up for everyone on every available service. For cryin’ out loud. GEE WHIZ MAN how hard is that to understand? And don’t take the package away from residential customers. As I said not everyone is set up for streaming and they are finding this out with Bars & Restaurants. Not everyone is a college student walking around with an ipad everywhere they go who can stream on a device. For Gods Sake!

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,870 Posts
Of course most people here said...there's NO WAY that ST was leaving DirecTV, yet here we are....
That illusion rightly should have passed when it was publicly declared that AT&T wasn't going to renew the NFLST contract.

There are a few that are insisting that the streaming outfits couldn't reasonably offer access to some of the commercial venues but that's their blind faith.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,870 Posts
Let a streaming service have NFL Sunday Ticket. But don’t let it be an exclusive deal and take it away from customers who are set up with satellite accounts.
The NFL wants NFLST to be a streaming product. DIRECTV, through either of their offerings, simply can't deliver the eyeballs that the NFL wants. No amount of reasoning, pouting or complaining about one's bad broadband situation is going to change that. The NFL wants their money but they have no interest in working for it nor are they interested in managing multiple contracts or, heaven forbid, viewers.

Whether or not a deal can be worked out with the winner of the bid and one or both of the DBS companies is entirely undecided since the contract hasn't been let. Chipping away at exclusives is typically not in in the best business interests of the party holding the exclusive. I really don't think anyone can cut a fat hog off a few thousand(?) residential DBS subscribers.

That DIRECTV may or may not be trying to cut a deal with Amazon will be of no use if Apple wins. The one glimmer of hope is that the NFL doesn't seem to be opposed to a sub-deal.

·
Godfather
868 Posts
There are a few that are insisting that the streaming outfits couldn't reasonably offer access to some of the commercial venues but that's their blind faith.
Moreover, there is no evidence that the streaming outfits actually care about offering access to commercial venues. There is just an expectation that they will.

All there is right now is an article that says a deal is “close” according to unnamed sources. Oh, neither outfit responded to the reporter’s request for comments.

At this point, I’d suggest the following link for insight into the future of Sunday Ticket… it’s as good a source as any.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
The NFL wants NFLST to be a streaming product. DIRECTV, through either of their offerings, simply can't deliver the eyeballs that the NFL wants. No amount of reasoning, pouting or complaining about one's bad broadband situation is going to change that. The NFL wants their money but they have no interest in working for it nor are they interested in managing multiple contracts or, heaven forbid, viewers.

Whether or not a deal can be worked out with the winner of the bid and one or both of the DBS companies is entirely undecided since the contract hasn't been let. Chipping away at exclusives is typically not in in the best business interests of the party holding the exclusive. I really don't think anyone can cut a fat hog off a few thousand(?) residential DBS subscribers.

That DIRECTV may or may not be trying to cut a deal with Amazon will be of no use if Apple wins. The one glimmer of hope is that the NFL doesn't seem to be opposed to a sub-deal.
“A few thousand residential subscribers”? Better check your figures again. DIRECTV still has 14.6 million subscribers as of 2022. Still a lot of people and many of them have remained with DIRECTV because of NFL Sunday Ticket. There are a lot more than just “a few thousand” subscribers my friend. And not only does DIRECTV have NFL Sunday Ticket, there’s MLB Extra Innings, NBA League Pass, & NHL Center Ice they still provide for sports fans.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,870 Posts
“A few thousand subscribers”? Better check your figures again. DIRECTV still has 14.6 million subscribers as of 2022.
The official subscriber numbers for DIRECTV DBS haven't been shared in quite a while (since the regrouping of DIRECTV as a "non-core asset"). It is unclear where the numbers that Statista uses came from and whether or not they included DIRECTV Stream (it seems likely that they do). In Q4 2021, DIRECTV was estimated to be bleeding between 400,000 and 600,000 customers per quarter so it wouldn't be unreasonable to assume that the number, if accurate, is now closer to 13.5 million today (again, this probably includes DIRECTV Stream that appears to be taking an increasing bite out the DBS subscriber base).
Still a lot of people and many of them have remained with DIRECTV because of NFL Sunday Ticket. There are a lot mors than just “a few thousand” subscribers my friend.
I'm talking specifically about those who would pay for NFLST only if they were able to get it through DIRECTV DBS service. The number of paying NFLST subscribers (back when DIRECTV wasn't giving it away to just about everyone) was estimated to be around 2.3 million. This number would surely include anyone who was being "comped" NFLST for whatever reason. According to an May article from the nexttv.com website, a survey by S&P Kagan (presumably conducted before DIRECTV was giving away NFLST to all comers) estimated that 23% of DIRECTV DBS's residential subscribers were paying and 16% were being "comped" (7% weren't sure). Further, it seems likely that this number included some sort of factor to account for commercial venue subscriptions.

If you subtract out those that are willing/wanting NFLST over broadband, there's probably not many left. If DIRECTV were able to work a deal with the winner, it doesn't seem reasonable to assume that DIRECTV would offer NFLST at a reduced price but I suppose it could happen.

·
Premium Member
11,395 Posts
"Hello, I'd like to open a business account with DIRECTV."
"Okay, what's the name of your establishment?"
"It's, ummm.....it's a bar. It's called...ummm....The Garage. A real down home, blue collar place. Really small place."
"Sounds fun! What's your maximum seating capacity?"
Counts seats on the garage couch and workbench chair. "Uhhhh....four. Four seats."
Too bad the cheapest tier is for crowd capacity of 99 or less, and costs well over $1000 per season. Still, if you're willing to pay for it, I think that's probably possible. You might have to "incorporate" your garage so you can get a tax ID, and have your local fire marshal produce an official crowd capacity form to send them.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,870 Posts
No they don't. They want to sell it to whoever is willing to pay them the most money. If that was Directv, they'd happily leave it satellite only.
Absent interest from DIRECTV or DISH, that leaves streaming. You couldn't reasonably work with a cable company since they don't cover enough ground.

·
Super Moderator
53,990 Posts
521 - 540 of 1258 Posts