DBSTalk Forum banner
561 - 580 of 643 Posts

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,965 Posts
You said that it couldn't be a cable operator since they don't cover enough ground. Yet the largest cable operator has more subscribers than DIRECTV. So it isn't about "ground". It is about a distributor believing that having Sunday Ticket is worth the billions per year in fees paid to the NFL.
When I say "ground", I mean square miles of service area. Comcast, the largest cable operator in the U.S., covers about 25% of the population but they cover a MUCH smaller percentage of the square miles.

As I noodled in post #552, the price of NFLST is rocketing up at least 150% so the cable company would presumably need to be 2.5 times the size that DIRECTV was when they were actually making money on it (probably more than 50 million TV subscribers). Comcast currently has less than 18 million TV subscribers (and the number is dropping at least as fast as DIRECTV is shedding customers).

According to Statista, Comcast lost 1.67 million TV customers in 2021 alone and their rate of decline wasn't letting up.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Not Sunday Ticket Related. But NBC just announced that they are moving the very popular soap opera "Days Of Our Lives" to Peacock. A program that has been on NBC Network for nearly 6 decades (57 years). On just my local NBC Affiliate’s Facebook page alone the comments are overwhelmingly against this move. Fans of the show are steaming mad and JUST wait. Sports Fans are going to be Mad As HELL when all these sports start moving to streaming. This is just the START. Mark My Words. You can call it pouting all you want. People are GOING to be MAD! Folks everywhere are going to be against moving popular programs and sports to exclusive streaming. They are starting to in a way force people to stream and it’s not right and not gonna fly!

·
Godfather
852 Posts
Not Sunday Ticket Related. But NBC just announced that they are moving the very popular soap opera "Days Of Our Lives" to Peacock. A program that has been on NBC Network for nearly 6 decades (57 years). On just my local NBC Affiliate’s Facebook page alone the comments are overwhelmingly against this move. Fans of tge show are steaming mad and JUST wait. Sports Fans are going to be Mad As HELL when all these sports start moving to streaming. This is just the START. Mark My Words. You can call it pouting all you want. People are GOING to be MAD! Folks everywhere are going to be against moving popular programs and sports to exclusive streaming. They are starting to in a way force people to stream and it’s not right and not gonna fly!
Meh. Yes, people are going to be mad. They will be in denial. They will bargain… they will get depressed. But eventually, they will accept the move. You know, typical stages of grief.

You seem to be somewhere between anger and bargaining. Eventually, you will accept the inevitable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,965 Posts
People are GOING to be MAD!
Some will be (out of muscle memory if nothing else) but many more won't. Not being hogtied to a conventional MVPD is a big deal in a world where conventional pay TV subscriptions are dwindling by the millions annually.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Meh. Yes, people are going to be mad. They will be in denial. They will bargain… they will get depressed. But eventually, they will accept the move. You know, typical stages of grief.

You seem to be somewhere between anger and bargaining. Eventually, you will accept the inevitable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
People aren’t gonna stand for it. They’ll boycott the streaming service is what will happen.

·
Premium Member
2,951 Posts
People may be mad but make no mistake it is gonna fly. This is what networks are doing with shows that still have an audience but they are on the verge of being canceled so they move them to streaming only instead of canceling them. It happened with Seal Team and Dancing with the Stars and now Days Of Our Lives. The people that watch Days Of Our Lives should be happy they can watch with the free version of Peacock unless the plan is to put it in the Premium only version. With Seal Team and Dancing with the Stars peoples only options are to subscribe to Paramount+ and Disney+.

But people have a choice...either watch it on the streaming service or don't watch it at all.

·
Premium Member
11,335 Posts
Cable TV subs. Internet subscriptions are higher but the largest cable provider has more TV subscriptions than DIRECTV (including non-satellite DIRECTV). Granted Xfinity became the largest while losing millions of subscribers - but DIRECTV passed them on the way down losing more subscribers.

Xfinity could be a good partner for the NFL - serving their own "cable" markets as well as the rest of the country via streaming. They want to launch a nationwide streaming service. Why not use NFL ST to pull in customers?
Except cable TV companies no longer care about TV, they consider themselves internet providers, with TV just a legacy service. They don't care about increasing subscriptions for TV, they don't even make money on TV now. Its a loss leader to sell broadband these days.

That's why they've all rebranded with names like Xfinity or Xtream, they want to cut the ties to the past in the minds of consumers and want them to think of fast internet instead of stodgy old cable TV.

·
Godfather
945 Posts
Not Sunday Ticket Related. But NBC just announced that they are moving the very popular soap opera "Days Of Our Lives" to Peacock. A program that has been on NBC Network for nearly 6 decades (57 years). On just my local NBC Affiliate’s Facebook page alone the comments are overwhelmingly against this move. Fans of the show are steaming mad and JUST wait. Sports Fans are going to be Mad As HELL when all these sports start moving to streaming. This is just the START. Mark My Words. You can call it pouting all you want. People are GOING to be MAD! Folks everywhere are going to be against moving popular programs and sports to exclusive streaming. They are starting to in a way force people to stream and it’s not right and not gonna fly!
I'm old enough to remember being able to dial a phone number with only 7 digits. I worked with a guy that swore up and down that there was no way he was going to dial 10 digits. You sound just like him.

Your hatred for change has you convinced that everyone feels the same way just because people *****ed and moaned on a Facebook page. It's called confirmation bias.

Let me tell you what I think will happen. "Days of Our Lives" will move to Peacock and some people will never watch it again. And on that day, the sun will rise in the east and set in the west and as the days continue, "Days of Our Lives" will likely be joined by other shows and the fans of those shows will sub to Peacock to watch. And some won't.

But...progress won't be stopped because YOU have crappy internet!

·
Premium Member
2,951 Posts
I am actually laughing at that but just watch the networks change things when people decide you know what, we’re not gonna pay for this anymore.
The Networks have already embraced streaming. Well except maybe FOX but they will come around. As will the rest of the civilized world.

·
Premium Member
2,951 Posts
Except cable TV companies no longer care about TV, they consider themselves internet providers, with TV just a legacy service. They don't care about increasing subscriptions for TV, they don't even make money on TV now. Its a loss leader to sell broadband these days.

That's why they've all rebranded with names like Xfinity or Xtream, they want to cut the ties to the past in the minds of consumers and want them to think of fast internet instead of stodgy old cable TV.
Those old cable companies that are now focused on selling internet services better start guarding their golden egg or their internet subscriptions will have the same fate as their cable TV subscriptions.

How Verizon 'fixed wireless' and T-Mobile home broadband is converting cable customers

I switched from Spectrum recently where I was on the 300/10 plan for $74.99 per month to T-Mobile 5G Home Internet where I am averaging around 350/90 for $50 per month.

·
Hall Of Fame
8,721 Posts

Just curious, how is your cell phone service there, could you not get internet through one of the cell phone companies?

·
Cool Member
48 Posts
Isn't it just a continuation of the progression TV viewing is making? How many college bowl games can you watch OTA? As far as the comments on Facebook, one would expect that the comments would be skewed to the negative. Happy or indifferent people by and large don't post about it.

·
Super Moderator
53,717 Posts
Except cable TV companies no longer care about TV, they consider themselves internet providers, with TV just a legacy service.
Comcast cares about Peacock ... to the extent of mirroring most NBC shows to the service and moving programs off of broadcast to boost the service. No, I don't believe Comcast/Xfinity is interested in NFL ST ... but they are a company with a large subscriber base that could be served via their own network and the ability to expand beyond their "ground" to serve customers nationwide.

·
Super Moderator
53,717 Posts
I'm old enough to remember being able to dial a phone number with only 7 digits.
Still possible in many areas ... my area code lost seven digit dialing last year due to the introduction of "988" as the new suicide prevention hotline. If you are really old you may remember five digit dialing ... or no dialing (just ring up the operator and tell them who you wanted to speak to).

·
Premium Member
2,951 Posts
Still possible in many areas ... my area code lost seven digit dialing last year due to the introduction of "988" as the new suicide prevention hotline. If you are really old you may remember five digit dialing ... or no dialing (just ring up the operator and tell them who you wanted to speak to).
Unfortunately I am old enough to remember 5 digit dialing.

Building Font Art Event House

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,965 Posts
If you are really old you may remember five digit dialing ...
I remember four digit dialing in Lincoln City, Oregon. Since they only had one prefix (994), there was no need to dial it. When they added a prefix (996), seven digit dialing became mandatory.

Five digit dialing was before my time but I've seen some old literature that had "Empire 4-nnnn" printed on it (what would be come 364-nnnn).

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I can’t wait until Sunday Ticket somehow stays with DIRECTV & yeah it probably will be on a streaming service too BUT I am gonna believe it will stay on DIRECTV. Then all of these comments will all be for nothing. I am betting it stays.

561 - 580 of 643 Posts