DBSTalk Forum banner
581 - 600 of 644 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,951 Posts
I remember four digit dialing in Lincoln City, Oregon. Since they only had one prefix (994), there was no need to dial it. When they added a prefix (996), seven digit dialing became mandatory.

Five digit dialing was before my time but I've seen some old literature that had "Empire 4-nnnn" printed on it (what would be come 364-nnnn).
Growing up in a small town in Illinois our exchange name was NORmandy but only the number had to be dialed which was 2-nnnn

·
Godfather
852 Posts
Comcast cares about Peacock ...
Comcast cares about their NBC business unit and their cable business unit. They could spin either one off without any impact on their thoughts of the remaining business units. All they want is a return on investment.

Kind of like how parents love each child equally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
53,718 Posts
I am gonna believe it will stay on DIRECTV.
Sorry. This isn't The Polar Express and it would take a Miracle on 42nd Street to keep NFL ST on DIRECTV. There is no level of belief that will change facts.

Reactions: the2130

·
Godfather
945 Posts
Still possible in many areas ... my area code lost seven digit dialing last year due to the introduction of "988" as the new suicide prevention hotline. If you are really old you may remember five digit dialing ... or no dialing (just ring up the operator and tell them who you wanted to speak to).
Well, thank you. I thought I was old until I read that. Turns out, I'm still a young 'un. :)

·
Godfather
945 Posts
I can’t wait until Sunday Ticket somehow stays with DIRECTV & yeah it probably will be on a streaming service too BUT I am gonna believe it will stay on DIRECTV. Then all of these comments will all be for nothing. I am betting it stays.
Well, it seems you're changing your tune a bit. It's certainly possible that Directv could cut a deal. Likely? No...but possible.
But if I were you, I wouldn't bet the mortgage on it.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
A lot of the online articles read “Roger Goodell believes that Sunday Ticket is headed for streaming” that isn’t 100% set in stone. He just “believes” it will. Well I can comment all day long I “believe” that it could but it also “may not” So we’ll just all have to wait and see now won’t we? It’s not a 100% guarantee that it will move to an exclusive streaming format. Have a field day with it. Donald Trump “Believed” he won the 2020 Presidential Election, BUT he’s not sitting in the White House now is he? :LOL:

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,965 Posts
He just “believes” it will.
Roger Goodell knows for certain who has been involved in the bidding and that group consists of Amazon, Apple and maybe Disney. There isn't a "white knight" that is going to front DIRECTV the more than $2.5 billion a year that it would require to wrestle the NFLST contract away from the current bidders. DIRECTV's value was around $10 billion at the time of the merger so it isn't coming out of petty cash.

DIRECTV can't even cover the costs for 2022 but AT&T agreed to make up much of what DIRECTV couldn't afford (especially important given that DIRECTV seems to be substantially giving away NFLST to their residential DBS customers for the 2022 season).

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Roger Goodell knows for certain who has been involved in the bidding and that group consists of Amazon, Apple and maybe Disney. There isn't a "white knight" that is going to front DIRECTV the more than $2.5 billion a year that it would require to wrestle the NFLST contract away from the current bidders. DIRECTV's value was around $10 billion at the time of the merger so it isn't coming out of petty cash.

DIRECTV can't even cover the costs for 2022 but AT&T agreed to make up much of what DIRECTV couldn't afford (especially important given that DIRECTV seems to be substantially giving away NFLST to their residential DBS customers for the 2022 season).
Yeah we already know DIRECTV is giving the package away this year. Goodell knows who’s involved in the negotiations but noone has ponied up that huge $3 Billion asking price now have they?

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,965 Posts
Goodell knows who’s involved in the negotiations but noone has ponied up that huge $3 Billion asking price now have they?
No but we have heard from the top man at DIRECTV that they wouldn't be among the bidders.

The bidding war will be won and it won't be a price that DIRECTV could have hoped to afford at their peak of popularity.

·
Super Moderator
53,718 Posts
Yeah we already know DIRECTV is giving the package away this year. Goodell knows who’s involved in the negotiations but noone has ponied up that huge $3 Billion asking price now have they?
That is your opinion. Can you categorically guarantee that there isn't a deal that has already been made? Do you have any proof to the claim that no one has offered $3 Billion for the 2023 season or are you simply assuming that there isn't a deal because one has not been announced?

·
Cool Member/Supporter
284 Posts
If the magic genie came to me this evening and told me I had one wish with zero restrictions, it wouldn't be for world peace, or long life, or a gazillion dollars, it would be for the NFL to announce who got Sunday Ticket so we could end this thread once and for all !

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,965 Posts
If the magic genie came to me this evening and told me I had one wish with zero restrictions, it wouldn't be for world peace, or long life, or a gazillion dollars, it would be for the NFL to announce who got Sunday Ticket so we could end this thread once and for all !
Alas, even when the winner was announced, there will continue to be the speculation about whether or not DIRECTV is going to work out a sub-distribution deal.

·
Premium Member
2,951 Posts
Refresh my memory...since the beginning of DirecTV having NFL Sunday Ticket as an EXCLUSIVE, how many other services did DirecTV work out a sub-distribution deal with?

·
Registered
971 Posts
People may be mad but make no mistake it is gonna fly. This is what networks are doing with shows that still have an audience but they are on the verge of being canceled so they move them to streaming only instead of canceling them. It happened with Seal Team and Dancing with the Stars and now Days Of Our Lives. The people that watch Days Of Our Lives should be happy they can watch with the free version of Peacock unless the plan is to put it in the Premium only version. With Seal Team and Dancing with the Stars peoples only options are to subscribe to Paramount+ and Disney+.

But people have a choice...either watch it on the streaming service or don't watch it at all.
Yes, that has happened with a number of shows, like "Seal Team" and "Evil" on CBS. Instead of being canceled, they moved over to Paramount+ for additional seasons. For those who have insufficient bandwidth to stream, they can download episodes and watch them.

·
Super Moderator
53,718 Posts
It really sucks that we're discussing people and not the product offering. Sure, it is annoying that NFL ST is moving to another service (it would be annoying even if it moved from DIRECTV to DISH for the people who had to replace their satellite systems). But change is a part of life.

Denial, anger, bargaining, depression, acceptance ... it is time to move to the end of that list.

If you or a loved one cannot live without out of market Sunday football please seek professional help.

Reactions: the2130

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I’m predicting that NFL Sunday Ticket opens up to multiple providers. Sure it may move to a streaming service such as Apple TV+ or Amazon Prime. But maybe it becomes available to Cable and stays on DIRECTV & opens to DISH. Maximize the availability to everybody.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,965 Posts
I’m predicting that NFL Sunday Ticket opens up to multiple providers.
To do so with full knowledge that the coming deal will be exclusive (just as the DIRECTV deal was) seems unthinkable.

·
Icon
3,409 Posts
I hope its streaming + DirecTV (residential)

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Rob37
581 - 600 of 644 Posts