DBSTalk Forum banner
641 - 660 of 993 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,367 Posts
I know one damn thing. I love to watch football. But I won’t pay noone $500 for it. There’s a lot of other places that $500 needs to spent for like putting food on the family dinner table for starters. I don’t care if DIRECTV has the package or Amazon or Apple or Google. Nobody is gonna be able to afford to pay for a $500 package. At $300 right now it’s already a lot of dough & $400 if you get Max. Of course this year a lot of folks including myself are getting the package for free. Pay $500 to watch a “buffering circle” spin around on your screen because they decided it would be better to move the package to a streaming service. Sounds like a real plan there Hoss!
On that questionnaire I put the price at $100 I would be willing to pay. :LOL:

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I know one damn thing. I love to watch football. But I won’t pay noone $500 for it. There’s a lot of other places that $500 needs to spent for like putting food on the family dinner table for starters. I don’t care if DIRECTV has the package or Amazon or Apple or Google. Nobody is gonna be able to afford to pay for a $500 package. At $300 right now it’s already a lot of dough & $400 if you get Max. Of course this year a lot of folks including myself are getting the package for free. Pay $500 to watch a “buffering circle” spin around on your screen because they decided it would be better to move the package to a streaming service. Sounds like a real plan there Hoss!
Pricing is likely to be in line with what DirecTV has been charging. They raised the price almost every year until it got close to $300, where it has been for the last four years. DirecTV's market research probably showed that subscriptions would drop at $300 or above.

·
Premium Member
11,398 Posts
I'd be curious to know the plan cost sweet spot of results.
It is probably around the current price because a lot of the way consumers value things where value isn't apparent is based on what the current price is.

Restaurants will exploit that with something called "anchor pricing". You want to include one or two items that cost a lot more than the rest, and don't necessarily even care how well they sell. That fools (and many psychological studies back this up) consumers into believing all the other prices are reasonable. That works whether the bulk of your menu is $6 items or $60 items.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Pricing is likely to be in line with what DirecTV has been charging. They raised the price almost every year until it got close to $300, where it has been for the last four years. DirecTV's market research probably showed that subscriptions would drop at $300 or above.
Yeah there’s no doubt it will be $300 at minimum and for it to be streamed. 👎

·
Hall Of Fame
2,776 Posts
Take it up with your internet provider. I have streaming ST....no issues and I have MLBTV....no issues.

·
Icon
3,499 Posts
I know right, we are simply trying to say streaming stuff will not work for everyone

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Rob37

·
Godfather
953 Posts
You really need to point your complaints at your internet provider. The NFL doesn't care. And now you're complaining about a price that just happened to be thrown out in a survey? Jeez, man, settle down and wait to see how it plays out.

·
Super Moderator
53,879 Posts
I know right, we are simply trying to say streaming stuff will not work for everyone
And few would say that streaming WOULD work for "everyone". We need less people on the far extremes of the argument. People who say that streaming won't work for anyone are wrong. People who say streaming will work for everyone are wrong. Absolutes are always wrong. Somewhere in the middle is the truth.

Statistically broadband is subscribed to by more people in the US than DIRECTV. While I am sure that TPG would not mind having over 100 million subscribers - especially 100 million paying $300 for ST - that isn't going to happen. Even getting to 5 million paying $300 for ST is not going to happen considering the dwindling size of the subscriber base. Finding 10 million people with broadband willing to pay $300 for ST is possible - there are a lot more people with broadband than with DIRECTV.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
No streaming won’t work for everyone. Not everyone wants to use a device or sit in front of a computer screen to watch television or watch football. What’s the point of buying a large screen set to watch on? Not every television streams and has apps for download to stream crap. I still have an old Vizio that was bought in 2009 that still works great but has no smarthub to download apps for streaming like the newer televisions have and I bet I am not the only person who still has a television like that. It doesn’t even have an option to connect to wi-fi.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
No streaming won’t work for everyone. Not everyone wants to use a device or sit in front of a computer screen to watch television or watch football. What’s the point of buying a large screen set to watch on? Not every television streams and has apps for download to stream crap. I still have an old Vizio that was bought in 2009 that still works great but has no smarthub to download apps for streaming like the newer televisions have and I bet I am not the only person who still has a television like that.
If you have an older TV, all you need is a streaming device like a Roku, but I imagine you already know that.

·
Super Moderator
53,879 Posts
yeah and force people to buy more equipment spend more money. It’s crazy.
Going out of your way to find reasons to hate streaming is crazy. The "more equipment" isn't expensive. If someone is willing to pay $300 for NFL ST what is $25 for a stream box? And often such a purchase will include a free streaming box. Sling offers a free ($79 value) streaming box that can stream other services for new customers who pay for their first two months. I'm sure Apple TV (or whomever wins NFL ST) will have similar offers.

·
Icon
3,499 Posts
Or have 15 different login(s) like what MLB is doing (peacock, apple, MLB, TV provider, prime ... )

Crazy

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,427 Posts
A basic streaming device (Roku or Fire TV stick) is less than 1/3 the price of a typical month's subscription to a DIRECTV base programming package, fees and other charges. Looking at it another way, it is just about the same a seven months of TV fees for a single DIRECTV STB! It is a one-time investment that has a fairly long useful life. There are no moving parts and no monthly costs. The only thing it requires is a modest internet connection and an open HDMI input. This is compared with a DIRECTV subscription and fees that will typically run upwards of $1,800+ per year (before NFLST).

It seems crazy to spend that much money annually just to have access to the NFLST product. Even if you have to spend over $100/month to get a serviceable Internet connection you've likely saved enough money to pay for NFLST.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,427 Posts
So now it is too many logins? Good grief.
This is probably only an issue if you're using a web browser and not using its build-in credentials manager. Most streaming devices cache credentials for a long, long time. Some credentials even seem to survive re-installation of the app.

Some prefer having their viewing choices categorized but I acknowledge the attraction of a unified UI.

641 - 660 of 993 Posts