DBSTalk Forum banner
681 - 700 of 993 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,286 Posts
No. The NFL loses the strength of its bargaining position then. It becomes just another premium package to the distributors. Having an exclusive is a cachet, it’s a mark of prestige. It sets the service offering it apart from the others.

As a non-exclusive, they would pay the NFL a per-subscriber fee, just like HBO, Showtime, Cinemax, and the other premium channels. No guaranteed money. Best case under this scenario for the NFL is a guaranteed minimum number of subscribers for each cable co, maybe 5-10% of subscriber count of the service for a percentage of the subscriber fee for each customer subscribed. The NFL would get more if the number of subscribers were more than that, but that’s no where near $50 million each, let alone $500 million. This would be a race to the bottom and the cable companies would minimize risk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Is that why they spread their games out over five networks (Amazon counts as one now)? The nfl is not like other sports. Or anything else at all. They won’t lose bargaining power because they would set the price if multiple companies where to carry it and if they can’t get that price then they’d pare down who can have it.

I still suspect it may end up at DIRECTV and say Apple or something like Apple has it and resells it via DIRECTV as well. We will see.

·
Super Moderator
53,902 Posts
The NFL will remain on DIRECTV. And DISH. And other MVPDs. The NFL will remain on free OTA TV.
The NFL has sold its games in a collection of exclusives, some as national broadcasts - some as regional broadcasts. NBC owns Sunday Night. ESPN/ABC owns Monday Night. CBS owns the AFC. FOX owns the NFC. Amazon has just purchased the exclusive for Thursday Night.

Each exclusive remains an exclusive with two exceptions:
1) NFL Network Red Zone showing live cut ins of all Sunday Afternoon games (CBS and Fox)
2) DIRECTV offering out of market Sunday Afternoon games (games not covered by another exclusive)

DIRECTV found it worthwhile to pay an increasing amount of money (the last contract being $1.5 billion per year) to deliver those out of market games to their subscribers AS AN EXCLUSIVE. As the contract ends it is no longer worthwhile for DIRECTV to pay $1.5 billion per year for the rights - and the NFL reportedly wants $2-3 billion from the next company.

Splitting the exclusive reduces its value. It is optimistic to believe the NFL could build a "coalition" of companies that would share co-exclusive delivery paying a flat rate the way DIRECTV paid the NFL. It is even more optimistic to believe DIRECTV would have any part of such a deal.

There are a couple of ways this exclusive will go: Most likely to a streaming company who may or may not allow DIRECTV for Business to sell the package (not residential). Or it could follow the path of MLB, NHL and NBA out of market with the NFL selling via many MVPDs and hoping the total subscriber count would be enough to cover the $2-3 billion they want from the service. I believe the NFL will do their best to follow the exclusive route that provides guaranteed money - just like every other exclusive deal that they currently have.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
The NFL will remain on DIRECTV. And DISH. And other MVPDs. The NFL will remain on free OTA TV.
The NFL has sold its games in a collection of exclusives, some as national broadcasts - some as regional broadcasts. NBC owns Sunday Night. ESPN/ABC owns Monday Night. CBS owns the AFC. FOX owns the NFC. Amazon has just purchased the exclusive for Thursday Night.

Each exclusive remains an exclusive with two exceptions:
1) NFL Network Red Zone showing live cut ins of all Sunday Afternoon games (CBS and Fox)
2) DIRECTV offering out of market Sunday Afternoon games (games not covered by another exclusive)

DIRECTV found it worthwhile to pay an increasing amount of money (the last contract being $1.5 billion per year) to deliver those out of market games to their subscribers AS AN EXCLUSIVE. As the contract ends it is no longer worthwhile for DIRECTV to pay $1.5 billion per year for the rights - and the NFL reportedly wants $2-3 billion from the next company.

Splitting the exclusive reduces its value. It is optimistic to believe the NFL could build a "coalition" of companies that would share co-exclusive delivery paying a flat rate the way DIRECTV paid the NFL. It is even more optimistic to believe DIRECTV would have any part of such a deal.

There are a couple of ways this exclusive will go: Most likely to a streaming company who may or may not allow DIRECTV for Business to sell the package (not residential). Or it could follow the path of MLB, NHL and NBA out of market with the NFL selling via many MVPDs and hoping the total subscriber count would be enough to cover the $2-3 billion they want from the service. I believe the NFL will do their best to follow the exclusive route that provides guaranteed money - just like every other exclusive deal that they currently have.
Amazon also just scored a Black Friday game starting in 2023 I believe.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
sorry for snappin’ I am a Bears fan. I know they haven’t been good in forever. I am gonna miss seeing them since I don’t live in Illinois anymore and rely on the Ticket to get their games.
That's okay, I just wondered which teams you were following. I follow out-of-market teams as well - the Cardinals in baseball and the Rams in football. I also watch the Chiefs and Falcons games when they don't conflict. I signed up with DirecTV back in 2003 so I could watch the Rams games and I haven't missed a game since then. I like watching on the DVR, but I'm also okay with streaming as long as it has the same functionality - i.e, being able to watch multiple games at once without missing anything.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Perhaps more chipping away at the NFLST product.
Getting away from tradition is more like it. Football especially pro football is meant to be played on Sunday. Got games moving to all over the week. I think many here can agree and even many players agree they hate Thursday Night Games. Gonna have one on Black Friday now too when that usually has been reserved for a few end of season college football games. 🙄

·
Icon
3,514 Posts
I'm sure we already know this but D* may be showing the Amazon TNF games for restaurants and businesses...

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
53,902 Posts
I'm sure we already know this but D* may be showing the Amazon TNF games for restaurants and businesses...
Already discussed. Possibility good for businesses but an article quoting another article isn't confirmation of anything other than the next author's ability to read (and often confirms that the author skimming content for his own site can't read when they change details).

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,497 Posts
Scheduling games outside of the Sunday afternoon timeslots has little effect on NFLST. It just gives fans the opportunity to watch more games.
If NFLST offers less games, it decreases in value. It may not be a big decrease but the hits have become larger with time.

It works against DIRECTV as well as DIRECTV subscribers are forced to use a competitor's service if they want to view those games.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
If NFLST offers less games, it decreases in value. It may not be a big decrease but the hits have become larger with time.

It works against DIRECTV as well as DIRECTV subscribers are forced to use a competitor's service if they want to view those games.
Not really. There are more games than ever on competing services, but the NFL will be able to sell the package for twice what they received on the previous contract.

·
Premium Member
11,398 Posts

The NFL doesn't care about the value of NFLST. They are getting $1 billion a year from Amazon for Thursday Night football, and that only decreases NFLST by one game. It might cut a few hundred million off what the bidding for NFLST would be without it, but it makes more money for the NFL.

It doesn't work against Directv because they when they bid for NFLST last time that TNF existed, so they knew how many games they would be getting. Having it be exclusive on Amazon for the last season they have NFLST rights doesn't make any difference. People who want NFLST and to watch on Thursdays will need both Directv and Amazon. Next year they will likely need something else to watch NFLST regardless of how TNF is broadcast.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,497 Posts
Not really. There are more games than ever on competing services, but the NFL will be able to sell the package for twice what they received on the previous contract.
I'm not talking about the NFL's pricing to the winning bidder. I'm talking about the value of the NFLST package to potential subscribers.

·
Icon
1,188 Posts
i went by the Dish booth at the Wisconsin state fair.. they of course , tried to get me to switch.. i asked if they had Sunday ticket..they said NO >.but D* won't have it either next year .. and they were just about dancing about it..they were speaking with GLEE...

·
Icon
3,514 Posts
i went by the Dish booth at the Wisconsin state fair.. they of course , tried to get me to switch.. i asked if they had Sunday ticket..they said NO >.but D* won't have it either next year .. and they were just about dancing about it..they were speaking with GLEE...
Different sport but would have asked if they got Dodgers or Red Sox or NBA games in 4K lol (which they don't) .

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
53,902 Posts
Different sport but would have asked if they got Dodgers or Red Sox or NBA games in 4K lol (which they don't) .
That would be a weird question to ask at the Wisconsin State Fair ... but they could have been asked about Brewers games on Bally Sports Wisconsin. :D

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I'm not talking about the NFL's pricing to the winning bidder. I'm talking about the value of the NFLST package to potential subscribers.
Has no effect on the value of NFLST to subscribers, either. I've been a subscriber for almost 20 years. A Black Friday telecast just means there is one more game I'll be able to watch that week.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,497 Posts
Has no effect on the value of NFLST to subscribers, either.
Don't assume that this raiding of exclusive content doesn't have an impact. As with other forms of conventional pay TV, people are thinking harder and harder about what they're getting for their money.

681 - 700 of 993 Posts