DBSTalk Forum banner
41 - 59 of 156 Posts

· Registered
1,330 Posts
A lot of the online articles read “Roger Goodell believes that Sunday Ticket is headed for streaming” that isn’t 100% set in stone. He just “believes” it will. Well I can comment all day long I “believe” that it could but it also “may not” So we’ll just all have to wait and see now won’t we? It’s not a 100% guarantee that it will move to an exclusive streaming format. Have a field day with it. Donald Trump “Believed” he won the 2020 Presidential Election, BUT he’s not sitting in the White House now is he? :LOL:

· Registered
1,330 Posts
Roger Goodell knows for certain who has been involved in the bidding and that group consists of Amazon, Apple and maybe Disney. There isn't a "white knight" that is going to front DIRECTV the more than $2.5 billion a year that it would require to wrestle the NFLST contract away from the current bidders. DIRECTV's value was around $10 billion at the time of the merger so it isn't coming out of petty cash.

DIRECTV can't even cover the costs for 2022 but AT&T agreed to make up much of what DIRECTV couldn't afford (especially important given that DIRECTV seems to be substantially giving away NFLST to their residential DBS customers for the 2022 season).
Yeah we already know DIRECTV is giving the package away this year. Goodell knows who’s involved in the negotiations but noone has ponied up that huge $3 Billion asking price now have they?

· Registered
1,330 Posts
I’m predicting that NFL Sunday Ticket opens up to multiple providers. Sure it may move to a streaming service such as Apple TV+ or Amazon Prime. But maybe it becomes available to Cable and stays on DIRECTV & opens to DISH. Maximize the availability to everybody.

· Registered
1,330 Posts
To do so with full knowledge that the coming deal will be exclusive (just as the DIRECTV deal was) seems unthinkable.
We don’t know yet if it’s going to be exclusive or not. As I stated in an earlier post. The $3 Billion asking price is steep. Sure Amazon & Apple are the two richest companies there are. But haven’t jumped in with both feet yet now have they?

· Registered
1,330 Posts
I predict that you are wrong. Every indication is that the NFL is seeking a high dollar EXCLUSIVE deal with one distributor. If you don't understand what "exclusive" means you might want to check with your significant other. The NFL does not get $3 billion dollars per year from a non-exclusive contract.

If NFL ST ends up on multiple providers it will be a massive failure for the NFL's negotiation. I would not be surprised to see NFL ST not offered to anyone if the NFL can't get a $3 billion exclusive deal. Or the NFL could bring it in house and offer it as an add on to NFL+. Streaming only, sorry.

Wishful thinking will not put NFL ST on DIRECTV in the 2023 season. It is time to say bye bye.
And what if you’re wrong about all this? A deal might be made tomorrow & it might be at the last minute. And DIRECTV still could hold on to it even if somebody else gets it. You don’t know just like I or anyone else yet.

· Registered
1,330 Posts
It does seem all but certain that NFLST will be exclusive to a streaming service after this season. That's not necessarily bad news for those of us who have been subscribing to the package on DirecTV, depending on what features the streaming service offers. It's even possible they could improve on what DirecTV offers. Those who don't have adequate Internet service should probably look into options like the Starlink service that was mentioned earlier in this thread.
That’s okay. I’ll do without the NFL if & when I can’t get out of market games on DIRECTV. DIRECTV has other programming other than football. The NFL is becoming very expensive anyway & I am starting to rethink paying to see it after this season. It’s been a nice run on DIRECTV. The best picture possible. When it goes to streaming and bandwidth becomes an issue and watchability what I am gonna call it isn’t as great as DIRECTV has provided, the NFL will see the mistake they’re about to make if it does move to wi-fi reliability. They are gonna lose a very loyal viewer but hey the sun still comes up in the east and sets in the west :)

· Registered
1,330 Posts
Unless you've been living under a rock and haven’t kept up with the real news. We could be heading into a recession come 2023. The NFL might just have to take what it can get when their broadcasting rights end after DIRECTV’s last season which is this year. People aren’t gonna be paying $300 or $400 for a pricy package when people start getting laid off. It might be a take it or leave it thing. Sure Apple and Amazon have the money but will they get enough people to buy the package after the deal is signed. We’ll see won’t we.

· Registered
1,330 Posts
When I signed on just now there was a 4 question survey about NFL Sunday Ticket that popped up at the bottom of my phone. Has anyone else seen it and answered the 4 questions?

· Registered
1,330 Posts
I know one damn thing. I love to watch football. But I won’t pay noone $500 for it. There’s a lot of other places that $500 needs to spent for like putting food on the family dinner table for starters. I don’t care if DIRECTV has the package or Amazon or Apple or Google. Nobody is gonna be able to afford to pay for a $500 package. At $300 right now it’s already a lot of dough & $400 if you get Max. Of course this year a lot of folks including myself are getting the package for free. Pay $500 to watch a “buffering circle” spin around on your screen because they decided it would be better to move the package to a streaming service. Sounds like a real plan there Hoss!

· Registered
1,330 Posts
Pricing is likely to be in line with what DirecTV has been charging. They raised the price almost every year until it got close to $300, where it has been for the last four years. DirecTV's market research probably showed that subscriptions would drop at $300 or above.
Yeah there’s no doubt it will be $300 at minimum and for it to be streamed. 👎

· Registered
1,330 Posts
No streaming won’t work for everyone. Not everyone wants to use a device or sit in front of a computer screen to watch television or watch football. What’s the point of buying a large screen set to watch on? Not every television streams and has apps for download to stream crap. I still have an old Vizio that was bought in 2009 that still works great but has no smarthub to download apps for streaming like the newer televisions have and I bet I am not the only person who still has a television like that. It doesn’t even have an option to connect to wi-fi.

· Registered
1,330 Posts
I am starting to accept it. The NFL Sunday Ticket will move to streaming. For an out of market fan like myself I won’t see the team I have always watched. Can’t do anything about it. There is another posting about they are gonna put a game on Amazon on Black Fridays. I don’t get Amazon. Oh well for all you who have great wi-fi congratulations and enjoy.

41 - 59 of 156 Posts